Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Spare parts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
*takes axle off ships to Canada* here crans I didn't need it anyways lol damn that sucks the place I used to work at wouldn't take parts that were installed but if it was the wrong part and you wanted the right one than they would take it back
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok then...that makes that idea useless rt now....lol
is are any of the boots torn..?
or is it just making noise?

kuzz some shops will rebuild yours(if u ask them), specially if u get a rebuild kit...
personally i wouldnt rebuild one if it was leaking grease...u never know exactly how bad it may have been damaged from lack of lube...but then again, can u even find a rebuild kit..?
most places dont even stock them anymore and have u order them and wait for it to come in...if they even sell them..

or i think(from seeing the turbo build thread and other things) ur pretty mechanically savvy crans..im sure you could rebuild them if u got a kit...its not as hard as building a turbo kit

either way hope u get it all figured out...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by nekkidlad
ok then...that makes that idea useless rt now....lol
is are any of the boots torn..?
or is it just making noise?

kuzz some shops will rebuild yours(if u ask them), specially if u get a rebuild kit...
personally i wouldnt rebuild one if it was leaking grease...u never know exactly how bad it may have been damaged from lack of lube...but then again, can u even find a rebuild kit..?
most places dont even stock them anymore and have u order them and wait for it to come in...if they even sell them..

or i think(from seeing the turbo build thread and other things) ur pretty mechanically savvy crans..im sure you could rebuild them if u got a kit...its not as hard as building a turbo kit

either way hope u get it all figured out...
i'm not even sure it's a CV joint, the boots are fine...but if i could get them for roughly $100 each, i would gladly replace them, but the online stores don't carry both sides. Basically i'm rebuilding my transmission again...if the noise is still present then i'll be looking at cv shafts, if i replace those and the noise is still there i have no choice but to blame the diff...i don't mind taking the transmission out again, i just didn't send the diff to Quaife cause shipping and inspection is over 100 GBP one way...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

gotcha....for some reason i was thinking u knew ur axles were bad and needed new/rebuilt ones...

jw...what kinda noise is it?...(squeal, groan, squeak, whine, grind...etc)
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

groan, howl...only when accelerating, that's why i blame the tranny/diff, but the transmission didn't show any signs of abnormal wear, so now i'm thinking it's the diff...but i won't know for sure until i replace the axles, or send the diff back to the UK, so the axles can be replaced in an hour or so, sending the diff could take weeks, so i run the risk of still having the noise and having to drop the tranny again, but at that point i would let it go until spring, at least i can drive the car, the diff has a lifetime warranty, i'm not worried, and the tranny checked out...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

yea the axles make much more sense to do first...logically and financially...
but my guess is the axles won't fix it...tho i hope it does for your pocket's/wallet's sake...lol

it's most likely internal to the trans...may or may not be the diff...

axle noises are clicking or clunking type...in my experience anything else is not the axles
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

yeah the tranny checked out though, so i'm thinking it's the LSD...i did not disassmble the shafts though, but i don't think that type of noise would be generated by gear bearings, to me it sounded like the main shafts or the diff had end play or something but i tore it down when it first started, so no visible damage was present, left me guessing, but at the same time gave me peace of mind...