Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Fried ecu... help?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fried ecu... help?

Ok, it seams that I fried my ecm while installing an anti theft relay. The car is a 2004 lancer ralliart 2.4 auto. She cranks but wont start. When you put the key in on, non of the normal engine electronics work/sound.

I thoght that I had blown a fuse but it doesn't seam like so, all the fuses are good. Checked the Relays and all are good, at least the ones that I was able to find. Any one know where is the specific fuse and relay for the ecu?

I use a meter to see if the power wires to the ecu where energized and they weren't while the key was on. I made a test and spliced a wire going direct to the battery to see if the ecu would power up and the car would start. Well the ecu powered up and the car started but it threw a P0606. This code basically means that the ecu has found a fault in its internals and is malfunctioning.

While the car was running with the power direct to the battery, the engine had a misfire and the engine would only accelerate to about 3k rpm very slowly.

Is there a fix, other than shelling out $1,500 for a brand new ecu? I read that sometimes you just reflash the ecu when this code comes up but that is just a universal answer that I found on obd-codes.com. I was able to pull up the map a few days ago and have it saved in my laptop, but sadly there aren't any xml definitions that I know of for the 4g69 and I don't know If I could flash the map back into the ecu to test that solution.

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. This is my mothers car and she needs it to drive to work.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think that reflashing the ECU will fix your problem. But if you still need to reflash it you can go to the dealer and they will do it for you. Someone in here had it done for $90 at the dealer. From what you said looks like you fried something else that gives power to the ECU. I am sorry but I can't help you more then that. Good luck.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:06 PM

Is this model/year lancer equiped with an Immobilizer from factory? It has the stock alarm system but I don't know if that system includes an immobilizer that should be paired with the new ecu. I hope not...
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check your private messages

Private message sent.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
there is no immobilizer/car alarm system stock in our cars
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me know how you make out with this problem. I think I fried my ecu on my 04. this is what has been keeping my car from being finished. thing is, im not 100% sure if its my ecu or not. So i'm a little hesitant to shell out the money for something that may or may not fix the problem. Good luck and let me know how you make out.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

There is a 20 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood for the ecu. Did you check that?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:48 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Raikiri
there is no immobilizer/car alarm system stock in our cars
Actually the car does come with a " theft-deterring engine immobilizer "

Here's a pic from the guide the dealer gave me when I bought my car , 10th line

Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 2004 model year did not have it. It was either optional or standard on the '05+.

-John- , if the ECU is not getting power, something is wrong upstream of the ECU. You should look at the wiring that supplies power to the ECU first. Plugging in a brand new ECU won't help if it still doesn't get power.

EDIT: Like ralliart610 said, check the 20A fuse under the hood. The ECU gets +12v through that, then through the MFI relay, and then through no less than seven different wires.

Last edited by Myszkewicz; Aug 23, 2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:24 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

yeah the 2004 does have it Myszkewicz, the book is actually for an 04+ as standard from the Es, Ls, Oz rally, ralliart, and evos.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Well, *MY* 2004 does not have it, standard or otherwise. Nor does my 2004 Factory Service Manual make any mention of the immobilizer.

Why would your dealer give you a 2004 book with a 2005 car?

EDIT: It does show the immobilizer circuit in the 2004 Eclipse/Eclipse Spyder part of the manual, but not in the Lancer part.

Last edited by Myszkewicz; Aug 23, 2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:10 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

lol at the time that was all that they had, it's just one of those info/stats/spec booklets dealers give out for free. That's really weird though, maybe it's just a US spec thing, did u get your ra from Canada as there have been questionable things about the canadian ra compared to the US spec before.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
now now, we Canadians are very proud of Celine Dion and Bryan Adams, as well as the Vancouver Canucks.

Lol, j/k...Mine does not have an immobilizer to my knowledge, and it is a Canadian model. It would be interesting to investigate further, but at the very least i think some good old wire fault finding is the best place to start.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
yeahh... mine did not have it cause my brother was able to start/drive my car with a key he copied at home depot
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
lol at the time that was all that they had, it's just one of those info/stats/spec booklets dealers give out for free. That's really weird though, maybe it's just a US spec thing, did u get your ra from Canada as there have been questionable things about the canadian ra compared to the US spec before.
No, mine is USDM. A Canadian RA would have heated side mirrors, which would have been nice to have when I lived in Wisconsin.

I wonder if it was made available on the later 2004s, as mine rolled off the assembly line in December 2003...

Quick Reply: Fried ecu... help?