Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

belt tensioner

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd do it just as a preventative maintenance thing. if you're doing the belt, you might as well do it all, just for an added piece of mind.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
there's not really a guaranteed amount of mileage you con put on a bearing before it goes, you know? so it's hard to say, but you are correct that it's most likely one of the pullies that rides the back (smooth side) of the belt...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
there's not really a guaranteed amount of mileage you con put on a bearing before it goes, you know? so it's hard to say, but you are correct that it's most likely one of the pullies that rides the back (smooth side) of the belt...
that being said how many smooth side pullies are there? i know the water pump, the tensioner, and idler pulley.

water pump was replaced at 100k during my whole engine rebuild. original idler and tensioner were kept at the time. is there one i'm forgetting?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a FYI, about a month after i replaced by serpentine belt tensioner it started squeaking every so often. The funny thing is if i have the car running and spray some "4 way" grease lub stuff around the tensioner bearing the squeak goes away. I called Gates (company i bought the new tensioner from and they said they couldn't help me). So I just deal with the squeak every so often. Must be a super cheap bearing!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
hmmm... good to know i guess cause i was actually about to buy the Gates tensioner. looks like i'll go for OEM instead
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, just the water pump, idler and tensioner...

i would go OEM for anything with a bearing in it...but that's just me...
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemike396
Installed the tension yesterday! It went super good. The hardest part was holding the tensioner back with one arm and un-doing the belt. "Crankswick" It ended up just being 2 bolts. The main center bold and a bottom right bolt that went through the oil filter housing. Everything is running good, and my squeaky bearing is gone. Thanks guys for all the help!!

I'm doing this today...after removing those two bolts, there's tension on the tensioner housing, is there a problem/concern when pulling the assembly off with this tension from the spring and any issues getting it back on?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends. Just removing it ?
No problem.
Regarding getting it back on, do you have a new one ?
If so then all is well. Dont pull the pin till you are DONE.

If you are reusing the old one, then you need a vise or C clamp to compress the tensioner, and a pin, ( a small allen key works well) to put in the hole to keep it in the compressed position.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Hope this answers your question.

Steps I followed:

1. Put a (1/2inch or what ever size) drive in the square box and released the pressure on the tensioner. While doing this i had someone stick a screwdriver threw the two holes that will line up as you release the tension.
2. Removed the two bolts
3. Took the tensioner off.
4. On the new tensioner I put the bottom in a vise and turned the top with the same wrench and drove a pin through that same hole like on the old one.
5. Screwed the new tensioner on.
6. Put the belt over the tensioner.
7. Pulled the pin out
8. Done!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We're talking serpentine belt tensioner here ? Disregard my post then.

Last edited by 2006_RA; Jun 27, 2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
We're talking serpentine belt tensioner here ? Disregard my post then.
Yes Sir!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that mikemike you bought it directly from gates? You must have not talked to them right cause I never had a problem with gates I have a gates timing belt and bearings which were nsk bearings.. Did you have any automotive background to back up your claim? Are you sure your not getting some on the belt did you mark the direction of the old belt its possible you changed the direction..

There's a bando tensioner on mine not sure when it was put on but haven't had any problems

Last edited by RacerX-Ralliart; Jun 27, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RacerX-Ralliart
Sorry to hear that mikemike you bought it directly from gates? You must have not talked to them right cause I never had a problem with gates I have a gates timing belt and bearings which were nsk bearings.. Did you have any automotive background to back up your claim? Are you sure your not getting some on the belt did you mark the direction of the old belt its possible you changed the direction..

There's a bando tensioner on mine not sure when it was put on but haven't had any problems
I must not have talked to the right person. I told them that my OEM tension bearing was squeaking and they told me to order a new one from them. Put it on and it squeaked still after some use. I know for sure it was the bearing, because if I spray some oil on the bearing while it is running, the squeak goes away. Its really hit and miss, depending on the temperature outside and such. So honestly I just bear with the little noise when it happens.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 Ralliart Tensioner Pulley Replacement

Okay, my worries were eliminated after < (30) minutes:

1. Removed right front tire

2. Removed splash guard

3. Removed Serp belt from UDP and Tensioner pulley ONLY

4. Remove center 14mm bolt, and 12mm bolt from lower right corner of tensioner housing.

5. Remove assembly from block

6. Remove 12mm bolt to seperate old pulley; replace with new pulley

7. Reinstall pulley housing/assembly and replace serp belt around tensioner and UDP pulleys. Inspect serp belt around all pulleys.

8. Reassemble vehicle, start engine and inspect

Last edited by truthdweller; Jun 27, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mikemike396
I must not have talked to the right person. I told them that my OEM tension bearing was squeaking and they told me to order a new one from them. Put it on and it squeaked still after some use. I know for sure it was the bearing, because if I spray some oil on the bearing while it is running, the squeak goes away. Its really hit and miss, depending on the temperature outside and such. So honestly I just bear with the little noise when it happens.
maybe it's the belt rubbing on a seized pulley, and when you spray the belt with oil, which you SHOULD NOT do anyway, it's just lubricating the belt...i had a squeak/chirp and it was the water pump seizing, so the belt was dragging on the pulley...

Quick Reply: belt tensioner