Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

belt tensioner

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry if I'm redundant but this is an easy "rule out," and cool technique:

Remove the serpentine belt from all pulleys. Start your engine and listen for the problem. If the sound is still there then it's NOT coming from the pulleys or serp belt OTHER THAN THE UDP PULLEY (the only one that's spinning), the associated mechanisms behind it, or other source. If the sound is gone, then it's probably one of the other pulleys, related accesories, or other source.

Use a stethescope or any long, solid handle, ie; breakbar, as a modified stethescope, place the "stethescope" against the accesory or engine block nearest the "sound," put your ear against the other end, and try to isolate the symptom and it's source. Take your ear away from the "stethescope" frequently and listen to the symptomatic sound again, and again, so you can differentiate what, and where, you're hearing the, noise, over the engine. Remember, the sound will travel through the engine block and attached accesories (referred sound), but auscultation over the actual source of the "sound" will reproduce the LOUDEST! I was able to isolate my tensioner pulley this way.

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
my bet is any one of the pulleys that rides the smooth side of the belt...so idler, tensioner, water pump...
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
maybe it's the belt rubbing on a seized pulley, and when you spray the belt with oil, which you SHOULD NOT do anyway, it's just lubricating the belt...i had a squeak/chirp and it was the water pump seizing, so the belt was dragging on the pulley...
I am almost 100% sure its the tensioner. Here are the reasons why:

One I bought some of that belt oil.. the special stuff that is spose to lubricate belts and it didn't change anything when i sprayed it on. When i spray oil on the pulley on the tensioner i didn't get any oil on the belt. I put the spray can right into the inside of the wheel and sprayed the bearing. Squeak went away, and stays away for awhile, then it will come back every so often. The bearing is a piece of crap. I am thinking about taking my oem one and either getting a new bearing or trying to pack it with grease. Not a fan of the gates tensioner.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemike396
I am almost 100% sure its the tensioner. Here are the reasons why:

One I bought some of that belt oil.. the special stuff that is spose to lubricate belts and it didn't change anything when i sprayed it on. When i spray oil on the pulley on the tensioner i didn't get any oil on the belt. I put the spray can right into the inside of the wheel and sprayed the bearing. Squeak went away, and stays away for awhile, then it will come back every so often. The bearing is a piece of crap. I am thinking about taking my oem one and either getting a new bearing or trying to pack it with grease. Not a fan of the gates tensioner.
just buy OEM and be done with it...bearings and pulleys i buy OEM for that reason...
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
just buy OEM and be done with it...bearings and pulleys i buy OEM for that reason...
Agreed!