Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Ticking Coming from the Timing Side of the Engine

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking Coming from the Timing Side of the Engine

So, I had a mechanic friend look at my car and he said it had to do with one of the Pulley bearings being loose or broken? I forgot what he said but yeah, it sounds like it's coming from the upper top pulley; probably the crank shaft pulley? I'm not really sure. But how hard is this to replace? And is there a part # for this? Do I have to replace the whole pulley or is the bearing a separate part? I'll take a video for you guys if that would help more. Is there a how to on how to fix this?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

see this: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...-low-rpms.html

how many miles/km do you have? almost time for a t-belt?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
which pulley? and usually bearings tend to grind, or whine, they normally don't tick...i would inspect the timing belt for peace of mind...
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Harmonic balancer. Start your car and look very closely at your crankshaft or balancer pully, see if it has a slight "wabble" chances are it's just your lifters ticking OR you have old/heavy oil that isn't reaching the top of the the valves causing a ticking sound. Change your oil with M1 and see if it goes away, I'd say that'll probably fix it
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:52 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I can bet you the title to my car that it's not the lifters

When was the last time you did a valve adjustment?

And can you make a video?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

I have about 99k miles on it. I still got 21k miles to go before a timing belt change and I just did an oil change about 1k miles ago with Mobile 1 synthetic. It's not really like a ticking noise? But it's similar. More like a tapping noise. And alright, I'll try to get the video with my phone but idk how good the sound quality would be.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvzaTi-RkYU
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

just my two sense theirs a few ticking sound in our cars,
!) during start up the throttle position sensor kinda goes at it for a bit ticking sounds weird but normal
2) valve lash is also an ongoing thing that sound weird but again is normal
3) if it sounds like its coming form the timing belt area then i agree with cranswick probably a belt issue or maybe a tension problem, but i disagree i work with pulleys doing repair parts analysis and i hear all sorts of odd sounds above 2000rpm from ticks to whine to groans to you name it so that could be a possibility but if its a good company bearing they are usually the last thing to fail unless the pulley was installed wrong.

just watched the video so u can ignor the first part of my comment im not really sure to be honest sounds like maybe some debris stuck under the timing cover hitting a belt or vibrating?? does it change with rpm speeds? i would check that out
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

This is what my RA sounded like after a while. Definitely sounds like oil isn't reaching the top of the motor causing the valves to click like they are. I don't know too too much about internals on a RA but majority of cars and all bikes for that matter will make this sound when the oil is either too heavy or dirty. Since you say the oil is new...we see our bikes make crazy valve sounds only when using AMSoil, can't tell you why but the oil doesn't reach the very top. I don't know if M1 has this problem in the RA engine or not. Personally I'd drain the oil and try a different brand. Put Brad Penn in, they have the highest zink content on the market(which is what loobs your engine) if that doesn't help I'd take it to your local mechanic that you trust. I've seen certain oils work incredible on certain motors but then work horrible in others. I use M1 in my Evo but not in any other machines I have

I HIGHLY doubt this is your balancer pully. When you start the car, your belts would slip and when looking at the pullys, you would see them wabble from side to side. Again, TRY BRAD PEN OIL

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; Jan 15, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:18 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It kinda sounds like some bearings are shot within one of the pullies but I'm not 100% based on the video. Have you tried using a stethoscope to get a better guess at where it's coming from exactly? If not make one out of some copper tubing and a hose, and start poking it around to find out where the sound is coming from. Then open up the timing cover to see of you can spot some unusual wear, debris, etc.

Last edited by lanzerralliart; Jan 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

A quick tip if you don't have a stethoscope: take a really long screw driver - or any screwdriver, just longer for safety - and place it on the valve cover. Proceed to place your ear on the screw driver handle. You'll "hear" the vibrations.

Can also do this with the timing belt cover, the alternator, etc (solid part please lol)

I'm in agreement with oil not making it up to where it should be, or some king of debris or unusual wear in the timing.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Alright, thanks for all the help guys, I'll first thing I'll do is get pull off the timing belt cover and check if there's anything underneath, after that get a stethoscope and check. But yeah, like lanzerralliart said about one of the pulley bearings being shot, one of my mechanic friends said the same thing. I'll check this out sometime later on today when I get home and update you guys on the sound, and about the oil, I just topped it off a little more with half a bottle of mobile 1, and the car has been using mobile 1 since the first day the car has rolled out the parking lot of the dealer ship (that's what the previous owner has told me.)
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by keithislegit
Alright, thanks for all the help guys, I'll first thing I'll do is get pull off the timing belt cover and check if there's anything underneath, after that get a stethoscope and check. But yeah, like lanzerralliart said about one of the pulley bearings being shot, one of my mechanic friends said the same thing. I'll check this out sometime later on today when I get home and update you guys on the sound, and about the oil, I just topped it off a little more with half a bottle of mobile 1, and the car has been using mobile 1 since the first day the car has rolled out the parking lot of the dealer ship (that's what the previous owner has told me.)
hey could be a pulley bearing they make a ruckus when the bearing does go i was thinking more of the alternator decouple system (in which case usually the bearing isnt the problem).. as for oil i have used mobile1 for 3 years now not sure what was in it before but my car don't make any noise like that, could even be some build up i none of the oil passage ways not allowing enough pressure to the head.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Definitely has quite a bit noise going on there. First things first, to rule out the pulleys, remove the serp belt and start up. You can run it for 20 - 30 seconds without any ill effect. That should rule out the pulleys or make them the culprit. It does sound pretty nasty tho. It's not likely that is a bent crank pulley\balancer.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:00 AM

hey, i know this may sound weird but dose your AC work?

if not its most likely that its something in side the AC compresser because i fingered out after a few weeks and my AC not working that it was the compresser. the clutch inside or something.

when i mean the AC doesn't work i mean ,have the AC on, set to cold(blue) and full blast and it would come out cool for a few secs then it would just be normal temp or just blowing air. the car must be on and running for a good 10 15 min, car must be warm. my car has a ticking sound much like that ever since i noticed the AC not working. up in Canada we don't use it much and i don't use it anyways, wast of gas and u don't enjoy summer!

id actually like to know if there's a belt for are car for a no AC and a UDP? anybody?

Quick Reply: Ticking Coming from the Timing Side of the Engine