Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Whining/ spinning noise when clutch is engaged! Please help :(

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:53 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by QuanVN
Same thing happened in my car, its the input shaft bearing. First dealership I went to told me it was the clutch, but I didn't believe them. Took it for a second opinion at another dealership and they replaced the input shaft bearing under warranty. There's a TSB on our cars for the input shaft bearing, its a common issue,
Good info, do you have TSB code or link by any chance?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Good info, do you have TSB code or link by any chance?
I thought I had it, but I can't find it. But I'm pretty sure it's the input shaft bearing, I had a horrible experience with one of the dealerships....see link
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/showthread.php?t=438523

From my experience, input shaft bearing = whining/grinding noise when clutch engaged(foot off pedal). No whining/grinding noise when clutch disengaged(foot pressed down on pedal)

Throw out/release bearing = whining/grinding noise all the time and doesn't matter if the clutch is engaged or disengaged.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:43 AM

Unfortunately, I am having this same problem but was told that it is the throw out bearing. I thought it was the input shaft bearing bc it only makes the noise when the clutch is engaged, but I have one mechanic telling me that the throw out bearing will only make noise when engaged so that has to be it. I really wanna get to the bottom of it but am not knowledgable enough to figure it out without taking it apart. Any input would b much appreciated.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by RAwinterat
Unfortunately, I am having this same problem but was told that it is the throw out bearing. I thought it was the input shaft bearing bc it only makes the noise when the clutch is engaged, but I have one mechanic telling me that the throw out bearing will only make noise when engaged so that has to be it. I really wanna get to the bottom of it but am not knowledgable enough to figure it out without taking it apart. Any input would b much appreciated.
a bad throw out bearing normally makes noise when it is engaged yes, however, the throw out bearing is only engaged, when the clutch is disengaged
Old Nov 11, 2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
a bad throw out bearing normally makes noise when it is engaged yes, however, the throw out bearing is only engaged, when the clutch is disengaged
Exactly! My guess is the input shaft bearing has gone bad. It might have some life left but if I keep pushing it, my trans might take a turn for the worse. Have you ever replaced this yourself? And if so, how much of a pain would it be for me to do it myself? While I'm down there, might as well do the clutch also
Old Nov 11, 2013, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a TOB that squeaked for years but I never had a problem.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by RAwinterat
Exactly! My guess is the input shaft bearing has gone bad. It might have some life left but if I keep pushing it, my trans might take a turn for the worse. Have you ever replaced this yourself? And if so, how much of a pain would it be for me to do it myself? While I'm down there, might as well do the clutch also
Now, does the noise go away when you press the clutch? change pitch? I had a "noise" from the drivetrain, because it depended on wheel speed not engine speed, and if I remember correctly,it went away if I pressed the clutch, but it was because it only happened during acceleration...I don't remember, it's written already somewhere on the forum, anyway I replaced the bearing on the RH side axle, and the inner (engine side) output shaft bearing at the same time. and the noise went away, I found that between the two, the one inside the transmission had the most damage. what happened is, the first time I rebuilt the trans, I ordered two of the same bearing by mistake, and forgot that one...after pulling gears and bearings, replacing synchros, installing LSD, and replacing all but one bearing, it was not long after the noise occurred, this is after a brand new clutch and OEM TOB was installed at the same time. Turns out that bearing I didn't replace, the outer race was really pitted quite badly. I didn't really notice when it was apart, but I did have a few bad oils, before finding one that really worked well, and wasn't made by Mitsubishi. Or maybe spinning transmission bearings shortly after warranty expires is normal, I mean they lasted the advertised period of time

I've done it myself twice, maybe 3 times. the first time will be a pain in the ***, you'll cut your time in half the second time, because after the first time you went and bought some tools . give yourself at least 2 days for the work (maybe more depending on your skill level, and the equipment you have. It's really hard to do alone, but possible). A buddy is nice. once you get the transmission out, see if you can have the flywheel machined same day, so you can install the clutch and bag the flywheel while you continue work on the transmission ...you'll need quite a few tools to accomplish this...I was able to borrow some...I still don't have my own hydraulic press...you could probably pull it off with a pulley/gear/bearing puller, and install with a punch and hammer, using the old races as dies.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Nov 11, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same Issue recently and turned out to be the main bearing along with the release bearing. For me was cheaper to replace the trans (for the second time.)
Old Nov 19, 2013, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OttRalliart05
I had the same Issue recently and turned out to be the main bearing along with the release bearing. For me was cheaper to replace the trans (for the second time.)
where do you guys find transmissions for our cars lol..it seems like im the only one who cant get my hands on a replacement trans....just thought id throw that out there..