Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Whining/ spinning noise when clutch is engaged! Please help :(

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining/ spinning noise when clutch is engaged! Please help :(

Hi everyone. Thank you for taking the time to read my issue. Let me give you the details:

2005 Mitsu Lancer Ralliart

Bought used from a dealership @ 56k miles. Now has 107k.

Last weekend the spark plugs were replaced (Autozone brand-- iridium) and the timing belt and water pump. Now I have noticed a whining/ grinding/ spinning noise when the clutch is engaged or when it's in 1st gear and it's goes over 25k rpm.

Brought it to a dealership. They said my clutch went out. They replaced it but the noise is still there!! I don't even think the clutch was the issue in the first place

Any info about what this noise could be would be helpful.

Also, they said my clutch was out because it was stiff, but I don't ever remember my clutch being this soft (the new one is soft.)

Thanks again for any suggestions/ help!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm going to go and say I think it's the TOB
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Take it back to the dealership and have them look at it again.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
the stock clutch is a bit soft, it may have just needed some lube if it was stiff, unless the previous owner put an aftermarket clutch in, and the dealer downgraded you to OEM...lol

the noise is likely the release bearing, or "throw out" bearing as Raikiri mentioned, if it only occurs when clutch is disengaged...did they show you the old clutch to prove it was worn beyond serviceability or anything? or did they just ask to see your wallet?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:32 AM

Nope. He just said I needed it replaced ASAP and that I shouldn't be driving on it till it gets replaced. I'll mention the term bearing to him when I bring it back. I'm not mad that the clutch got replaced-- it would have needed to be replaced eventually. Just pissed that the sound is still there. If they replaced the clutch, I'm sure they would have noticed a bearing problem? Or a transmission problem while they were looking at my car, wouldn't they?

I'm not a car expert so I trusted their judgement. I just needed her fixed ASAP. Who am I to question a mechanics judgment, ya know? That's what was going through my mind...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:48 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah keywords " throw out bearing " , I have the same issue and otter had it for sometime as well. And if this might **** you off a bit. Even after replacing the part the noise might come back a few months later, that's what happened to otter. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

if they replaced the clutch without replacing the release bearing, then they're idiots...i'm sure mitsubishi is just as aware as we all are about the problems with the bearing...that being said if they didn't replace the bearing, then you'll need to have the transmission pulled off again to replace it long before your new clutch wears out...the other thing that concerns me, is that they said you needed a clutch right away, and you shouldn't be driving...

THAT my friend, is horse shyt...first off all, if the clutch disc was worn down to the rivets, which it probably wasn't, they wouldn't be able to tell unless they removed the transmission and pressure plate. second of all, if your clutch is worn or slipping, you probably would have noticed something was wrong other than a "strange noise" i.e. RPM increases, vehicle speed does not...pretty simple...

Also, i re-read your post, when you say clutch engaged you mean foot off the pedal, car in motion right? in that case any whine is more likely NOT the throw out bearing (release bearing, i know i interchange the terms) and is more likely an input or output shaft bearing, which requires a transmission rebuild...i mean you can replace a single bearing, but the amount of work involved in getting to it, and the fact that your transmission will be in pieces when you get there, you may as well rebuild...this is assuming the whining sound is what i think it is, and mine was doing it as well before i rebuilt my transmission...it was more noticeable when coasting in gear at low rpm...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jan 19, 2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:09 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I doubt mitsu really cares about us at this point in the game

But I think I found a the missing link as to why the TOB's are going out and sqealing. I think it's the rubber boot not doing it's job and water is dripping/splashing on the clutchfork that is exposed and the water runs right down to the tob that is internal and sits. And over time water will do it's duty drying out and rusting the bearings. Make sense?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
if they replaced the clutch without replacing the release bearing, then they're idiots...
couldn't agree more with that statement. no excuse for being lazy. hell, you got the tranny out might as well inspect the whole darn thing. When I replaced my trans I made it a point to inspect everything related to the trans.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:01 AM

The noise happens when I press ONTO the clutch. Or if I'm driving at like 30krpm and above and then let my foot off the gas you'll hear the same noise. They said they took my car for a 5 mile test drive and realized that the clutch was completely out. I never had any issues shifting into any gears besides reverse in my old clutch. And it caught fears perfectly fine in my opinion. I looked at the paperwork and it looks like all the parts they replaced only said clutch. Nothing about bearing
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by omarymee
The noise happens when I press ONTO the clutch. Or if I'm driving at like 30krpm and above and then let my foot off the gas you'll hear the same noise. They said they took my car for a 5 mile test drive and realized that the clutch was completely out. I never had any issues shifting into any gears besides reverse in my old clutch. And it caught fears perfectly fine in my opinion. I looked at the paperwork and it looks like all the parts they replaced only said clutch. Nothing about bearing
i would like to know how the clutch was "completely out" yet you, and they were still able to drive it...all the clutch does is couple the crankshaft to the input shaft of the transmission...also when you press the clutch pedal, you are disengaging the clutch, allowing the motor and transmission to move independant of eachother...so if it makes the exact same sound when you press the clutch pedal, as when you don't then it's hard to say which of the two it could be, one way to narrow it down would be to press the clutch pedal while stationary, and see if you can hear it...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:03 PM

I don't hear the sound when the car is stationary and I'm pressing down on the clutch. If the car is stationary and I'm pressing on the gas pedal and the rpms are high, youll hear it. Also, when it's in motion and getting ready to switch gears. Its weird that u can also hear the noise when I let off the gas pedal when I'm in high rpms. I'm gonna bring it to the dealership tomorrow and keep you guys updated. Thanks again for all the hell and info!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

when the car is stationary are you in neutral with the foot off the clutch pedal? The part about the clutch is rather misleading since it does it if you're not pressing the clutch pedal. could be input shaft bearing, or a number of pulleys, pumps, or alternator...
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:40 AM

Same thing happened in my car, its the input shaft bearing. First dealership I went to told me it was the clutch, but I didn't believe them. Took it for a second opinion at another dealership and they replaced the input shaft bearing under warranty. There's a TSB on our cars for the input shaft bearing, its a common issue,
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

another Ontario resident, i don't believe we've met...should be more active here, we should be having another meet sometime this summer, hoping to have a better turn out than last year...i BBQ'd way too many burgers last year!

And i'm with you on the input shaft bearing, that was my initial thought, and my whine went away after i rebuilt my transmission, but i replaced the clutch and release bearing at the same time, but if it whines when the clutch is still engaged then it's not likely the the clutch release bearing...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jan 23, 2012 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Whining/ spinning noise when clutch is engaged! Please help :(