Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

04 Ralliart throttle body problem

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Ralliart throttle body problem

Hi guys,

I've got electronic problem about the throttle position sensor (TPS) and mechanical problem about the throttle body.

The engine light was on for several times for the TPS, and my car is just in the limp mode. However, the car will be alright after I stop the car for a few minutes and the light will be off later.

In addition, when I took of the hose of air intake to the throttle body, I saw the butterfly plate cannot completely back to the return position. There are always a slight gap between the groove mark and the butterfly plate. It's about 3-5 millimeter and I can push the plate. I think the throttle body was kind of worn as well.

I tried to replace them, but the TPS are not sold separately and the entire assembly is almost $1k at the Mitsubishi dealer. It's too much for me. My questions are in the following:

1. Is there any way I can get a cheaper assembly, other than the dealer?
2. Do you think the electronic problem comes from the mechanical problem of throttle body?
3. What's the possible reason for the mechanical problem of throttle body? Do you think it's possible to take the assembly off, take it apart and adjust it a little to fix the problem by myself?

Thank you very much!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:01 AM

Problems for TPS and throttle body

Hi guys,

I have a 04 Ralliart. I've got electronic problem about the throttle position sensor (TPS) and mechanical problem about the throttle body.

The engine light was on for several times for the TPS, and my car is just in the limp mode. However, the car will be alright after I stop the car for a few minutes and the light will be off later.

In addition, when I took of the hose of air intake to the throttle body, I saw the butterfly plate cannot completely back to the return position. There are always a slight gap between the groove mark and the butterfly plate. It's about 3-5 millimeter and I can push the plate. I think the throttle body was kind of worn as well.

I tried to replace them, but the TPS are not sold separately and the entire assembly is almost $1k at the Mitsubishi dealer. It's too much for me. My questions are in the following:

2. Do you think the electronic problem comes from the mechanical problem of throttle body?
3. What's the possible reason for the mechanical problem of throttle body? Do you think it's possible to take the assembly off, take it apart and adjust it a little to fix the problem by myself?

Thank you very much!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nshen43
Hi guys,

I have a 04 Ralliart. I've got electronic problem about the throttle position sensor (TPS) and mechanical problem about the throttle body.

Yes go to the salvage yard man way cheaper
Depends on what the actual code is but considering the two are in direct contact id say probably
I would try this first before anything, Is your return spring for the throttle plate worn out or maybe somehow is not positioned correctly?

Thank you very much!
Try these
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by 03lances
Try these
Thank you very much! It will be very helpful.

The code was P2135
TPS range/performance problem
Probable causes:
1. Open or short circuit condition
2. Pool electrical connection
3. Failed TPS
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
your throttle body is fine, it's not supposed to close all the way, that's how it idles.

what is the code you were getting? Are you sure it's the TPS?

and you can search car-part.com for wreckers in your area that have the part...some even ship parts, so they don't even need to be local...i got a power steering pump for $75, mitsubishi sells them for over $600.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
i never had this problem with my lancer yet. but i did have a tps problem with my mustang. what you need to do is check the voltage on the tps at idle and make sure it is within voltage range. i'm not sure what the voltage is supposed to be for your car though. do a search and see what you can find. but you can also adjust them to get them to fall in range and if they don't, then it is shot and needs replaced. but if you're having rough idle or really high idle and the car is jerking and running like crap. i would bet that that's your problem. i doubt your throttle body is causing the problem.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Post # 3000 here... lol had to do it.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
i never had this problem with my lancer yet. but i did have a tps problem with my mustang. what you need to do is check the voltage on the tps at idle and make sure it is within voltage range. i'm not sure what the voltage is supposed to be for your car though. do a search and see what you can find. but you can also adjust them to get them to fall in range and if they don't, then it is shot and needs replaced. but if you're having rough idle or really high idle and the car is jerking and running like crap. i would bet that that's your problem. i doubt your throttle body is causing the problem.
Thank you for your experience. Generally, the idling is nice. The RPM is usually around 700. However, at some times, the rpm almost hits 1k and the engine is louder for a little, but these don't last long, just about few second.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
your throttle body is fine, it's not supposed to close all the way, that's how it idles.

what is the code you were getting? Are you sure it's the TPS?

and you can search car-part.com for wreckers in your area that have the part...some even ship parts, so they don't even need to be local...i got a power steering pump for $75, mitsubishi sells them for over $600.
Thank you very much!

The code was P2135
Probable causes:
3. Failed TPS
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nshen43
Thank you very much!

The code was P2135
Probable causes:
3. Failed TPS
clean the contacts in the connectors...meter the wires, check for continuity, and then for a short to ground...if the TPS has failed, I believe you will need to replace the throttle body. I'm pretty sure the TPS is not a separate part like it is on the 4G94...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Ralliart is drive by wire btw guys....
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Well magically after cleaning the throttle body, my car is out of limp mode. I pulled the same code too. I cleaned the contacts and such and now its fine. I saved 200 bucks. Lol.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
Ralliart is drive by wire btw guys....
I did not know this that might change things a little.