Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

DIY Water/Meth Injection

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I came back from the 1/4 mile

Best time I got using injection was again 16.0, but! Temperature was about 90ºF today and humidity was very high.
Best time I got w/o injection 16.18

I used ethylic alcohol at 70%... 70alcohol 30 water

Best time I got long time ago was also 16 flat but the temperature that day rounded the 60ºF, also I had only 1/4 of gas tank and today I got more than 1/2 haha shoot.!

Also my reverse gear won't engage anymore .. it's strange since I didn't used reverse at all hahaha.

I ran about 10 -12 times, 7 of them using injection... During this tests no CEL were thrown at all, no strange noises, no engine failure.

A friend of mine will probably do the same using a 11' Mustang V6, but he has the chance to change ignition

I will get my Xmsn repaired, reinforced, maybe look at the clutch and see if I need to replace it and do tests again. For today I got the conclusion that in hot weather it made me get better times.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank you for the report, awesome effort!

Soon our racetracks will be open for the summer and we can play too.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
I'm shooting for 13's this year with forced induction, but i'll be happy with a low 14, if i can get a 14.3 that's a full second faster, but i know the first second is the easiest...i'm considering water and or meth injection, as i noticed when i was non-turbo, Even up here, in the dead of summer, the heat really degraded performance, and i think the charge would be even worse, especially when you're staging and there's little airflow through the intercooler...i'm going to see how it goes...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 6, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
I'm shooting for 13's this year with forced induction, but i'll be happy with a low 14, if i can get a 14.3 that's a full second faster, but i know the first second is the easiest...i'm considering water and or meth injection, as i noticed when i was non-turbo, Even up here, in the dead of summer, the heat really degraded performance, and i think the charge would be even worse, especially when you're staging and there's little airflow through the intercooler...i'm going to see how it goes...
I know that you have already made your research but i recommend you take a look at where to put your meth, there's a lot of options before turbo, after turbo before intercooler, immediately after intercooler, immediately before intake manifold and also inside the manifold. there's a lot of different setups and you might want to read about them.. there's noticeable change in performance after intercooler and inside intake manifold. People may think adding water/meth will increase horsepower and octane rating, but it also depends on where you put it and how much you inject.

From the page of import tuners:
Where To Locate Your Water/Methanol Injection Nozzle

Crans you own other MAF right??? I will recommend you to get the IAT of the 2nd MAF sensor and put it on the boosted zone after the bov.. if IAT has correct readings you can take advantage of it maybe?? if feeling ghetto like me you may do some tests.

1. MAF Sensor
Make sure you do not place the nozzle in front of the mass air-flow sensor (MAF). Injecting water or methanol through the MAF sensor will likely cause it to short out.
2. Pre-Turbo
Locating the nozzle in front of the turbo chemically alters the turbo compressor map, causing a change in the engine's air/fuel ratios. Injecting water/methanol directly into the turbo can also damage the compressor blade.
3. Pre-Intercooler
Installing the nozzle before the intercooler might seem like the perfect location to aid in pre-cooling, but it does have its drawbacks. If the nozzle doesn't emit a fine enough mist, both water and methanol can condense and collect in the bottom of an intercooler core. In colder climates, the overcooling effect can cause the water to freeze inside an intercooler, causing a blockage of airflow. On the flipside, hot air from the turbo can prematurely vaporize the water by the time it reaches the intake, rendering the system ineffective.
4. Post-Intercooler
Most methanol installers prefer placing the nozzle before the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor typically found on newer vehicles. IAT sensors monitor the temperature of air going into an engine, and can automatically advance ignition timing and lean out air/fuel ratios due to cooler intake temps of water/methanol injection. This cause-and-effect scenario can create more horsepower, but may also damage an engine. Another problem we found was placing the nozzle before the blow-off valve, which causes an unwanted release of meth/water vapors at throttle let-off.
5. Charge Pipe
Placing the injection nozzle as far from the cylinders as possible on the intake charge pipe allows for the water/methanol mixture to be better absorbed into the intake air charge. This allows for greater distribution into to each cylinder, creating the coolest possible air charge.
6. Throttle Body
The most common location to place a nozzle is three to six inches from the throttle body. The nozzle should spray directly into the throttle body and should never be placed right before a tight-radius bend. Positioning a nozzle directly in front of an angled pipe can cause the liquid to adhere to the walls of the pipe before dribbling ineffectively into the intake manifold.
7. Intake manifold
Installing separate nozzles into each intake runner will deliver equal amounts of water/methanol to each cylinder. The only downside to installing the nozzles into the manifold is the additional labor and parts costs.

Last edited by Tamez10; Apr 7, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just an article, also written in easy-to-understand language, to complement Tamez' work. The "Conclusion" paragraph sums it up nicely:
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_110213/ar...popularArticle
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by RalliartN
Just an article, also written in easy-to-understand language, to complement Tamez' work. The "Conclusion" paragraph sums it up nicely:
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_110213/ar...popularArticle

Sir Harry Ricardo Book on engine's is GREAT! you should get it!! totally recommended... I coulnd't buy a copy myself a friend of mine borrowed me his not legal PDF. haha