Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

DIY Water/Meth Injection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Water/Meth Injection

I did my own Water/Meth Injection system for about 20 bucks.. works NA only..

Do this at your own risk, you may damage MAF, throttle body or engine. I am not responsible for damage done to your vehicle.

If you have questions about this please ask before using it.

Get a Sprayer cap from a hair styling or so (will need more caps to test each one for you to find the perfect)
Get a Sprayer bottle (you need the long hard plastic tube inside the bottle to fit the sprayer cap)
Plastic Tubing same diameter as the wiper water sprayers (hood) in our cars about 10 ft will do the job
Epoxic clay
PVC tube (matching your intake diameter) (can be other material but PVC works fine)

If you want you can also:
For a great use you will need to do the MIVEC light here
Connect the 12V of the light to a on/off switch (so you can activate/deactivate when not in use) and the on off switch to the positive of the wiper pump. (NEEDS SPARE WIPER CONTAINER + PUMP)

1. You need to try your sprayer cap.. use the sprayer bottle tube, insert the tube in the cap them, and use the plastic tubing to connect the bottle tube and the other side to the wiper fluid tube... search the black tube with "L" shape connector in the passenger side clamped to the hood and connect it here alone. (no wiper sprayers)
I used another wiper fluid container with another pump to test my sprayer capability of flow rate.. mine got about 110cc/min and a great mist. I recommend you get one wiper assembly apart...
To measure you get exactly 1 liter of water and turn on the pump while looking at a clock.. you should get around 8.5 to 9 minutes for the pump to finish the whole liter so you can be sure 110 to 120cc are achieved.

2. Plan to get a space between throttle body and Maf, you will put here the injector. Make measurements

3. Get a piece of PVC pipe and draw an envelope to put the spray assembly.. I recommend that the sprayer cap is not able to enter the pipe, or a bad assembly will cause air suction to take the cap and possibly enter your engine and damage it.

4. Use a dremel tool, and make the hole. be sure the sprayer fits correctly.

5. Secure the Sprayer cap with the sprayer bottle tube assembly with superglue, add some silicon around to make a base. Insert the sprayer bottle tube in the alcohol permissible plastic tube, and secure it with some straps around them.

6. After letting the silicon dry at least 24 hours, install the cap in the PVC tube and add Epoxic clay as needed. Be sure to cover all the cap and surroundings, let it sit about 10 hours to harden.

7. Install PVC in intake after MAF (I did mine before MAF, no CEL but maf becomes saturated and car stops accelerating suddenly 1 second at 4th and 5th gear pulls WOT) I did some tests and got great IAT results, getting 40°C to get 19°C of IAT.

8. If you used the original wiper assembly, then do a run test, pressing the wiper fluid on your steering wheel, pulling towards you (you will laugh when you see the wipers move and no liquid getting out)
If you used the MIVEC light, push the button ON and do some tests..

9. Start using only water and start adding methanol or alcohol. I tested with 10% pharmacy ethylic alcohol, here are some graphs.. my car won about 3 or 4 WHP using dynolicious... I will do 1/4 mile next week to see if there are changes.

10. Experiment and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Water/Meth Injection-img_0269-1-.jpg   DIY Water/Meth Injection-img_0270-1-.jpg   DIY Water/Meth Injection-img_0272-1-.jpg   DIY Water/Meth Injection-img_0271-1-.jpg   DIY Water/Meth Injection-comparison.jpg  

Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:51 AM

Thats great but isnt that kinda redneck? If its only +3-4 hp and that you need to go to a dragway to see the difference, its not really worth wrecking your engine..... Looking to hear back from your result at the 1/4 mile.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen I hope nobody else tries this. You cannot just spray water or alcohol in your natural aspirated car and expect it to make horsepower.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Anarchy99
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen I hope nobody else tries this. You cannot just spray water or alcohol in your natural aspirated car and expect it to make horsepower.
Are you sure about that?.. Please proove me wrong.. and I don't want explanations like.."because everybody says so.."

I mean.. I am a Navistar Truck designer, a mechatronic and Automotive Engineer.. I got experience on gasoline and diesel engines, on garrett turbos, CAC pipes, double intercoolers, aftertreatment devices, and several types of fuels..

you cannot only say it doesn't work until you try it... Just because it doesn't say AEM now it isn't gonna work??

The gain on NA is not the same as on a Turbo and no, it is not because AEM says it.. its because the energy needed to change alcohol from liquid to gas removes great quantity of heat-- Adding water helps a little on heat removing also, cleaning carbon deposits and avoiding risk of fire.

I have turboed MYSELF at least 4 cars and installed water/meth on at least 5... and turboed I mean, I installed the piping, I installed the turbo, in 2 cases WE made the manifold... I know what I am doing.

There's a risk on destroying my engine.. but hey.. ITS MY ENGINE not yours.. Is like saying to the first ever evo owner to leave boost alone and don't getting more psi because it's gonna blow his engine..

I have all parameters being controlled on a scanner and wideband..

I run everyday on the highway to my job, running this setup and doing tests.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
don't mind him. the Evo owners come in here every so often and shoot down any interesting ideas cause they're on their high horses about having the godly car
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
We know, Anarchy, "it'll never be an Evo". Us RA guys get that all the time. Byeee.

Tamez: cool project. Keep us posted.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by father04co
Thats great but isnt that kinda redneck? If its only +3-4 hp and that you need to go to a dragway to see the difference, its not really worth wrecking your engine..... Looking to hear back from your result at the 1/4 mile.
3-4 hp for NA for 20 bucks, that;s the most hp per dollar of any mod on the aftermarket...and if you do it right, it's not really that bad for the motor...depending on the setup, amount of spray, and meth content. not changing your oil often enough is worse for your motor, and tons of people do that every day...

you are wrong, everyone knows cooler air is more dense, more oxygen per volume...duh...if the IAT is cooler, this means you can advance timing, and lean out the AFR a little more than you could without it...
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
you are wrong, everyone knows cooler air is more dense, more oxygen per volume...duh...if the IAT is cooler, this means you can advance timing, and lean out the AFR a little more than you could without it...
Holy...Take it easy on the guy. You'll give him a complex and he'll start thinking that he DOESNT know everything like he does now...
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

If you think you can atomize methanol with a window washer pump and a superglued hair spray nozzle, good luck. Burning the fuel slower with higher octane only makes a NA car slower.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

If you think you can atomize methanol with a window washer pump and a superglued hair spray nozzle, good luck. Burning the fuel slower with higher octane only makes a NA car slower.
who said anything about octane?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

who said anything about octane?
Water/meth injection is used in turbocharged cars to increase the octane rating of your fuel, making it safe to run a higher boost without any other mods. It's mainly used to prevent knock. Methanol has around 100 octane rating.

With tuning, this upgrade could yield some serious gains. A reflash would greatly benefit from this if less ghetto rigged. I'd be curious if it would be possible to have the ECU run it, or maybe a rpm switch with a low fluid level indicator? Such tanks could be found on cars with the sensors already attached. (IE, most cavaliers past the 2000 year mark).

Last edited by xmaster19; Mar 31, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

just because the meth has that octane rating, doen't make your fuel have the same rating...the total compressability of the air/fuel/meth mixture is increased, but not to the octane rating of the meth...even if you're spraying 100% meth...we're talking like 5-10% meth here...the goal here is lower IAT, not increasing octane...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Mar 31, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

just because the meth has that octane rating, doen't make your fuel have the same rating...the total compressability of the air/fuel/meth mixture is increased, but not to the octane rating of the meth...even if you're spraying 100% meth...we're talking like 5-10% meth here...the goal here is lower IAT, not increasing octane...
Sorry but you're wrong.

I know, Wikipedia is crap, but this article still has a good way of describing the effects of water/meth injection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engines)

A little read couldn't hurt, as your understanding of it's uses seems limited at best.

TL, DR :

Effects of water/meth injection at WOT :

1- Reduce intake air temperature, due to water droplets absorbing heat to vaporize.
2- Increase octane rating from the methanol in the mixture, giving more flexibility towards your A/F ratio.
3- Scavenge heat from the engine block from the water vaporizing.
4- Transform a part of the lost thermal energy into pressure.

All those help towards higher hp. We are not talking 100whp, only 3-4...
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xmaster19
Sorry but you're wrong.
you're kidding right? I guess my limited understanding of meth injection is leading me to believe 5% meth is not going to increase octane significantly. I must be a dumb ***...

buddy, i know what it does and how it works...so you're mistaken if you think 5% meth at 110cc/min is going to make a shmick of difference in the octane rating of the fuel...you're not really increasing octane, but the compressibility of the mixture...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Mar 31, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Not the meth alone, water does not burn.

And those 2 things surely don't reduce the octane rating of the fuel...

I've never said that at those levels it would make much a difference, but a 50/50 mixture does. So my understanding is that 5% meth/95% also does, but 10 times less. Remember we're talking about 3-4 hp.

Last edited by xmaster19; Mar 31, 2012 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY Water/Meth Injection