Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

tranny problems...still really

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerX-Ralliart
If the brake master cylinder reservoir isn't full to the top it won't send fluid to the clutch master so when you go to bleed it air gets in the system from lack of fluid from the brake master reservoir so when you do bleed the system make sure it's full and fluid is leaving the reservoir when fluid comes out the bleeder. I thought I had a clog and the fluid was at the max line I took the tube off that goes to the CM and nothing came out til I filled the reservoir til it was almost over flowing than it came out to go the CM. Also I was able to stretch/ bend the first half of the metal clutch line from the CM to go to the slave cylinder eliminating the block thing ( can't remember the proper name)
yes my fluid is sitting maybe 3/4 to the fill line, and to answer cranswick yes i have checked several times in the boot there is a little bit in there but im certian it was from when i stepped on the clutch during winter storage with the tranny out.

I called a transmission place and he said that he doesn't think its a disengaging issue but more so to do with the new components and the fact that i cleaned up 1/2 gear probably just need a bit more time to run in say 2000 ish kms since ive only driven like 300. He also suggested i go back to an oem oil after this breaking in period, so im either goona go oem mitsu or the gm synchro mesh that everyone raves about.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
i'm going to give OEM gear oil a go in the coming weeks, i recently blew a CV joint, so i'll replace both axles and refill with OEM juice, and see if my 3rd gear smartens up...
Old May 4, 2012, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

I replaced both my master and slave and cleaned out my reservoir.... you probably won't believe the crud i found... but I'll post it in the next few days.... but clutch feels way better now. used 1L doing the traditional bleed, and .5L doing a reverse bleed
Old May 5, 2012, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
i'm going to give OEM gear oil a go in the coming weeks, i recently blew a CV joint, so i'll replace both axles and refill with OEM juice, and see if my 3rd gear smartens up...
hey man let me know if u can only buy a large amount from mitsu like enough to do 2+cars ill split the cost with you( ithink when i asked them they could only order like 5l jugs lol so let me know
Old May 5, 2012, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

on another note to anyone weighting in on this issue, zmax transmission fluid anyone know anything could it be benifital if so Canadian tire has it fro 25%off this week, what about the zmax engine oil stuff any good or just a waste of time?
Old May 7, 2012, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Never heard of zmax.. I wouldn't try it just because the fact if the gears do grind its a waste of money or on the other hand it can make it shift better.. I dont have money to burn like that but you do why not? Wait so when you bled it you mast was 3/4 below the fill line or above? I would try bleeding it again but make sure the brake master is to the top passed the fill line to the top of the reservoir..
Old May 7, 2012, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RacerX-Ralliart
Never heard of zmax.. I wouldn't try it just because the fact if the gears do grind its a waste of money or on the other hand it can make it shift better.. I dont have money to burn like that but you do why not? Wait so when you bled it you mast was 3/4 below the fill line or above? I would try bleeding it again but make sure the brake master is to the top passed the fill line to the top of the reservoir..
no offense but how have u not heard of zmax micro lubricants?? and on another note i never said my gears grind or ever did just seems like the meshing isnt as slippery as it should be so i was wondering if the zmax may help this like an addictive would also my reservoir is 3/4 full to the fill line not above and bleeding is fine no air comes out and the tranny seems to be shifting better now so i think a little more driving should help and then going back to oem or mt90 or gm synchromesh
Old May 7, 2012, 01:19 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have used the zmax oil and fuel additive kit. I like their infomercial I guess it did it's thing but I didn't notice any change in acceleration, gas mileage, or anything for that matter . So they won't get me twice. Not to mention the 30 dollar price tag, on top of the oil and oil filter :
Old May 8, 2012, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
I have used the zmax oil and fuel additive kit. I like their infomercial I guess it did it's thing but I didn't notice any change in acceleration, gas mileage, or anything for that matter . So they won't get me twice. Not to mention the 30 dollar price tag, on top of the oil and oil filter :
yeah i think there like 20 bucks here and then with an additional 25%off why not but if they dont really do anythign why bother maybe if it was a brand new rebuilt motor that i dont drive dialy.

Does anyone know about the tranny one tho and if it does anything to what they claim?
Old May 8, 2012, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just bought redline MTL in mine and I ran this when I changed my clutch and it feels fine the fluid that was in it before sucked and on the redline website it says MTL is the equivalent of gm synchromesh But the mt 90 does say Mitsubishi and also works were synchromesh is recommended Ill try that next time I change my fluid..
Old May 9, 2012, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

so i notice a difference from cold to warm weather in the shifting of my car, im also concerned that the dremel grinding i did to the surfaces of the dog teeth on 1/2 gear is why those gears are so bad and rough when the selector is engaging them do you guys think this will eventually wear in and become a little smoother with the amsoil i have in?
or should i just drain it right away and put something better like the redline mt90 or just go back to the oem before i wear it anymore or should i go through the full breakin 2000kms and then do? (which is going to happen either way)
Old May 9, 2012, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RallyartRob
so i notice a difference from cold to warm weather in the shifting of my car, im also concerned that the dremel grinding i did to the surfaces of the dog teeth on 1/2 gear is why those gears are so bad and rough when the selector is engaging them do you guys think this will eventually wear in and become a little smoother with the amsoil i have in?
or should i just drain it right away and put something better like the redline mt90 or just go back to the oem before i wear it anymore or should i go through the full breakin 2000kms and then do? (which is going to happen either way)
As long as the wear faces of the synchro are okay I don't see how sharpening the teeth would negatively affect to a great extent the shift feel... the teeth just allow the collar to slide on to it and act as a ramp to prevent the collar from prematurely slide on to the gear teeth if it isn't synchronized. Friction between the synchro and the gear is what allows them to slow down or speed up to synchronize the speed, so the wear faces have to have enough material to do that.

As we have said before Amsoil sucks in the transmission and killed my synchros in 20000 km. it's too slippery for the synchros to have enough friction to speed up or slow down the gear sufficiently to have a smooth shift.

I would take the amsoil out and put in OEM or 'GM Synchromesh Friction Modified' if I were in your shoes (I would personally use GMSMFM)
Old May 9, 2012, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Canada_Comp
As long as the wear faces of the synchro are okay I don't see how sharpening the teeth would negatively affect to a great extent the shift feel... the teeth just allow the collar to slide on to it and act as a ramp to prevent the collar from prematurely slide on to the gear teeth if it isn't synchronized. Friction between the synchro and the gear is what allows them to slow down or speed up to synchronize the speed, so the wear faces have to have enough material to do that.

As we have said before Amsoil sucks in the transmission and killed my synchros in 20000 km. it's too slippery for the synchros to have enough friction to speed up or slow down the gear sufficiently to have a smooth shift.

I would take the amsoil out and put in OEM or 'GM Synchromesh Friction Modified' if I were in your shoes (I would personally use GMSMFM)
So it was the dog teeth on the gear that the selector mates to not the actuall gear teeth that I grinded which is why I'm thinking its so rough and catching coming out of first as for the gear oil I'm goona do some research but I'm really tempted to just swap it out right now
Old May 9, 2012, 06:45 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you need to be very carefull with the claims you are making you seem 100% sure about them.
And you havent talked about how well was your tranny before the AMSOIL fluid, you haven't stated how bad was your clutch or your clutch adjustment, fluids won't stop a system from breaking they may surely help,,, at the end of the day an Evo is a performance car so we all know they are driven as such so when the drivetrain is not top notch and taken care of properly they will fail quick,,, why do you think shephard builds thousands of them a year.

It has been proven over and over that 90% of the time tranny failures is due to operator error not knowing how to maintain them or shift them,,, and given the fact that over 500 quarts of MTG were sold last year only for evo's, so in this case of having you and maybe a few others having issues leads me to believe there is a possible mechanical issues before hand

Originally Posted by Canada_Comp

Last edited by apagan01; May 9, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old May 9, 2012, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
I think you need to be very carefull with the claims you are making you seem 100% sure about them.
And you havent talked about how well was your tranny before the AMSOIL fluid, you haven't stated how bad was your clutch or your clutch adjustment, fluids won't stop a system from breaking they may surely help,,,
I believe I have stated that the transmission was rebuilt 24000 km previous to using Amsoil, and shifted fine with the oem fluid. There was an immediate difference in shift feel on the first test drive after filling with amsoil. This different feeling was not a good one as it felt like the selector collar was skimming some of the dog teeth on the gear. (Reference post 10 and 13 of this thread)

at the end of the day an Evo is a performance car so we all know they are driven as such so when the drivetrain is not top notch and taken care of properly they will fail quick,,, why do you think shephard builds thousands of them a year.
We aren't talking about evo's here. we are talking about ralliarts. non turbo. not all wheel drive.

It has been proven over and over that 90% of the time tranny failures is due to operator error not knowing how to maintain them or shift them,,,
seeing how I had no problems with other fluids, and how I change my fluid quite often at 24000 km (which isn't even utilizing amsoil's extended drain interval) I don't believe my case was an operator error, nor knowing how to maintain them, nor how to shift them. In my new rebuilt transmission, I only used amsoil MTG for 6000 km. I then switched it out with motul and noticed an immediate better shift feel compared to the amsoil. I don't believe the amsoil fluid was worn out after only 6000 km seeing how amsoil claims to have extended service intervals. Seeing how it improved after changing to motul, I would have to say that amsoil was not very good in my transmission.

and given the fact that over 500 quarts of MTG were sold last year only for evo's, so in this case of having you and maybe a few others having issues leads me to believe there is a possible mechanical issues before hand
I don't believe sales amounts means a good product. Things made in cheaply and in large quantities in a foreign country may have a large number of sales but may not last a long time. Testing is a good way to compare products. Seeing how the only variable that I changed was the transmission fluid from Amsoil to motul after only 6000 km on the Amsoil leads me to believe Amsoil isn't a great product for our transmission. maybe other transmission. but not the F5M42-2.

I am an amsoil member. I use amsoil in all my engines. It's a great product in the engines. NOT in our transmissions. Seeing how many Subarus also have problems with using any other fluid than OEM in the transmissions, Amsoil is not the best way to go in all transmissions.

Last edited by Canada_Comp; May 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: added references to post 10 and 13

Quick Reply: tranny problems...still really