Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Smooth shifting

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:11 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No hard feelings cranswick , it's just something that's going have to get done soon and the transmission is the only part of the car I haven't touched over the years. I'll just bombard you with pm's when I need some help.
Old May 9, 2012, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it has been a few weeks and I am getting pretty comfortable with the clutch release point. Just a quick question I wanted to throw out: do you guys notice shifting into second to be a bit "notchy"? I'm not even talking about when the car is on, even when the car is off? In all other gears it seems like the the gears just naturally slide from one to other. However, shifting to 2nd is always a hit or miss. Sometimes it is very smooth movement, and other times it seems like there is some mechanical resistance and I have to fight it to get it into gear. It's not really effecting anything on the car, but just seems to be a little off compared to other gears. Any ideas/suggestions?
Old May 10, 2012, 01:53 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How much did you do that we already suggested??
Old May 10, 2012, 05:22 AM

I applied grease to the shift lever and the moving parts in that area. I am also now using a heavy shift knob. That's about all that I have done. I will go in soon to get the transmission fluid changed, however this is happening even when the car is off...
Old May 10, 2012, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the transmission fluid yourself! it's about a half hour job if you've never done it before, and there's tutorials all over the place on here. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...lper-pics.html
Old May 11, 2012, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You can try the underhood shift cable bushings and base bushings which Some on here say its a must im buying mine next Friday. They are 45 plus tax n shipping I assume... you can find the website in the how to section in one of the forums showing how to replace them you would want to get the evo 8 bushings if I remember correctly
Old May 11, 2012, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliartN
Get a heavy shift knob from Ziggy in Hamilton, ON, he makes them: https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/home.php?cat=311

This did it for me, makes the shifts complete. no resistance to engaging gears at all.
Don't mean to hijack, but i dont see how a Heavier shift knob is gonna help with shifting, unless someone can't lift 5lbs. I dont know, maybe im just missing something, but i dont see in anyway how a heavier shiftknob would benefit or fix a grind issue.
Old May 11, 2012, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ezzey
Don't mean to hijack, but i dont see how a Heavier shift knob is gonna help with shifting, unless someone can't lift 5lbs. I dont know, maybe im just missing something, but i dont see in anyway how a heavier shiftknob would benefit or fix a grind issue.
It eliminated the occasional random times my shifts didn't synch, so I'm talking from experience. Waterloo seems a bit of a newbie, and he asked for suggestions. No one knows if his synchros are on their way out or he just has to develop better timing and feel. This type of thing cannot be visualized, gotta try stuff to see what works.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:32 PM

Thanks guys for the help! Didn't really have time for Transmission Oil change myself, however, the mechanic test drove and looked at all the linkages and bushings, old oil etc. and mentioned that everything is perfect...
Old May 14, 2012, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

I'm having this weird problem with MY 2nd gear now. When I go on higher RPMS -- not even THAT high, maybe around 3k RPM -- or when I go over 30km/h, my 2nd gear won't go in. It just grinds like a b*tch.

All my other gears work perfectly. Is it a synchro problem?

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2012, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Should I start a new thread instead?

No one seems to have any opinions on my last post LOL.

Hmm...
Old May 17, 2012, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
this grinding thing has been discussed recently, people are rolling their eyes that you didn't search. What tranny fluid are you using? Has the clutch been bled, or the cylinder cleaned out or checked for leaks?