Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Drop in K&N Filter

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2004, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

hey guys regarding the issue you guys are talking about, i really agree with most of your opinions, its true if you DO NOT have the money go for the K&N but if you do go for the CAI but in my opinion i would rather wait for a bit and see if theres gonna be more stuff out for the RA first . Cuz as far as i knw the only company that carries CAI is RRM right? (not sure but thats what i heard) and someone mention Injen is in the process of developing a CAI or somthing, i think its gonna be at least for another 6 months AT least maybe even a yr. When the 7th gen civics came out there werent any parts available for almost a yr , so i mean is best to wait and see dont rush boys!!
im just as anxious as you guys!! and since i live in Vancouver is really hard for me to find parts too man shiiiiet!! ~

But anyways, YES ITS TRUE THAT CAI can produce more hp and yes CAI is better than SRI or just a K&N. It all depends on your budget right?.

BTW, i think im gonna start with the K&N first then the CAI. kinda wanna see the difference myself. keke
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

About the k&N vs Ralliart filter, wouldn't you rather use a company that specializes in one certain thing rather than a company that generally supplies better than stock items?? I know that K&N is proven and I trust them. I would rather have a K&N than a CAI as well cause of warranty issues. I ordered one for $80.00 can. Cheap. I have one in my sonoma and water got into my air cleaner assembly before somehow but the K&N prevented any of it from damaging any crutial parts.~ ~
Old Feb 27, 2004, 03:34 AM

Um news flash all, the CAI from RRM comes with a nice lil K&N...thus the 'million miles' also applies to the nice lil RRM CAI.
Old Mar 6, 2004, 02:06 PM

you are all crazy CAI vs. K&N vs. SAI.............. .................. :eek: Like O my god!!!!
OKOKOK im trying to keep a strate face. If you want the most HP gains. go with the RRM (COLD AIR INTAKE a.k.a. "CAI") and if you dont get the K&N cone filter with it. Then go and buy one for $60 @ autozone. "get in the zone auto zone" now SAI why I say no is because SAI is for show it does nothing for your engine but pullin hot air, your engin get hot thus making the ari in the engin compartment hot. thus COLD AIR INTAKE cold air help your engin perform better its your call hot air chocking your engin for $100 or cold air for $200 or so. as for K&N stock replacements its just that a stock replacement. if you want the most power GO WITH COLD AIR INTAKE! and thats the end of that... :mitsu:
Old Mar 6, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Lancer_racer

now SAI why I say no is because SAI is for show it does nothing for your engine but pullin hot air, your engin get hot thus making the ari in the engin compartment hot.
OK, that part of your statement isnt totally accurate. There have been tests that show air temp on the SRI and the air is warmer than the CAI, but not so much that you arent getting any power gains out of it. Also, you are going to get gains from the SRI because with an open element filter you are getting a less impeded flow of air to the throttle body. So once again...more air = more power. Now the CAI is better performing, but the SRI is still going to be better than a drop in K&N filter because you wont have an air box to fight with. And you can get a nice air filter at auto zone, kragen, pep boys, etc for $25 and it will work just great. As far as money goes, if you go to any pipe bender you can make your own "ghetto" cold air intake for under $100 ( I did).
Old Mar 6, 2004, 06:47 PM

thats true SAI can be better than CAI but to get that effect yo need a hood scoop to alow colder air to flow in to the engine bay. basicaly the colder the air the better you perform the wormer the air the more it holds you back in performance. so if you have a hood scoop to direct air your doing to things at once putting cold air in to the engin and putting colder air in to the intake. why so conserned about worm air VS. cold air. well you talk about dyno test and all that bs. but go back to the basics heat robbs HP so the wormer the air the less performance your getting. so if you go SAI you will need an opening in your hood to put the colder air right over the cone filter. quit getting your info from video games!
Old Mar 6, 2004, 06:53 PM

thus cooling down your engin and making her perform better!!! so eather go a custom hood scoop and a SAI, or save your slef money and time go CAI.

youallls cant beat the pimp of the lancer's
Old Mar 6, 2004, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

thats true SAI can be better than CAI

well you talk about dyno test and all that bs. but go back to the basics heat robbs HP so the wormer the air the less performance your getting.

quit getting your info from video games!
1. who said ANYTHING about the SRI being better than the CAI?? I said SRI is better than K&N drop in, not better than CAI.

2. he temp of the air for a SRI isnt so hot that you wouldnt get anything, you just dont get as much. And those numbers between CAI and SRI arent THAT far apart. Some people also are concerned about getting a CAI due to weather and a SRI is a good alternative. And if you check into that you will see once again I am right.

3. Video Games huh? You have no idea who you are talking to so you should think twice before popping off. Some people know more than others. I dont know as much as all, but I know more than most. So far you have offered very little to help anyone, but quick at the lip on the internet.

michael7
Old Mar 6, 2004, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

thus cooling down your engin and making her perform better!!!
GEEZ man, sucking up cooler air has NOTHING to do with the temp of your engine. Cooler air is better because when the temperature drops the air becomes more dense. Meaning more oxygen by volume. More oxygen mean better combustion which in turn means more power. Once again you need to read a little before advising people.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 01:48 PM

hmmmm you just sumed up what ive been saying. why dont you read what I have ritten an then read your last post, if can read then youll see thats what I have been saying. but thank you for puting it in to technical terms for everyone els. Now back to CAI VS. SAI, cold air intake that is ceramic coated, would perform the best. true the heat from the engin will heat up the intake tubingcausing to heat up the air making it less dence. thus the ceramic coating helps insleat agenst the heat causing the air comming in to the engine to stay cooler and more dence. thus causing a chain reaction of better performance out of your cold air intake....
now with short air intake the engen bay is hot causing the ai to be less dence thus the performance go's down. because short air intakes just suck in the hot air from the engin bay. now if you got a few hood scoops thats another story hood scoops and hood vents help the to cool down the engin by putting cooler air in and taking hotter air out, which hleps out your SAI ideah. the whole ideah of doing intake setups is to get your computer breathing better. but also dont for get to do exhaust and headers.

this ons on me bro
Attached Images  
Old Mar 8, 2004, 02:44 PM

also if you are woried about sucking up water. just get a bypass valve it kicks in when water inters the intake chamber acting like a SAI system. I ran a cold air intake system on my 1993 saturn SL2 and it did wonders as far as intake performance. also I do know what im talking about im trying to help people out there get the best intake for there money. and the best way to go in intake for the most performance is to go with cold air intake, and if the pyping is not cyrsmic coated then go to the paint shop and have it dune. it is verry hard to get water in to your engin using a cold air intake systembelive me I have tried to kill my engin by doung that befoer just for fun, becuase i was driving an old saturn. but if you want to spend the moneyand get the best get CAI, next I would use the SAI but I would custom build a heat shild to keep out the hot air and to try to only alow cold air in. I would not/ never go with a stock K&N replacement. why you ask well to much money for to little performance, thats why.

also why are you getting so bent out of shaper with cai vs. sai when there is no sai on the markit for the 2004 mivec engine?
Old Mar 8, 2004, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Ultimate Racing has a Short Ram available for the Ralliart.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

The "Harlem Shake" performed by a retard
Attached Images  
Old Mar 8, 2004, 03:31 PM

the sai on http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...Index-US.shtml is not bad but keep in mid if thats what you want then go for it, but if you want to get the best get the RRM cai. just remember heat robbs HP, so why suck in hot air when you can suck in cooler air that is denser, which also give a better burn. thank about it. and if you are woried about sucking up water get the bypass valve. plus if your that woried adout hydro locking your engin you shuld not be driving in that kind of wather. the cold air intake is to high to take in water!
Old Mar 8, 2004, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

I think the case for CAI vs. SRI vs. drop-in has been made earlier...

Yes, performance would dictate that the CAI is best, however if money stricken, the drop-in will add a couple ponies.

However, for the right mix of cheap, and non-voiding warrenty, there's the SRI...

and well, personally I prefer something that the dealer puts on, b/c if there's problems then they have to deal with it.

...not tot mention that my plans include proper heat shielding for it...