Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

To seafoam or not to seafoam, that is the question, 06 Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2012, 08:37 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by slc-ralliart
I'm all for DIY on nearly everything except for valve adjustment. My mechanic charges me $20 to do the adjustment. It takes him 15 minutes and everything is whisper quiet. Well worth the money to avoid any mistakes.
Wow that is a deal, not to mention fast as hell. He can remove the valve cover, adjust 16 valve springs, replace the valve cover, start up the car and do it again. My hat is off to him
Old Jul 3, 2012, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Wow that is a deal, not to mention fast as hell. He can remove the valve cover, adjust 16 valve springs, replace the valve cover, start up the car and do it again. My hat is off to him
He is an old Mercedes mechanic and is very familiar with valve adjustments. 15 minutes might be an exaggeration but definitely not more than 30 minutes. He has never had to do it over again though. He does it once. Re-checks all the clearances and then replaces the valve cover and starts it up.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by apagan01
To prevent intake manifold, intake valves, and throttle body carbon deposites which show in a black cake tot he parts can be avoided by 1. Running premium sytehtics oils that do not vaporate and leave resedues behind. Why do oils vaporate they do all the time when heat in the cylinders appear caused by combustion, this is when oil starts cooking and evaporates and that sticks to the parts over time causing balck gunk.
2. Run a good fuel cleaner through the fuel tank every so often and that will keep your intake valves, top of your pistons and injectors clean. "The Power Foam gives sea foam a run for its money"

Many folks use this every 4-5 months:

"2. Running a good fuel cleaner through the fuel tank every so often. "

Thats the same as running the seafoam through the gas tank or the vacuum line.
just a different product. so whether you use power foam or seafoam or a different type of cleaner, it could be considered "preventative" if you do it more often to keep from having as much build up.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Does anyone know of any real MPG gains from using seafoam? I can't seem to find anyone talking about that. All I really see is "oh damnnnn man, you shoulda seen the smoke! It def helped". But not seeing any real facts listed.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't think you would gain MPG. The only thing it could do would bring you back up to where you should be.

While we are naming our favorite fluids I'll throw mine out. Redline SI-1. Used it in all my cars and it works great.

That being said I don't feel the need to a injector cleaner since I do so much highway driving.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slc-ralliart
I wouldn't think you would gain MPG. The only thing it could do would bring you back up to where you should be.

While we are naming our favorite fluids I'll throw mine out. Redline SI-1. Used it in all my cars and it works great.

That being said I don't feel the need to a injector cleaner since I do so much highway driving.
I'm wasn't thinking it would imporove beyond what it was designed, I was hoping it would bring it back to where it should be. With that being said, I'm not finding anyone even talking about that.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 02:54 PM

real facts listed, your not going to really see a gain in mpg. only a smoother, cleaner running engine, i average about 300 miles a tank, and after using seafoam, still the same 300 miles a tank. but the engine runs nicer, seems to accel smoother (less hesitaion from dirty IM and injectors). you can see an increase in mpg by changing driving habits and have better luck with that. make some more sense?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Someone in the evo forums said he got 100+ miles to the tank after using seafoam but I highly doubt it
Old Jul 3, 2012, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

yeah....i'm going to call BS on that.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RacerX-Ralliart
Someone in the evo forums said he got 100+ miles to the tank after using seafoam but I highly doubt it
Getting 24-26mpg and doing seafoam will get ppl 24-26mpg in most cases.....unless it makes our gas tanks bigger
Old Jul 4, 2012, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

That's the info I needed! Thank you guys. I don't think I need it yet then cus everything runs really smooth currently and seems like its been well maintained.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 03:39 PM

Chiming in on seafoam:

Its alot of fun to do because of the smoke it makes when you put it through the intake manifold via the hoses in the back. It also cleans a good amount. This goes for fuel injectors too.

If your IM and other parts are incredibly grimy and you're only making 20 mpg because of it, then yes, do it. But 26 mpgs are pretty decent already. Just using Seafoam wont change that by much.