Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

To seafoam or not to seafoam, that is the question, 06 Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To seafoam or not to seafoam, that is the question, 06 Ralliart

So the big question I have is if I should throw some seafoam through my car to improve my fuel efficiency. I am averaging between 24-26 mpg.

What do you guys think? Will seafoam be that magical thing to clean my engine and allow it to get better fuel mileage? If so how should I go about it? Should I run it through the crankcase, vacuum line and fuel tank? If so how would I go about adding it to the crankcase and vacuum line? Is there a better time to seafoam?

Please let me know your thoughts.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

24-26mpg on city? highway? Those numbers are pretty normal for the RA depending on your driving.

Personally I wouldn't use any additives. Additives generally mean bad maintenance schedules if you need to use them. If you've given decent to good maintenance to your car you shouldn't look into using any additives. To seafoam it...meh I've heard both good and bad stories about it I wouldn't look into it either but maybe others have good experiences with it.

To be fair whats the year and mileage on your car.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
I ran some through my gas tank the last time I filled up. I was planning on running it through the intake once and the vacuum line.

Then I heard you can put it into your transmission to clean it a bit before flushing it. But I wasnt too sure about that one myself.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread might help you decide.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-sea-foam.html
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:06 PM

I seafoam. Used it on my 07 ram hemi when i hit 30k miles and the carbon build up in the IM was unbelievable. When i bought my 04 ralliart in august of last yr (2004 with 124000 miles at the time) the first thing i did is run seafoam through the IM yet again there was solid white smoke coming out for 15 minutes before clearing up. What kind of maintenance could be done to prevent that? I know. Seafoam. Ive never had issues. Thats my 2 cents. :-) anyone else have some input
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by $MIVEC$
24-26mpg on city? highway? Those numbers are pretty normal for the RA depending on your driving.

Personally I wouldn't use any additives. Additives generally mean bad maintenance schedules if you need to use them. If you've given decent to good maintenance to your car you shouldn't look into using any additives. To seafoam it...meh I've heard both good and bad stories about it I wouldn't look into it either but maybe others have good experiences with it.

To be fair whats the year and mileage on your car.
The car is an 06 and is at about 110k. I bought it used in the spring. I notice on startup that it's not instant and when I use fuel injector cleaner it does improve my fuel economy for a little while so this is what's gotten me thinking about seafoam.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
24-26 is what i avg on the AT. I'm around 130k mileage on my 05

I've only run the bottle through my gas tank, never yet in the oil or vacuum line yet as I'm afraid of screwing something up
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used it on my IX. Ran it through the vacuum hose, used in gas and also in my oil for like 25 miles before an oil change. It ran much better after words.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:11 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Seafoam is the lazy way to "clean" the intake and fuel system.

Remove the head , get it p&p completely , rebuilt, heat tank the head and intake manifold, clean the tb by hand with your mother-in-laws toothbrush, clean the intake tubing (internal), and clean the air filter. Run-on sentence and this isn't practical but it will give better results than the seafoam even without the p&p head
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

24-26 I am getting with both hiway and city combined.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Interestingly, using high octane fuel all the time, and changing oil as scheduled in the owners manual, makes it unnecessary to do this.

I've used it in old Subarus, in the intake and fuel tank, lots of white smoke and crud came out. Didn't ever hurt anything. The smoke killed all the mosquitos too.

Lanzer's way is best for peace of mind and to smack down the in-laws.

Your call.

Last edited by RalliartN; Jun 29, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^yeah but the seafom thing is,that you want to "fix" it quick and not w/ much work, not to mention cheaply...not tear half the engine apart and fine tooth comb clean it...then p&p..lol

in my opinion...the car's doing fine..i wouldnt worry about it...you can clean the TB for safe measure but it wont make a huge difference...ussually the reccomended interval for intake cleaning is ~1yr/15kmi anyway..but it wont hurt it if u let it go longer...untill you notice lower gas mileage or power loss....or some kind of driveability issue

Last edited by nekkidlad; Jun 29, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Well I took one for the team and added 2/3 to the gas and 1/3 to the vacuum line. Just fair warning there is a **** load of smoke and when you remove the line the engine sputters a lot. But it's sitting now for five minutes and I'll update after I'm done
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Took 3 times to start her up :P 3rd times a charm eh?

That Last bit was for Cranswick to show how my Serp Belt Whines like a Spooling Turbo, but you could barely hear it. And yes

I KNOWWW i need valve adjustment badly

EDIT: Sorry for the ****ty coloring, the sun was very bright and distorted the AWB and Auto Color
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

I'm interested to see what your MPG gains will be.

Quick Reply: To seafoam or not to seafoam, that is the question, 06 Ralliart