Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Emanage, SAFC, ???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2004, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emanage, SAFC, ???

Well guys I am trying to get my car as close to 200whp as possible without tearing it down and without FI. I keep reading about the emanage from greddy and here people say good things. I also see RRM claiming 10%-13% horsepower gains. So does this mean if I have CAI and exhaust I am looking at a real 15 whp? Can someone explain the difference between the SAFC and emanage? I hate not knowing about these things but if I dont ask I will never know for sure. Thanks guy and feel free to throw any info related to getting to my 200whp in here too.
Thanks,
Michael
Old Feb 1, 2004, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

The s-afc is just a tool to monitor and change your air/fuel ratio, for adding FI. The GReddy emanage allows you to alter MIVEC points, timing, etc. I think the GReddy may also allow you to mess with AFR. But as far as I know the s-afc is only for changing AFR.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

do you control the emanage yourself? Is it preset with just a plug and play sort of deal? Why wouldnt you be able to alter MIVEC with the SAFC? I know there are SAFC's for JDM mivec motors that control MIVEC points. Do the ones here not do that also? I am seriously curious because I want to do a little more.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 01:21 PM

What you are talking about is a V-AFC which is the SAFC but allows you to control where the MIVEC engages at. If you had the money go emanage or hell just go the piggy back system that Road Race sells.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

yeah but the piggy back is not going to give you the control that emanage does. I too would go with some sort of end-user programmable piggy back(emanage, xede, etc.) but if you don't wanna tune I would agree that going with rrm's comp would work. Sartuche, so is the difference between safc and vafc the ability to change other parameters(MIVEC, timing, etc.)?
Old Feb 1, 2004, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

yeah but I dont know if anyone has tried to wire the VAFC on our cars yet. I know that they have done it in the past for the Cyborg R motor and the FTO. So what is the difference between the piggy back frm RRM and the GReddy emanage?
Old Feb 1, 2004, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Dude i cannot stress enough.....go with the emanage, **** the SAFC.....i don't have a RA, i have an evo, but it's all the same. Emanage provides 16x16 map for air::fuel, plus it controls ignition timing, extra injector setting, anti-engine stall (for a VTA BOV if you ever decide to go FI), and several other thing that I can't remember off the top of my head. The SAFC only has a 8x1 or maybe 16x1 map for air::fuel....The emanage is only a little bit more and you get some much more with it. You WILL get more hp with the emanage bc of ignition timing and more in-depth air::fuel control....Also, being able to hook your laptop up to it gives it that bling factor.....Basically the emanage is like a miniature stand-alone........I have the emanage and love it....actually sold my SAFC to buy the emanage. Plus, unless you like endless gauges everywhere....the emanage is the size of a small audio amp and can be hidden behind the glove box so theives don't snoop. IMHO, unless you want a complete stand-alone the emanage is the ONLY other option.....
Old Feb 1, 2004, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

ok, so now I think we have an adamant answer about the SAFC and the emanage, what about the RRM piggy back ECU?
Old Feb 1, 2004, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

the rrm piggy back is a plug and play. you have no control over what it does, and as far as I heard from rrm their is no real reflash capability planned in the future, but you would have to contact them for that. But that is not engine management that you can tune.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

RRM=plug and play............Greddy E-manage=tune and dyno
cost is not too much different=your preference
Old Feb 2, 2004, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

what about the install of the e-manage vs. the RRM piggy back? What kind of power differences are we looking at between the 2?
Old Feb 2, 2004, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

e-manage can be altered as your mods change...that's the good thing. Tuning it to maximize will probably take some time. RR's piggyback basicly ....from what they told me its maximized if your just going to do simple mods...intake, exhaust. The e-manage is better in the way that you can adjust it.... I think the power difference will be next to nothing if the e-manage is done right. Unless your going to stack up the mods like headers, turbos etc. then I would maybe stick to the RRM just because you will waste more time with the E-manage....maybe more money at the Dyno..... P.S. you can sell the Greddy e-manage easier
Old Feb 2, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys, the only thing a I am going to wait for before spending my money is a dyno chart on the piggy back ECU. I am thinking I am leaning that way as of right now.