Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

motor wont crank timing belt doesnt move???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
wow, really? all that speculation?

your timing belt is stripped, you won't hear the valves colliding with the pistons...if it failed at low RPM the valves might still be ok...replace the belt, and check compression, if outside specification, you'll have to pull the head...if the head needs to come off the repair cost would be several hundred even doing the work yourself, the head would have to go to a machinist...just get a new timing belt to check compression and report back.

there may be no valve damage...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Oct 26, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broken cam maybe? sounds like something def broken, doesnt seem like it could even be a sensor yet something could be so worn that certain sensors arent getting the info they need
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

the timing belt is stripped, there's no way the cam is broken, and the cam is mechanically coupled to the crank via the timing belt, so if the crank turns and the cam doesn't, the timing belt has failed, no sensor or any other factors will cause the two of them to move independantly...i don't even understand why this is up for debate...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:58 PM

This actually happened to me with 148k miles on my 04 RA. The timing belt got stripped away and the valves hit the piston and crack the heads.

I'm currently fixing the car i'm so far in like 3k in parts and labor and thats with a couple of aftermarket items. I bought an engine and i'm just waiting to get my engine and parts in to fix it all and i don't know what to do with my old engine.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by riechman
could it be a sensor? or im guessing something serious internally?
my first guess is u may have jumped a tooth if the timing belt hasn't been done in which case u would could a bad reading between the crank and cam sensor and it wont start the car,

if the rest is turning but the timing belt isnt check for tension in the hydraulic tensioner and check for missing teeth around the crank pulley and the cam pulley.

edit 1 i should have checked the dates i didnt realize how old this was lol

Last edited by RallyartRob; Nov 19, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:18 PM

hey guys found out what the problem was my timing belt didnt break but the teeth came off the belt which i guess through it off time. about to order a new timing belt but should i get the kid for it? what would be best? should i replace all the tensioners? i found a kit online only for 86 bucks but does anyone know the process of taking off the bottom cover? do i have to remove the water pump too bc some kits come with a new water pump? any help would be great hope i didnt bend any valves...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:27 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do a search for " timing belt " there is tons and tons of info
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
wow, really? all that speculation?

your timing belt is stripped, you won't hear the valves colliding with the pistons...
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
the timing belt is stripped, there's no way the cam is broken...
hey guys found out what the problem was my timing belt didnt break but the teeth came off the belt
i said that twice...lol
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

hey guys found out what the problem was my timing belt didnt break but the teeth came off the belt which i guess through it off time. about to order a new timing belt but should i get the kid for it? what would be best? should i replace all the tensioners? i found a kit online only for 86 bucks but does anyone know the process of taking off the bottom cover? do i have to remove the water pump too bc some kits come with a new water pump? any help would be great hope i didnt bend any valves...
i had a section in here as well on this last winter, i did timing belt and balance belt, balancer tensioner pulley, timing tensioner pulley, timing idler pulley, and waterpump all oem your looking around5-600 off of www.mitsubishiuparts.net. delear wants like700 jsut to do the timing belt so its a really good buy for oem parts which i suggest when it comes to timing

edit1 mitsubishi parts.net has a 10% off store wide disscoutnnright now go look under the specials arear to get this code it will tell u what is excluded

Coupon Code: bWAXNpw7
Coupon Desc: 10% OFF SITE WIDE

Last edited by RallyartRob; Nov 29, 2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:51 AM

does anyone know where i can get a timing belt cover (bottom) or would it be called the camshaft cover? can't find it anywhere it cracked when i took it off...and thank you everyone for all the help
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

the camshaft is in the head, the lower cover protects the crank, timing parts and oil pump...

you'll likely have to buy it new, if you can't find a motor to rob it from...did you forget a bolt and then try to pull it off?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:43 PM

sorry ya crankshaft* and it was so brittle when i slid went to pull it off it just cracked through and the crankshaft plug was kinda stuck on the sensor. but i cant even find it new but i haven't checked the dealer.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

you'll likely be over-charged at the dealer, if no one posts it, it'll get you the OEM part number when i get home from work...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:19 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here ....

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...-cam-more.html

Last edited by lanzerralliart; Nov 29, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
there you go...

or MN158387 if you want new, $50 + shipping, but obviously doesn't come with the crank angle sensor...

Quick Reply: motor wont crank timing belt doesnt move???