Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

motor wont crank timing belt doesnt move???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
motor wont crank timing belt doesnt move???

hey guys i have a 04 lancer ralliart 2.4L 190xxx on the motor i was driving to the store yesterday and the car just shut off like if you were driving and turned the key off. The day before that i notice that there was a little very quiet noise coming from the pully side of the motor. the motor wont turn over and im lost at what it could be its getting fuel. pulled the coils off the motor and tested the plug that plugs into it and its getting power when i crank the motor it feels like there is nothing holding it back. the pulleys move but nothing in the motor does the timing belt doesnt move nor does any rockers that i can see from the oil cap. worried someone plz help!!!:he lpme:
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

so the accseorrys belt turns but not the timimg belt!?

is that what you are saying?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:39 AM

yes the belt that drives the alternator..ect.. works but not the timing belt under the cover and the belt isnt broken that i can tell.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

is the motor chugging like its trying to turn over? are you throwing any check engine lights?

Last edited by fastyouth1313; Oct 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:51 AM

yes the motor is trying to start but its just like its turning over with nothing tryin to slow it down and yes the service engine light went on as soon as it shut off when i was driving.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:01 PM

could it be a sensor? or im guessing something serious internally?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Is the timing belt tight? Is there any play when you pull on it?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

i would start with going and getting that read to see what it says.

you already said your getting spark and fuel correct? are you sure!?
if the cam angle sensor wen out your fuel and ignition would go out.

Same with you crank angle sensor.

i think you need to have sometry and crank it while you look down through you oil cap and sse if the cams are rotating.

you can check behind the coin cup by your left knee and see if your ignition fuse is blown.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:10 PM

thank you and the fuel rail is getting fuel that i no. and when i looked in my oil cap when being started nothing moved. and do you know which one it is for the interior fuse panel? i dont have my manual thank you so much
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by riechman
could it be a sensor? or im guessing something serious internally?

if the timing belt broke you you would hear valves hitting pistons.

your crank is attached to your crank pulley if the acc belt is spinning and your timing belt is in tack and you hear/ feel the engine cranking then your timimg/cam is rotaiting and it is most likely one of those sensors the crank angle sensor or cam angle sensor.

iv have seen on case of this though, the reluctor wheel that works hand in hand with your crank angle sensor. the reluctor wheel becomes de-magnitized, and your crank angle sensor isnt getting a reading telling your ecu that it doesnt know what position your crank is in therefore your ecu will go into a safe mode cutting spark and fuel.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by riechman
thank you and the fuel rail is getting fuel that i no. and when i looked in my oil cap when being started nothing moved. and do you know which one it is for the interior fuse panel? i dont have my manual thank you so much
on the back of the coin cup it tells you what fuses are what.

if your POSITVE that your engine is cranking but your timing belt is not moving your belt is broken, or hast the teeth eatin away where you crank gear isnt grabbing it to spin or the crank gear it self some how got FU*k*D
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

put it on jack stands, take off the passenger side wheel. pull back the wheel well and lower timing cover and see if the timing belt is loose
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:24 PM

thats what my dad said that the teeth broke or somthing. the motor is turning the pulleys for the ac/alt/ect but the timing isnt moving nearther is the rockers.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ if you are 100% that is happening then stop cranking your motor, well to be honest the damage is done. these engines are interfearence motors and you have some valves open and you pistons are crashing into them and bending them.... that is worse case senario.

and in my opinon a car that is nearly 10 years old and 200k on it it might just be totaled due to repair cost.

id the above statment is what happened... your best bet is would be to try and find a complete long block and just swap motors.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:43 PM

i just checked from the top of the timing belt it seems tight havnt took the tire off and check the bottom i tore my MCL and cant really work how i want to lol but thank you for the info i check the fuses all that had a motor on were good. hopefully ill be able to get an obd2 computer and hope its a sensor. when the motor turns it doesnt sound like the pistons are hitting the valves but ill take ur word for it. i looked for a motor last year bc i wanted to hop one up then throw it in and they were goin for 400 bucks with 30,000 on them and i just looked up the cheapest i fould was around 1300. in otherwords im screwed lol

Quick Reply: motor wont crank timing belt doesnt move???