Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Gears won't go in

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gears won't go in

Just wondering if its normal for a gear not to go in if your going to fast for it, if I'm slowing down and need to downshift gears won't go in unless I'm going slow enough for them. Is this like gear synchronizers or is it the clutch or is it normal? I hate it sometimes trying to turn into a driveway but 2nd to first wont go so I have to almost stop all the way before 1st will slide in. Also my second gear feels weird going in it feels more mechanical and crunchy then smooth, just wondering if that's a problem. Kinda new to cars and stuff but I'm learning(:
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
you should never have to downshift to first gear while in motion, if you do, you should come to a near complete stop anyways...and for example if you're doing 70mph 2nd gear could damage the engine and puts a lot of stress on the clutch/transmission....
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:27 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah I agree with crans. I never downshift to 1st nor would I recommend it. 1st has always been really touquey so I wouldn't push the limits there.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'll bet you have non-OEM tranny fluid. Go with stock fluid or one of the synchro-mesh types like Redline MTL or BG.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

The only time you would ever downshift to 1st is if your in 2nd and the rpm is 3000 or less. Example would be on an icy bridge. If you decide to do this, make sure its really smooth. If the car wants to jerk, your rpm is way too high.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

I'm of the opinion that yes you can shift into first while moving, but you will find that the slower you go, the easier it will shift into 1st gear. You should never force it but rather just let it pop into gear with a little assistance. Make love to it, not war. lol.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thomar
I'm of the opinion that yes you can shift into first while moving, but you will find that the slower you go, the easier it will shift into 1st gear. You should never force it but rather just let it pop into gear with a little assistance. Make love to it, not war. lol.
LOL this has been my solution ever since i got my car

"be a lover, not a fighter" when it comes to your tranny
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomar
Rev match and it goes in quite effortlessly.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Rev match and it goes in quite effortlessly.
+1
I always rev match while downshifting to 1st pulling into the driveway
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

i downshift to 1st in my driveway, but like i said, i'm at a near stop when i do...1st gear is so touchy, anything above 3000 RPM is way too torquey for any situation
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I find downshifting to 1st is all but unnecessary...like its been said above...too much torque...as soon as u downshift and hit the gas u gotta shift back up to 2nd anyway...

even if u didnt downshift it's better to shift to 2nd quickly anyway...or ull be very jerky maneuvering around the parking lot or driveway(or w/e) if u stay in 1st...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Man you guys must not know how to be smooth than I don't have a problem driving in first.. I downshift cause I don't like the sound of the engine luging around in second when coming to a stop light and it turns green right before I stop
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nekkidlad
even if u didnt downshift it's better to shift to 2nd quickly anyway...or ull be very jerky maneuvering around the parking lot or driveway(or w/e) if u stay in 1st...

I dont have that problem. I'm smooth as butter on olive oil. I rather shift into first gear than try to get going at too slow of a speed in second. You'll either lug the engine or slip the clutch.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

when that happens i come to a near stop and shift to first, you don't want to downshift to first at 3000 rpm in second is all i'm saying.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:49 PM

I quite like this "feature." It prevents you from destroying the engine shifting into a gear that can't handle the speed you're going. Can't downshift into 1st above like 20mph. Same applies in 2nd. Go like 70 or 80 and try to shift into 2nd... you can't. I'd assume it's the same for all, but I haven't tried it for any higher gear.

Quick Reply: Gears won't go in