Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

How does the downpipe sound without the cat?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does the downpipe sound without the cat?

On the fence about ordering the header / downpipe combo really worried about if I go catless that the sound will be terrible. Right now I got a decent muffler. Just sorta did it when I got the car without doing any research into cat backs or anything but it sounds really good, but would like to have the downpipe. Will it make a difference at all? Is anyone here catless and can share a video?
I know it sounds lame being worried about the sound and all but I would hate sounding really "Ricey"
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:25 PM

There's no need for a cat.. It's just a restriction to your air flow. Go on you tube you can see lots of videos on there. I personally don't like open down pipe on the other hand unless its for a track set up.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The best part about ditching the cat is the meowing goes away.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bo0sted
There's no need for a cat.. It's just a restriction to your air flow. Go on you tube you can see lots of videos on there. I personally don't like open down pipe on the other hand unless its for a track set up.
I looked for videos for awhile and no one got a good clip of a ralliart revving
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
for the EVO guys its alright to go without the cat cause they still have their turbos.... imo its going to sound like rasp without some sort of cat or resonator
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raikiri
for the EVO guys its alright to go without the cat cause they still have their turbos.... imo its going to sound like rasp without some sort of cat or resonator
Dang :/
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
How does it sound ? LOUD AS HELL!!! and if your modded fire will be shooting out causing everyone to look at you
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ralliart367
On the fence about ordering the header / downpipe combo really worried about if I go catless that the sound will be terrible. Right now I got a decent muffler. Just sorta did it when I got the car without doing any research into cat backs or anything but it sounds really good, but would like to have the downpipe. Will it make a difference at all? Is anyone here catless and can share a video?
I know it sounds lame being worried about the sound and all but I would hate sounding really "Ricey"
when i first got my ralliart i was putting on an exhaust from an oz lancer so i needed to modify the mid-pipe for a co2 and a little shorter for the larger cat, i drove the car with out the exhaust hooked up and my good it sounded badass, stupid loud as well but like a tank. i just realized after all that i still ahd the cat on and this doesn't really help i guess.

I have heard the header combo can make it sound a little tingy but i believe that was the OBX all ive heard about the RRM is that he didnt like it so i dunno
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Haha was it my video? I had the original RRM downpipe for stock headers with stock muffler very Ricey I got rid of it. I feel the rice was caused by the stock muffler not able to handle the extra flow of exhaust gases well not the dp though.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kayouu
Haha was it my video? I had the original RRM downpipe for stock headers with stock muffler very Ricey I got rid of it. I feel the rice was caused by the stock muffler not able to handle the extra flow of exhaust gases well not the dp though.
Yours was one of them there was one other I found but I think taking out the cat would be part of the sound to, but maybe the muffler was it to. I might just go for it and see if it sounds good if not then I guess il have a Ricey sounding car with a couple extra horses if any
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Its loud as ****.... I have mine catless nd i get tickets all th time but it eventually spunds really oodonce the headers get worked in
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Nah mine was loud as **** with cat and resonator cut off before bend
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ralliart367
Yours was one of them there was one other I found but I think taking out the cat would be part of the sound to, but maybe the muffler was it to. I might just go for it and see if it sounds good if not then I guess il have a Ricey sounding car with a couple extra horses if any
once its all isntalled i dont think it would be to ahrd to take it or (just the midpipe prior) and ask them to cut and weld a catalytic inline or cut and shorten the flange so u can bolt a catalytic inline if you dont like the sound and get herassewd for no cat
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RallyartRob
once its all isntalled i dont think it would be to ahrd to take it or (just the midpipe prior) and ask them to cut and weld a catalytic inline or cut and shorten the flange so u can bolt a catalytic inline if you dont like the sound and get herassewd for no cat
Yeah I was looking at the bolt ins and seeing if I could make it work
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

When I installed my header/dp combo, I didn't have a free flow muffler on at the time (no catback, oem piping and muffler).

It sounded like major tin can.

Haha I didn't break about 2500 rpm for a good 3 weeks.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to slap a "because racecar" decal on your back window

I got a hiflow and muffler installed and it quietened it down a good amount.

I have a video of my exhaust up from when it was still relatively fresh. It's calmed down since then.

Quick Reply: How does the downpipe sound without the cat?