Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Help! Flywheel bolts are too short?? 06 ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
would fastenal carry such a thing, maybe they can get it for you...
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
would fastenal carry such a thing, maybe they can get it for you...
I'll see what I can find.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use a forwarding company to get the bolts
http://www.shipito.com/
The bolts will be sent to them then they repack and send it to you.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Go to a Toyota or Chrysler dealer and see what they have in stock. These fasteners are used by many OEM's, they probably have a selection on the shelf. Gotta go into town anyway later, I will pop in today to see what some local dealers have. Have you asked PartSource or Napa yet?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Here ya go, in Surrey BC: http://www.fullermetric.com/products...ne_thread.aspx

Go to their "Distributors" page, they list many in BC who can sell them to you over-the-counter. Boom.

For guys near Toronto, the distributor is: http://www.tryhard.net/default.aspx?Page=Home

Last edited by RalliartN; Mar 14, 2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RalliartN
Well, they're available, seems like a specialty automotive item, we can probably order from any car dealer or supplier like this:
https://www.belmetric.com/bh12x125x3...th=506_510_411

How many are needed? Maybe I'll just order some now, ahead of time.

btw, don't buy the cheapest, there have been counterfeit fasteners out there. Buy from reputable North American or German supplier. You get what you pay for. This is a critical application.
!!!!!becarful with bolts from germany, from what i understand there grading system is diffrent the ours so as an example my grades could be off here but a lets say a grade 5 bolt from germany would be equivalent to a grade 8 bolt from north america, therfore if u tried to use an american grade 5 itll strip
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliartN
Here ya go, in Surrey BC: http://www.fullermetric.com/products...ne_thread.aspx

Go to their "Distributors" page, they list many in BC who can sell them to you over-the-counter. Boom.

For guys near Toronto, the distributor is: http://www.tryhard.net/default.aspx?Page=Home
Amazing stuff man - you are a hero. I'll let you know how this goes - if for whatever reason I am not able to buy a small quantity, I have no problems sending out extras to you and whomever needs these bolts for an aluminum after-market flywheel for their RA!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

I was able to pick up bolts in my city from a distributor of Fuller Metric (that I learned about by contacting another distributor as the one in my city wasn't listed on their website). As luck would have it, these guys happened to have many of the M12x1.25x30 hex bolts (10.9 grade) in stock so I tore over right after work and was able to get them just before closing.

I took them immediately after to the shop and they were indeed the correct bolt spec although slightly too long so we cut them down by about 4 threads and they now fit perfectly.

Thanks to Cranswick & RalliartN for the help identifying the correct bolt size and RalliartN for hunting down a distributor!

I have an 06 Ralliart lightweight flywheel from Clutchmasters and I can confirm it fits with no problems now.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

i'm still worried about clutch disc clearance, please be sure to update this thread...
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

I will get a lightweight flywheel when its time to overhaul the clutch, this is all money in the bank for me.

Yeah, check carefully upon installation, if there is still a screw head clearance problem let us know.

Rob, metric bolt strength numbers are different from Imperial (English) fasteners. That is where the confusion comes in:
Metric class 10.9 is equivalent to Imperial grade 8 strength (very strong).
Metric class 8.8 is equivalent to Imperial grade 5.
Metric class 5.8 is equivalent to Imperial grade 2.

btw, corrosion resistant bolts ("stainless steel") are typically weaker, be careful when using these in critical applications requiring Imperial grade 8 or metric 10.9 fasteners. Corrosion resistant, or CRES, is the term used instead of "stainless steel" which used to be a proprietary name; like saying "kleenex" instead of facial tissue. So if you see CRES304 it means the same as "304 stainless steel". Cranswick will read this in military/aerospace specifications.

Last edited by RalliartN; Mar 15, 2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

I have a clutchmaster flywheel I never installed on my ra. I ordered it from clutchmasters and its the same as yours. The stock flywheel bolts are 1/4" too short. I never got around to installing it before i sold my ra. I have a stock flywheel and a clutchmasters one, and the center on the clutchmasters one is 1/4" thicker. Its not bored out like the stock one. I was just going to find longer bolts, but sold my ra before i gotto install it.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

how much for the flywheel?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:01 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How much for the stock flywheel?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so I have an update and it's not good news. Because the flywheel is so thick the clutch cover hits the inside of the bell housing - not sure what I should do now... i am checking to see if my mechanic removed the shims or not... I am not even sure if the Clutchmasters flywheel came with any.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

the flywheel won't come with the shims...if the motor you picked up didn't have a flywheel on it, the shims are likely long gone...how much is it contacting? you could remove some material from the housing if it's minor contact.

on the other hand this is starting to **** me off...we know the fidanza flywheel has issues, now this....not looking good...how much R&D are these companies doing before they put this **** on the market?

Quick Reply: Help! Flywheel bolts are too short?? 06 ralliart