Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Tornado or Spiralmax

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
study

Myself having associations with AeroSpace engineers, some that specialize in fluid dynamics...note that...

In like a 30mm tube...if you put a 1 mm wide "plate" in it the effective flow rate will be cut down by over 20%!!!

Flow on a N/A is what gives you 'more power.' Also...you won't really get better gas milage because the motor will have to 'work harder' to get the same amount of air through the track and down into the cylinders.

In all...the Tornado and equiv. are hype.

Probably the best thing they do is "in the mind." They 'promise' better gas milage, so they probably have a suggestion, in that you should..."drive smooth so that the Tornado can act on the incoming air without too much interruption." Your gas milage then gets better because your letting the car's computer get into "closed loop" mode for best gas milage. Yes...a heavy foot good causes poor gas milage. This is ever so apparent on the EVO. If I hot rod around I can get the EVO down into the 20s on the highway...but if I work the go-go pedal nice and easy, I can say in the 26mpg range.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

jcnel.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the input...... Too late though... the turbonator is on it's way. We like to experiment at our shop so we know for sure what the scoop is on products........ If it works I can say to the guy I just smoked...... You've just been turbonated LOL
Old Mar 8, 2004, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guys iI jus bought two spiral maxs n had them installed in my car... To tell you the truth... I do feel the power at higher rpms.... and as for saving gasy... it werks... I go about 320 miles per tank or so... Imma go order 2 more... Oh btw... the guy's a rude jerk... just to let you know
Old Mar 8, 2004, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

I've had it on my RA for a few days now.......and it's still in test mode..... So far from what I gather is that it does pull slightly harder....as for gas.....I havn't gotten that far. I can say that there must be something to this principal of thought....because there are numerous companies making similar one's and....even if you read the principals of the new intakes you will read that they are trying to achieve the same principals as the spiral max,turbonator,tornado...etc.... of creating a vortex and less turbulance...... I don't know if it's mostly gimick....but it seems that companies are spending a lot of money advertising this concept.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 01:26 PM

Doesn't seem like get rich quick now does it? So you say its only a small diffirence? Would you recomend people buying this?
Old Mar 9, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

any chance someone with one of these could do a dyno or something to show the "improvement"...as it could just be that you think there is, when really there isn't...

Personally I'm more prone to believe the earlier posts about these just plugging up the air flow, and therefore hindering performance rather then helping...

But, if there was indepentant proof otherwise then a believer I might be made...
Old Mar 10, 2004, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

I would do a Dyno but it just costs so much... like 70 bucks.... and about recommending it, If you've got all the bolton's you can get, get this because it wont hurt you at all. I am waiting for my intake and my header to come in so i can go dyno my car then.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 06:32 PM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P.T. Barnum said it best and this is just one of the latest incarnations.

When someone can show documented numbers confirming improvements then I'll take it off the Barnum list.

Old Mar 10, 2004, 06:36 PM

If they really worked, we would all have them in our cars...
Old Mar 10, 2004, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

i'm still waiting for a dyno. what we need to do is have a bunch of members chip in a few bucks each and sponsor someone for dyno time. they buy the spiralmax or whatever. then, they take photos of it all, and post them with the dyno results. i'd be down to put 5 bucks in just to end this once and for all.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 07:35 AM

im willing to chip in if anyone is willing to put one in their car and take the time to get it dyno. Its not someones notions that prove something works... its the numbers... i'll throw in 5 bucks if it'll get me the truth.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 05:19 AM

Think of this, tho - the small piece of metal that whirls and twirls around in your intake, creating this cool 'vortex'... ...or the small fins that stick out to create this cool 'vortex'... ...depending on the model you buy - I've seen both...

...spinning off of it's mount, careening into your engine, and making metal shavings in every single orafice it can find...

I'm just not ready to take that chance. Besides - anybody see Nascar putting this in their cars? Last time I watched Nascar Garage on Speedvision, I saw them using unrestricted airflow into the intake...

My two cents.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by AznaikoN
If they really worked, we would all have them in our cars...
I know what your saying but that's not necessarily true....... I don't see everyone wrapping their header......and that's proven....just as cheap....and is just material.......just a thought
Old Mar 12, 2004, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

I've come to the conclusion that gas stays about the same.....all depends how you drive..... This is going from comparing 2 fill ups at the pump....... About the power...... I drove it in a comparison....having it off and on....... my conclusion is it does pull slightly harder...... I have no proven dyno numbers or times to back it up...... but like I said before....all of these intake companies are making their new intakes with the same principals...of creating a vortex....or a swirl to cut down on turbulance. I'm not saying that this is a miracle product or will even cut down your time......I'm just saying how it feels.......
Old Mar 23, 2004, 02:21 PM

I dont think it spins around in the intake, i believe that it is stationary and it made the air swirl around, so it wouldnt be leaving scratches in the engine.

Quick Reply: Tornado or Spiralmax