Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

head swap + tunning

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
yes it bolts up, but why would you...unless you got an MR tranny, and the axles may or may not work, and then you need to address the transfer case.

i have a feeling the transfer case would cause all sorts of headaches
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but don't "they" say, you can make the RA awd, if u swap a tcase, axles and diff(and likely rear suspension to accomodate) over from an evo or outlander?

i would assume the evo trans and tcase would fit in an ra....but then again...the evo is wider, that's why the evo subframe doesnt bolt up iin an ra for an evo engine swap right?...so wouldnt the axles be longer to accomodate them, making them not fit properly?

and then there's the issue with making any necessary mounts since the ra most likely doesnt have mounting points for the tcase...right?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that would be something good to look into get an RA axle and measure it up against an evo axle to see and i also thing the trans and tcase will mount right up just the fun of running the drive shaft.

But man if the axles work and everything would mount up reactively easy that would save a ton of money on custom axles to hold the power.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

You cant really do an awd swap to the 04 ralliart. It requires heavy modification and fab work to the rear of the car. Its hard enough on the 02 OZ Lancers and they have a little more room to work with. You'll spend more money trying to AWD your car then it will cost you to buy a real evo.

If you want my personal opinion and you very well might not. But I've built countless lancers even after owning a couple of Evo's and just keep it simple cause you will regret it if you don't. Stick to the head swap, turbo setup or straight out motor swap it. There tons of fun and thats why i continue to mess with them but the more complicated you try and make it the more of a nightmare it will become. Not to mention its also not an evo so no matter what you do.... it will never be worth a penny more then it is right this moment so everything you do has to be from the heart because no one else is gonna appreciate it after your done with it.

Have fun and good luck.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

turbocharged + LSD and you're good to go...the best part is you only need to buy a pair of slicks instead of 4.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerX-Ralliart
never said anything about what ecu he is running on his non mivec swap, http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...nals-dohc.html here is the link... never looked into i just like to look at the pictures hahaaha
I'm actually running my stock ECU for automatic transmission reasons. Considered using an unlocked 3g eclipse ecu then move up to dual ecu (3g+evo8) to run turbo but am on budget so chopped up, welded, and hand crafted my own sensor triggers instead for a total cost of $40 If you have a manual, I think the ECU swap would be alot easier although I don't know how the wiring going into the car would look like.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

^ I'm not sure if I understood any of that.

Theres a thread about running mivec off a vtech controller but honestly im not sure how effective that is as theres a great deal more to mivec function then an on/off wire. If you want mivec you need to convert to evo o9 ecu which is not too difficult. If your on an automatic then you may want to stick with your stock ECU or go with an evo 8 ECU and avoid the MiVEC all together.

And before you spend a dime, be sure to have a plan. You can make what you have pretty fast for cheap if that's allyour looking for.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think he has a evo 8 head on a 4g69 so he doesn't need a mivec switch. I think he's taking about sensors for the automatic trans
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

If your running stock block with evo 8 head then you need to tune your factory ECU or opt for a 2.0L Automatic Lancer ECU. You cat run duel ecu's, the 3g ECU is pointless, and you can't use an evo ECU.

You can put the head on the car with your stock ECU and no tune and the car WILL RUN and drive. The MiVEC will deactivated when it sees it not properly hooked up so that's not an issue and the ECU does not care if its a SOhC or dohc. You'll have some increased airflow up top that needs to be corrected via a tune and that's it.

So toss the head on and tune the stock ECU or if you can't find anyone to tune it becouse its a ralliart and requires a bench harness for tuning then convert to a Automatic Lancer ECU and tune.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Live4Redline
becouse its a ralliart and requires a bench harness for tuning
this is no longer true
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:49 PM

If your running stock block with evo 8 head then you need to tune your factory ECU or opt for a 2.0L Automatic Lancer ECU. You cat run duel ecu's, the 3g ECU is pointless, and you can't use an evo ECU.

You can put the head on the car with your stock ECU and no tune and the car WILL RUN and drive. The MiVEC will deactivated when it sees it not properly hooked up so that's not an issue and the ECU does not care if its a SOhC or dohc. You'll have some increased airflow up top that needs to be corrected via a tune and that's it.

So toss the head on and tune the stock ECU or if you can't find anyone to tune it becouse its a ralliart and requires a bench harness for tuning then convert to a Automatic Lancer ECU and tune.
My car has been running fine for quite awhile now without CELs. All I did was wire in some resistors to the MIVEC oil pump and pressure sensor wires. I mentioned dual ECUs because a ton of 3g guys have been running dual ECUs for their DOHC turbo builds. Unfortunately, the 4g ECU isn't really compatible for running side by side with the Evo ECU.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
this is no longer true
I don't consider MMC or mail in flashes a true option
unless you got anouther option that's new to me?

Originally Posted by Tsensational
My car has been running fine for quite awhile now without CELs. All I did was wire in some resistors to the MIVEC oil pump and pressure sensor wires. I mentioned dual ECUs because a ton of 3g guys have been running dual ECUs for their DOHC turbo builds. Unfortunately, the 4g ECU isn't really compatible for running side by side with the Evo ECU.
I just can't think of one reason why duel ecu's would be necessary. You can do anything you would ever want to do, with a single ECU. There are automatic evo roms available so what's the benefit of two ecus?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

unless you got anouther option that's new to me?
MMC doesn't work at all, and with UVtune Fastworks, only 04 ECU's need to be mailed in initially, from there, you can tune to your heart's content.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 04:11 AM

just can't think of one reason why duel ecu's would be necessary. You can do anything you would ever want to do, with a single ECU. There are automatic evo roms available so what's the benefit of two ecus?
First of all, I'd like to clarify that I'm in a 4g eclipse, which has a different ECU than the Ralliart 4g69, just in case it wasn't clear already.

The only auto Evo ECU I know of is for the 5 speed Evo 7 GTA and I haven't looked at the 2.0L automatic Lancer ECU so I won't comment on that. What I do know is that 3g auto ECUs are not flashable for big load maps, which is why DOHC turbo 3G autos opt for a dual ECU setup. For the 3g Eclipse, yes you can definitely run dual ECUs. Moreover, it is necessary for them to have the dual ECU setup in order to run boost. I haven't looked into it in a long while though so maybe they've began using that automatic evo rom you speak of.

The reasons for swapping evo/3g ECUs to begin with is to be able to use original 4g63 cam and crank position sensor triggers, use the correct timing belt, and run turbo maps. The reason I didn't do it is because the cost of a new wiring harness and two ECUs was way more than the cost of me crafting my own cam and crank triggers for the ECU to read. Since my car seems to be running well with this setup, I'd say that the stock ECU setup was a better choice than the ECU swaps.

As for reflash options, yes to UVtune's stuff. Seems like its the only reliable thing out there at the moment.

Last edited by Tsensational; Jul 18, 2013 at 04:58 AM.