Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Transmission Problems

Well guys. I am planning on tuboing the Ralliart very soon. I have most all the hardware already. Im missing gauges, wide band, 3bar, and the reflash. But that is besides the point right now.

At the moment my RA has the 4 speed auto transmission. And it is starting to show some age now that it has somewhere around 160,000 miles on it. Ive tried changing the fluids and things but Im thinking that its near time for a rebuild. If I do rebuild the transmission I would like to go ahead and modify the valve bodies for crisper shifts, install a higher stall torque converter, install a phantom grip or LSD, and upgrade to stronger axles. However all this is looking fairly pricey, and finding a shop around here with experience on japanese automatic transmissions that I can trust is proving difficult.

So I have also thought about finding a manual tranny and making the switch to that. But even if I did I would still run into a high price tag because I would still want to go ahead and get an LSD, stronger axles, and probably go ahead and get the Mirage LS final drive gear. Not to mention needing to find a manual ECU.

So I guess I am asking for some advice. What should I do? Where will I get the most bang for my buck? Is there anything else I should consider?

As always thank you all so much for the help!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man! If funds are there, I think the A/T to M/T conversion would be the best path but I'm not sure how much it would cost. The best thing I can think of right now is if you can get in-contact with "doncarbone" and ask him of his experience. Read up on his thread here on how he converted his 2003 OZ A/T --> 2006 Ralliart M/T:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/al...gine-swap.html

Hands-down, one of the best threads to read here on EvoM. Props to you doncarbone for this amazing feat!

Hope that helps you out a bit, brother! Take care!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Yea I am aware of everything involved in the swap. I studied it extensively a while back, and I have read Don's thread several times now. Im just hoping to get some more thoughts on the subject before I start on anything. Im really hoping to get into AutoX more. And I am thinking a manual would be more efficient than an auto in that type of situation.

IDK... lol thats why im asking for other's thoughts on it. haha
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bakuro117
Yea I am aware of everything involved in the swap. I studied it extensively a while back, and I have read Don's thread several times now. Im just hoping to get some more thoughts on the subject before I start on anything. Im really hoping to get into AutoX more. And I am thinking a manual would be more efficient than an auto in that type of situation.

IDK... lol thats why im asking for other's thoughts on it. haha
if you're going to work on the transmission, i think you should definitely go M/T!

and yeah, doncarbone's write-up is so detailed--it's amazing. and we don't need this for his thread:

...because it's full of PHOTOS!!!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What type of manifold are you going to be using.?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Family is full of welders. Im having a custom one built.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
my advice is go cost effective...wheverever that leads you...but don't ignore your heart's content...if you know what you want to do with the car, you know what needs to be done...just don't throw a pile of money at it all at once...take your time, you're still young
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

I swear I am the most indecisive person when it comes to my cars... lol

I had the thought last night (because of a dream) to finish working on the 3g Eclipse. Sell it probably to my little brother with all the turbo stuff. Find me an old base model 2g (saw a couple for sale with blown 420a motors for $500-700 bucks). Then rebuild my other 4g69 with DOHC and drop it in the 2g with an evo tranny and rear diff... hahaha idk what to do...

Im just going to try putting it out of my mind for a while. At least until I get the 3g back on the road.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bakuro117
I swear I am the most indecisive person when it comes to my cars... lol

I had the thought last night (because of a dream) to finish working on the 3g Eclipse. Sell it probably to my little brother with all the turbo stuff. Find me an old base model 2g (saw a couple for sale with blown 420a motors for $500-700 bucks). Then rebuild my other 4g69 with DOHC and drop it in the 2g with an evo tranny and rear diff... hahaha idk what to do...

Im just going to try putting it out of my mind for a while. At least until I get the 3g back on the road.

I want to do a dohc evo 9 swap I'm sure turbo the 4g69 can get to 200whp NA