Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Changing Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2004, 01:51 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Changing Tranny Fluid

I want to change my tranny oil soon (5 spd), so when I was under the car changing the engine oil, I took a look at the tranny. I'm not entire clear on which bolt is the fill plug, and where to drain the old fluid. Do I remove that black plate to drain the fluid, or is there a drainplug that I didn't see? Also, which bolt is the fill plug? I saw two next to each other - a normal looking bolt, and one that that takes either a allen key or a torx wrench (I didn't look close enough to tell).

Feel free to recommend gear oils as well. I was thinking about the BG Synchro shift that lancershop.com sells. Any info is appreciated
Old Aug 23, 2004, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it's the bolt on the front side of the tranny that doesn't appear to do anything else. Next to the clutch reservoir.

I went out and took a pic of mine

BG should be fine. I was actually thinking about putting GM Synchromesh in mine when I change it, because I had such good luck with it in my DSMs.
Attached Thumbnails Changing Tranny Fluid-fill_plug.jpg  
Old Aug 23, 2004, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend of mine was trying to change his trans fluid in an 84 Mustang. He thought he had the right bolt, but it was for his synchros (or shifting forks?). He had to take it to a shop to get it fixed. Better be dang sure its the right one.

Does it mention anything in the owner's manual? If not, might not be a bad idea to ask the maintenance guys at the dealership, or at a privately owned shop.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

I was going to look under the car, at the backside of the tranny, to see if there were any likely bolts back there (I think the one in my pic is an allen or torx bolt, which probably is NOT the fill plug, then) but the parking lot where I work is NASTY. I'd be looking for a 17mm bolt with a copper crush washer on it.

The only bolt I'd be worried about taking out (if this tranny is like a DSM's) is the one that holds the shift fork for the reverse gear. Now that I'm thinking about it, the one on a DSM is a torx bolt, so DON'T TAKE THE ONE IN THE PIC ABOVE OFF IF IT'S A TORX OR ALLEN BOLT!
Old Aug 23, 2004, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Found it. I was |<------------------>| this close. It's the one NEXT to the one in the pic above, it's a 17mm hex bolt, and it says OIL on it.

Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails Changing Tranny Fluid-fill_plug2.jpg  
Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Good work! Now, which oil do you think you'll use? I want to get mine changed also but I'm in the dark about tranny oils!
Thanks
Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Well, otter says he's planning on using BG Synchroshift, which is a good fluid. It's just not easy to find. I'm going to try GM Synchromesh, available at any GM dealer. I've also heard good things about Redline fluids, though there is some debate over MT90 or 75w90 or a mix of both.

In reality, though, just about any 75w90 will do.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:25 AM
EvoM Administrator

Awesome, thank you for the help

Last question, do I need to suck out the old fluid through the fill plug, or do I remove that black plate to drain it?
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
Awesome, thank you for the help

Last question, do I need to suck out the old fluid through the fill plug, or do I remove that black plate to drain it?
No, there should be a drain plug on it somewhere. Look for a 22 or 23mm bolt with a kind of shallow head. Either on the bottom, or very low in the side.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Click Me

Found this in the US lancer how to forum.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 08:56 PM
EvoM Administrator

Diagram was very helpful, fluid is changed no problems... almost. After I got all the new fluid in, I realized that I forgot to put the washer back on the drain plug. Grrrr. I'll watch it for a few days, if I see any leaking then I'll drain the fluid into a container and fix it.

Used the BG Synchro shift from lancershop.com (synthetic version), the stuff is awesome. Shifting has smoothed out a *lot*, and most of the clunkiness between 1st and 2nd is gone.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

how much gear lube goes in. how much should I buy..
Old Sep 4, 2004, 09:53 AM
EvoM Administrator

Capacity (according to the owner's manual) is 2.2 liters. I bought 3 liters and filled it until it started coming out the fill hole, and I have about a half-liter left.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

ALWAYS loosen the fill plug BEFORE you loosen the drain plug.. that way if it's seized or you can't get it off, you can still drive the car.. if you drain the fluid and can't get the fill plug off, you are SOL

I put Motul in mine and it shifts like a dream

-joe
Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

How Many miles should one wait before changing the tranny fluid?

Quick Reply: Changing Tranny Fluid