Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Gear Ratio

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2004, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gear Ratio

I was wondering what is involved in changing gears. The idea that spawned this was to see if it would be possible to make 60 mph attainable in 2nd gear...So not a super wide gear ratio, just a little wider to lessen the amount of shifts. That would be a scenerio for when, lets say, the RRM turbo kit is installed and you want a higher top speed in each gear...
Pros, Cons, costs, or is it even possible?
thanks guys!
Old Sep 23, 2004, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we can barely get 60 in 3rd gear now, so thats pretty aggressive. if its turbo'd, this may be a slightly diff story. still, 60 in 2nd seems a bit much. i cant back this at all, so i could be wrong.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

BLK - you can go 57-58 right now in 2nd - trust me on that!
Old Sep 23, 2004, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

The speed of 60 in second gear was just an example, the real question is about changing gears in the transmission and what would be involved, costs, ect.
and yes, we can hit nearly 60 allready which is cool, but if we could hit 61 in second, wouldn't that make our times better if we are driving a modded car?
Also, i drove my friends neon sxt....he just has a CAI in it, its slow, but second gear in that car redlines at right around 75 mph, I would never want my gears that wide...waiting to shift was like watching grass grow
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Freddie1111
BLK - you can go 57-58 right now in 2nd - trust me on that!
are you going past redline? what are our gear ratios? i saw them somewhere b4, but forget where. we need service manuals
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

The rev limiter kicks in at around 58 mph - well into the red! Its a long story...
Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone have any info about the gears? I know you can change gears in dirtbikes, i've done that a couple times, I'm just not sure if cars work the same...
Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Freddie1111
The rev limiter kicks in at around 58 mph - well into the red! Its a long story...
ahh ok. I was referencing speed just before red. With stock internals, I dont wana push the engine that far!

MitsuSkot: Sorry, i know we keep jacking your thread a bit, but at least its keeping it at the top of this list I am sure the gears CAN be changed, but not as simple as a dirtbike. i have no idea where to start, though. maybe try to PM rock to boe. they are really knowledgable and might be able to give some quick advice.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

I think the OZ and RA have the same tranny, just different gear ratios. (just a hunch)

You might be able to slap in an OZ tranny for relatively cheap. I saw an engine (OZ) on E-bay for 100 bucks.

You should be able to find the gear ratios for both cars somewhere, or just ask the dealer.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 03:13 PM
EvoM Guru

you basically just need to change the final gear set. Mitsu is notorious for using the same parts on most cars... especially when the tranny is involved. The diff/drive splines might change and the bell housing might change but the grearing is usually interchangeable. The final drive ratio gear is what you want to change. Find out the final drives on the Ralliart, Eclipse, Golants, Mirages, Lancers, etc... basically the four cyl mitsu cars with the 5 series tranny. Then once you find the higher set you'll be able to know which to look out for and try the switch.

I don't have this problem anymore... right now my ride can pull about 85mph in 2nd and 120 in 3rd.... of course i'm now driving my mustang pile around with 2.73's in the rear
That will change soon.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
we can barely get 60 in 3rd gear now
What car are you driving, my ralliart goes to atleast 80-85 in 3rd.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 01:23 AM
Evolved Member

MY car witht he PIggy went pretty close to 60 in second...
Old Sep 24, 2004, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

im over-babying. lemme try check again on the way to work
Old Sep 24, 2004, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boeturbolancer
you basically just need to change the final gear set. Mitsu is notorious for using the same parts on most cars... especially when the tranny is involved. The diff/drive splines might change and the bell housing might change but the grearing is usually interchangeable. The final drive ratio gear is what you want to change. Find out the final drives on the Ralliart, Eclipse, Golants, Mirages, Lancers, etc... basically the four cyl mitsu cars with the 5 series tranny. Then once you find the higher set you'll be able to know which to look out for and try the switch.

I don't have this problem anymore... right now my ride can pull about 85mph in 2nd and 120 in 3rd.... of course i'm now driving my mustang pile around with 2.73's in the rear
That will change soon.
Thanks Boe, very usefull info. This final gear thing is confusing me. Does anyone know where i can find some usefull literature to educate myself? Or even better, anyone want to explain how gears work in a car's transmission?

Thanks again!
Old Sep 24, 2004, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Good plain-english trany guide:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

lots of good highlevel stuff at howstuffworks.com =)

Quick Reply: Gear Ratio