Notices

Driving with fog lights on...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2004, 03:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driving with fog lights on...

I just got pulled over tonight at 2am (San Diego) by local police because I was driving with my fog lights on?!

I drive 25 miles home from work and I pull into my driveway and notice lights behind me. I get out of my car and he says on the speaker to get back in the car. When he finally walks up he asked if this is my car! I'm like, "Uh, yeah." Then he wants to know if I live in the house I just pulled up to. Again, "Uh, yeah." He said he pulled me over because I took that last corner kinda fast and saw that I had my fog lights on.

I told him that I get off work late and always drive with my fog lights on so I can see the turns better without using my high beams. He told me that I can only use the fog lights in the fog. I told him my car was 3 weeks old and I never had fog lights before and didn't realize that law because I see cars on the freeway all the time with them on.

He told me he wasn't going to write me a ticket because it was a new car and I had just got off work, but if he sees me again, he will. Good thing he didn't notice my front tinted windows!!! LOL.

Has anyone else been pulled over for having fog lights on? Seems kinds lame to me. I didn't want to seem like a smart *** and ask him why only in fog... I'm assuming it has to do with other drivers and their visability?
Old Oct 6, 2004, 04:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
he confuse your car with in EVO that is wy!!!!!!!
No fog light yep right tell him to kiss your A#$, wath is next .....................?
Old Oct 6, 2004, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

are you serious?! At night, I drive with my fog lights on all the time. I heard something about this a while ago, but I didn't think it was for real. That's messed up, dude.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

dude, i do it all the time...and ive passed several cops...no probs
Old Oct 6, 2004, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Thats horse crap, theres no law in saying that you have to have your fog lights on in the fog ONLY. But your in CA, anything goes out there.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

yea, i think you county could save some money by ditching some cops if they pull you over for fogs. it doesnt hurt other drivers visibility and it makes them more aware of you on the road. i think it makes you (and everoyne else) safer. yea, i prob would have went to jail if this happended to me caus i wouldnt have been able to stop laughing at the guy =]
Old Oct 6, 2004, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

I thought it was only illegal to drive with ONLY the fogs on (and then, only if they're yellow-not positive) which our cars can't even do. You did well to keep your cool, I would have definitely spent the night in jail again...
Old Oct 6, 2004, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
He didn't write you a ticket because he couldn't. There's nothing wrong with driving around with your fog/driving lights on.

A quick Google search for "California vehicle code" yields the CA DMV website, which had this to say:
Foglamps 24403. ( ) (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps.

(b) On a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, the foglamps authorized under this section shall be mounted on the front at a height of not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches and aimed so that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle projects higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes, for a distance of 25 feet in front of the vehicle.
And this:
Maximum Number of Lamps 24405. (a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:

(1) Headlamps.

(2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.

(3) Fog lamps.

(4) Warning lamps.

(5) Spot lamps.

(6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.

(b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp system shall be considered as one lamp.

(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any authorized emergency vehicle.

Last edited by Myszkewicz; Oct 6, 2004 at 08:03 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

I would have looked at the cop dead in his eye....thanked him for his concern and asked him kindly to REMOVE himself from my property.

Hehe
Old Oct 6, 2004, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the only thing that is illegal is to drive w/ ONLY fog lights on...
That guys just looking for a reason to mess with you driving late at night in a new, sporty car...
Old Oct 6, 2004, 08:15 AM

Hahahaha, that's such a load of BS, especially with how our foglights are mounted, they're so low to the ground, I dont see how they could affect any concoming traffic.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

ah yes.... THIS ladies and gentlemen, is how the police work in southern CA. They pull you over for some complete BS because you have a certain look to you, or your car (the cops just LOVE imports & sports/sporty cars) so they can hope to catch you on a slip up of some sort. I got pulled over before for doing "55 in a 45 zone" when I was going 47mph... I asked if he had caught me on a radar gun and if I could see it, and he spouted some BS and told me he'd let me off this time with a warning. What a load of it, because he DIDN'T have me on a gun going that speed because I wasn't. He sure was scoping out the interior of my car though...
Old Oct 6, 2004, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

I use to be a fan of fog lights , the ralli-art is my first car with fogs, cept the sentra and i never use them
Old Oct 6, 2004, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

if they're outlawing fogs, what about those BMW X3's (the SUV... it's the X3, right) with super HID's and shining right at EYE LEVEL!!!!???

MEH!!!
Old Oct 6, 2004, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the replys... I like having them on so late so I can see the turns better. I think this makes me a safer driver, especially being so late.

I'm going to print that CA code and carry it in my car in case it happens again!!!

Quick Reply: Driving with fog lights on...