Notices

throttle body bore

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2004, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throttle body bore

Hey,

I was on the essential speed website and they advertise a throttle body bore. http://www.essentialspeed.com/shop/d...d=esRalliartTB

Anyways, I know RRM offers a bored throttle body for the US LANCER, but not for the RA. Essential speed states that this alone can yeild an other 8-10whp. For $320 CAD. RRM, guys. Will you be offering this service for the RA. would this work in conjuction with the PIGGY ECU. More fuel more air...can't be a bad thing. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 7, 2004, 07:41 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I think in another thread Rock (maybe not him, someone closely tied with RRM) stated that they will do this, but for now, RRM is completely dedicated to the turbo developement. Once this turbo is done and out of the way, I hope we'll start to see other new products pop up from them.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

8-10whp? C'mon, stop thinking it's like Grand Turismo. This isn't slap and play like those H&A newbies.

If I jerry-rig a 100mm TB from a Q45, will I attain +35 WHP? If you don't believe the Q45's TB is 100mm, just search the net. They range from 90-100mm.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the deal /w RRM and the TB is that they dont require you to ship yours in first. They order some from Mitsu and bore them. When you buy one, they send you the new one, and when you install it, you ship your old one back to them. They clean it up and bore it, then sell it to someone else and take thier tock one.....and so on. THe problem is, they havnt had the spare $$ to buy the few sock TB's to do this. Not many people will send their TB in for a week or so to have this done and have the car out of action. I think thats how Essential Speed does it, too.

It shouldnt hurt the ECU. I actually think it would help. The MAF sensors that the ECU is reading comes before the TB, anyway (between the intake and the intake manifold). if it CAN suck more air, it will and the ECU will detect this and compensate.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

So w/ a throttle body bore w/ a CAI - lets just say one like the essential speed one - how much could you expect to gain from it? I know the site for them states 8-10 WHP....could this be true or complete ****e?
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

i think it will, but will it pass smog?
Old Oct 19, 2004, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

I had a throttle body bored out on my v6 dakota and it made a HUGE difference in the +3500rpm range. The engine sucked in a good way!!! I also added CAI, full exhaust and a lower thermostat and probably added 25HP to the crank.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by reTro
I had a throttle body bored out on my v6 dakota and it made a HUGE difference in the +3500rpm range. The engine sucked in a good way!!! I also added CAI, full exhaust and a lower thermostat and probably added 25HP to the crank.
Good gains to be sure, but keep in mind that Chrysler was notorious for a while for putting on TB's that were too small for the engine. My stock TB was 49mm for cryin' out loud, I went to a 60mm and my car finally quit sounding like a Hertz rent-a-special... So really it depends on what size bore the stock TB is that Mitsu threw on the RA. If it's already like 55-57 or so there's probably not much to be gained, speaking of which does anybody know the stock TB bore size?
Old Oct 19, 2004, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

i dont know, but when you look at the throttle-body it looks big. i tried to put my old intake from my eclipse to my ralliart and the pipe went inside the throttle-body, thats how big it is.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 04:07 PM
EvoM Guru

the throttlebody is 60mm. i don't see why you'd want to upgrade. thats fairly large for a 2.4 already.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

hmm, didnt know that. not too bad. could maybe go 5-10mm more, but its prob not really worth it yet. where did you find this out,anyway?
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

I had my throttle body bored out on my 97 eclipse GS, you really arent going to recognize that much of a difference unless you also port and polish the intake manifold to match the TB. And that is not something you want to do. (VERY TIME CONSUMING) Thats just my .02
Old Oct 19, 2004, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

we have MIVEC
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:27 PM
EvoM Guru

i've got service manuals and parts sheets =) ebay is great...
Old Oct 20, 2004, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKRalliArt04
I had my throttle body bored out on my 97 eclipse GS, you really arent going to recognize that much of a difference unless you also port and polish the intake manifold to match the TB. And that is not something you want to do. (VERY TIME CONSUMING) Thats just my .02
Quite right, porting/polishing the intake is a pain (voice of experience here,) and at 60mm the TB is large enough already for a 2.4L, the only reason I could see for making it bigger would be if you went forced-induction.

Quick Reply: throttle body bore