Notices

Ticketed For Tint

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2004, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea i got 20 in back and 35 in front but i haven't been bothered by the cops yet. It's just a matter of time i guess, but i don't really mind because my old car had 20 all around and it was used by my dad as a "undercover" car for work so they know me fairly well as the kid with the tint... But yea in Massachusetts 35% is the max in the front and rear window whereas the rear passenger windows can be as dark as the owner wishes...
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RalliartJP.. I will look up the laws about that for PA.. People he lives in Philly not in Chigago or anywhere else.THe laws in PA are Fugged up and are way different than in other states.I know this first hand as I came from FL and found out the hard way.
JP.. I will look those up asap and post them here.Read where these guys locations are that have posted the law as it is written.Our laws are totally different.Not trying to start a war,But laws vary state by state.in FL the tint law is not that harsh nor is it set really light.THere I believe you can have 35% but no less..They will strip your tints right on the spot and give you a ticket.I have had this happen to me in my talon.ANyways... I will post thos laws now
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Illicit.. I could use as much info a possible...I have about 7 days left to figure out what im gonna do. I am def gonna plead not guilty, as the Pa laws do not state a degree of tint. Its just specified that tint is allowed to a certain degree.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

snoop posted the limits of each state, but ive seen so many different charts with different readings. thats what im trying to figure out..everyone has there own info and none of them are really credible...and if its the cops interpretation of it, then am I supposed to have a cop with me while I get my windows tinted..if there so opposed to window tint then they should clarify a few things..
Old Oct 20, 2004, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IllicitRalliart
RalliartJP.. I will look up the laws about that for PA.. People he lives in Philly not in Chigago or anywhere else.THe laws in PA are Fugged up and are way different than in other states.I know this first hand as I came from FL and found out the hard way.
JP.. I will look those up asap and post them here.Read where these guys locations are that have posted the law as it is written.Our laws are totally different.Not trying to start a war,But laws vary state by state.in FL the tint law is not that harsh nor is it set really light.THere I believe you can have 35% but no less..They will strip your tints right on the spot and give you a ticket.I have had this happen to me in my talon.ANyways... I will post thos laws now
Sir, I already posted the link from PennDot.

Here's a link from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation that has their window tinting restrictions on it. Penndot Fact Sheet - Vehicle Sun Screening
Old Oct 20, 2004, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

IS SAFETY WINDOW FILM WITH TRANSMITTANCE LESS THAN 70% LEGAL IN PENNSYLVANIA?
Here's a quick reference chart that shows the various arguments about whether tint below 70% is legal in Pennsylvania.

It's up to you to decide whether we are ruled by Statutes, Laws, Federal Safety Standards, and State Inspection Regulations, on the one hand, or by Safety Bulletins, Newspaper Articles, and New Table Xs on the other.

YES
These are the LAWs that say such tinting is legal.
NO
These are the apparent 'authorities' cited by some PA Police that tint less than 70% is illegal.

TITLE 75 of PA STATUTES - 4524 (e)(1) - This is the LAW passed by our legislators and it does NOT prohibit tint unless it "does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle." SAFETY BULLETIN - This was sent to Inspection Stations years ago. It has lots of capital letters and asterisks and makes safety recommendations.
PA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE TITLE 67 - CHAPTER 175.67 (d)(4) - These rules and regulations were written to clarify the laws. The PA Code only prohibits tint "unless otherwise permitted by FMVSS No. 205." OCT 1996 - Another SAFETY BULLETIN for Inspections Stations to share with their customers. It includes a new TABLE X.
A Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, FMVSS No. 205 clearly permits tint below 70%. Read it! After all, most States require conformance with FMVSS205, but still permit tinting as low as 25%. The neat New TABLE X included with the above Safety Bulletin. Don't get it confused with the original Table X that is part of the Inspection Requirements.
In either case The PA CODE (see d 4) specifically excludes any tint "permitted by FMVSS No. 205" from the requirements of Table X.
PA INSPECTION REGULATIONS - PA Inspection Regulation do not prohibit tint below 70%. Inspection Station cannot reject a vehicle with legal tint. The PA Bulletin is a legal newspaper. Here they discuss various recent changes to the PA CODE, none of which prohibit tint permitted by FMVSS205.
Most of the other States explicitly allow transmittances as low as 25%, yet still require conformance with FMVSS205. Certainly they aren't ALL wrong in their interpretation of FMVSS205. Who needs all the laws and regulations on the left anyway? Some officers just "enforce Table X," although it's not clear which Table X they're refering to.

Since all the PA Statutes or Regulations permit tinting below 70%, then it IS NOT ILLEGAL.
Even the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, speaking on behalf of the Secretary of Transportation, agrees that nothing in the PA STATUTE, the PA CODE, or the INSPECTION REGULATIONS prohibits tint, but that it is only . . .
"... the Department's interpretation that FMVSS 205...only allows window tinting that permits 70% or more light to transmit through the window."

that was found here..

http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/

Another...A table.. I have no idea who worte this

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm

THere are several variations on the law.. My advice is do a google search or go to the library.Libraries always have law books.By law they have to.At anyrate.. Find out what you need to know and go from there.Hope what few I have posted are helpful.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

i got a ticket in daytona for my tint.. he said like 35 front and 15 back.. haha tint checked it.. and it was like 10 in the front and 4 in the back. haha! he was like.. wow thats a lil too dark.. i just started laughin. $78.. he always ragged on my blacked out taillights.. my stock mitsubishi brake light cover. said my magnaflow catback exhaust was illegal.. all sorts of ****.. i was like yea whatever buddy. let me go now..
Old Oct 20, 2004, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Not to be a post ***** or anything but did he use a meter.. aka Tint buster? A meter that is put on your window that has a sensor on the back of it.So when they shine light in it gives a reading to the sensor.If so it has to be a STATE Approved one... Click the first link and read that whole page.THe information provided there is actually quite interesting.The ORigional Table X was written by PA legislature.THe one the cops like to quote from was written by the inspection stations who dont like dealing with checking tint out.most will write it off and others will try to deny your car which is ILLLEGAL BY LAW FOR THEM TO DO.Anywyas.. Do you homework,copy these pages and the laws and take it to court.You will win as long as you have all written laws on it with you.If your windows were scanned and really are 16 % then they are Illegal... Just rplace them with something a little lighter.. as long as its more than 35%.. that is the national limit.
I am done now.. leave it to me to find all the legal loopholes..I should have been a lawyer.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by naucrx
Sir, I already posted the link from PennDot.
I AM A CHICK!!! Jeez I hate it when people do that.. Sorry I know you didnt know any better,But I have gotten Sir this and sir that and Dude and man and all kinds of replies like that all week.I dont soud or look like a guy,please dont adress me as one.Sorry.. Its just driving me insane.. .I will be nice now.

JP... LIke I said.Look it up.. look at those pages and the one from Penndot.. They all say the same and none of them really specify what the limit is Except for the National Code Z-76 that was on that first page I gave you.They also provide links on thier page for where they got thier laws which would be out of a law book.The public library has All the law books for the state old and new.Read those and make copies,Copy the tables and all.The origional Table X is the state law.The other isnt and was just printed to eliminate the hassle for inspection stations.. I work at a dealership and have seen both.I also had a cop bring a lady in for her tints and I showed him the Origional table and he let her go because he could not attest to it.According to the law there is no Limit as lond as it is no less than 35 % which is the national law.Good luck JP... PM me if you want my # and I will try to help you out further.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

I AM A CHICK!!! Jeez I hate it when people do that.. Sorry I know you didnt know any better,But I have gotten Sir this and sir that and Dude and man and all kinds of replies like that all week.I dont soud or look like a guy,please dont adress me as one.Sorry.. Its just driving me insane.. .I will be nice now.

Ya know, "dude" is nearly a unisex term now. A lot of my fem friends call each other dude, or man, but um... not sir. lol. ok ok enough
Old Oct 20, 2004, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

35% is the limit here in Oregon I thought that was bad... AZ and other states let you go down to 20% and really don't care if you go lower than that my Step sister lives down there and has Limo tint (2-3%) and cops don't bother her about it..
Old Oct 20, 2004, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Turbo... I went back on topic after my spaz... lol..
Old Oct 20, 2004, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Whoaa, simma! I didn't mean to upset you.

If it really bothers you that much you might want to put your name in your sig to reduce the "dude," "sir," and "man" references.

Old Oct 20, 2004, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sentinal
35% is the limit here in Oregon I thought that was bad... AZ and other states let you go down to 20% and really don't care if you go lower than that my Step sister lives down there and has Limo tint (2-3%) and cops don't bother her about it..
The legal limit in AZ is 33%. I have had 10% on my car windows before and I have never been bothered by a local cop. I have 20% tint right now because the 10 was way too dark at night. If I ever get pulled over for it, I'll just tear off the 20 and put the 33 on, or pay the fine, whichever is cheaper.

It is really a hit or miss thing. Some people get lucky and never get stopped, some are unlucky and get stopped every other month...
Old Oct 20, 2004, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sillypuddy
if the cop can't see how many people are in the car, if he cant' determine if you are going to pull out a gun or other weapon out of the glove box and pop him one, if he can't get a clear view of your face / hands, then it's too dark and he can tell the judge that he feels his life would be in danger and your ticket will stand..

that's what's meant by "interpetation", some cars with dark tint still allow enough light in to let them see you, some cars with lighter tint are like pitch black.. so it's not as simple as a certain tint level

at least that's how it is in ontario

-joe
This is probably the biggest reason why it will be very hard winning this war in court. We always look at the situation from our point of view saying, "Why is this cop F'in with me, I'm not hurting anyone with my tint." We rarely look at it from there side. Every time they pull someone over they never know what may happen. They could lose their life. Not being able to see anything going on in a car must really make them nervous. My hat goes off to every cop out there, cuz you guys are doing something that most people wont and can't do.

I tell you what JP. If that cop plays the "Can't see what's going on" card you might as well hang it up, cuz you are going to lose. Don't take me as being an ***, I'm just tryin to be real.