Notices

Ticketed For Tint

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2004, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont understand how everyone seems to get caught with tinted windows...I've had 5% all around on my 97 GSX since two days after it rolled off of the lot and I've never been bothered once about them, even when I was pulled over for speeding etc... But of course, you cant complain if you get caught with them, everyone knows they are illegal and probably for a good reason. My philosophy is simple, I just roll down my windows when I get pulled over so the officer can see me in the car without problem.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sillypuddy
why do people still do that? "get a shade darker than legal"

do you always just break the law a little bit? just stay legal and be done with it

it's people that think this way that ruin the scene for EVERYBODY.. making all young import drivers look like "rebels" "troublemakers"

-joe
Dude, it has nothing to do with being a rebel or troublemaker. Here in Ohio the legal limit is 50% on every window. If you've ever seen 50% it's next to nothing on the window. I went a shade darker (32%) knowing it's against the law. But I went a shade darker because I figure there will be less chance of being harrassed and ticketed for it. Now if I do get ticketed I'll take the ticket, cuz I know I was wrong in the first place.

I'm a 27 year old man with a wife (well ex-wife now), a kid, and a house. I don't consider myself a young rebel anymore. And breaking a law here and there don't make me one either. Question for you, since you wanna pigeon hole all of us so called rebels, do you make sure you stay under the speed limit at all times when driving? Because it's actually a speed LIMIT. If you do the limit all the time and not under that would be considered pushing the limit, and isn't that what being a rebel is all about; pushing the limits. lol

See, making silly comments is a two way street. I can play that game too. lol
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Shingen
Plus legal tint isn't anything. I got more of a tint from frosted glass on cold mornings then what the tint shop was offering as legal tint.

Fox
lol, exactly.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigdoggy_dog
Dude, it has nothing to do with being a rebel or troublemaker. Here in Ohio the legal limit is 50% on every window. If you've ever seen 50% it's next to nothing on the window. I went a shade darker (32%) knowing it's against the law. But I went a shade darker because I figure there will be less chance of being harrassed and ticketed for it. Now if I do get ticketed I'll take the ticket, cuz I know I was wrong in the first place.

I'm a 27 year old man with a wife (well ex-wife now), a kid, and a house. I don't consider myself a young rebel anymore. And breaking a law here and there don't make me one either. Question for you, since you wanna pigeon hole all of us so called rebels, do you make sure you stay under the speed limit at all times when driving? Because it's actually a speed LIMIT. If you do the limit all the time and not under that would be considered pushing the limit, and isn't that what being a rebel is all about; pushing the limits. lol

See, making silly comments is a two way street. I can play that game too. lol
the difference between you and the others is that you know you weren't legal and would take the ticket.. i would do the same about my speeding.. i know i broke the law, so i won't go and call police names and cuss them out

the young rebel types are those who do break the law and don't take responsiblity for it, but rather blame the world for their troubles

-joe
Old Oct 24, 2004, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

The tint numbers go differant ways in differant states. In KY 80% is really really dark but in CA it is the same as 20%. When the cop said 30% was legal he may have ment 70%. If that makes any sense...
Old Oct 25, 2004, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sillypuddy
murders and cop killings happen not just in high crime areas.. it's a big misconception that really bugs me

if you go out and tint your window, and you are unclear on the law, instead of ignoring it and then ***** about it when you get caught, why don't you actually go and do something about it

either get them to clarify it or don't do the tint.. it's very simple

if enough people complain about the vagueness, they will have to fix the law

a cop only has two hands, and the time spent shining that big azz (your words) light into your car could mean that he has less time to react if you were some gang banger

-joe
Again.. Not to start a flame war but MAYBE IN ONTARIO CANADA the Cops dont have spotlights on thier cars.. HERE IN THE US THEY DO.. In PA the Cops have a big bright azz spotlight attached to thier car so that they CAN see in a car before they even get out. Also yes I agree murders and cop killinigs happen elsewhere.. But the MAJORITY of them happen in high Crime areas...I dont know how things work in Canada,but here if you want to change a law you must have a congress man write a bill and once that is done it can take anywhere from a few months to a few years for a bill to become a law.So complaining about a law here isnt easy.THey will get the complaints of the vagueness of a particular law and just sit on it for a while.Our congressmen and women have bigger issues at hand than some little tint law.. that is why the US law on tints is set at 35%.. The state of pa basically says that thier law is whatever the US law is for tints.

Oh and FYI.. Gangs arent the only ones killing cops and people here in the US.. Its general idiots who need $$ and dont want to work or cant work because of some Fugged up situation(IE-Layed off,Past criminal history,etc.)and end up getting caught by either some randome person or a cop.Not saying they are in the right.. Just filling you in on how things really are in the US.Gangs actually lay pretty low over here and the only thing they really get in trouble for anymore is Drugs.. Yes tho they may kill someone of drug territory.. This again is generally in a high crime area.. So my point is, IT IS THE MAJORITY OF KILLINGS AND COPS SHOOTINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THE HIGH CRIME AREAS ASN GANGS ARENT THE ONLY ONES TO BLAME!!

Yes there are some stupid reasons related to criminals and why they behave the way they do.. but here if you have a criminal record(and quite a few people here do due to past mistakes they made when they were young),You cant get a job easily,none the less go to college.So even if they want to straighten out they cant because we limit what criminals are allowed to do.Colleges wont accept criminals,nor will employers..Plain and simple.Thus making laws here,especially those related to tint, a little different from state to state.It all depends on your states Crime percentage really.Here in Pa we have been know to have a high crime rate.However the crime rate has dropped,the laws are still there,and when a law is vague like the tint law,It is based on what the national law says to go by.Example.. National tint law is 35%.. It was set at 35% for a reason.. That is still visible in when they shine thier spotlight on your car therefore,They can see what you are doing.. bottomline.

BACK ON TOPIC
Old Oct 25, 2004, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Not to blow your 4000 word paragraph...but the tint laws are state laws...The federal government has little to do with the tint laws.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Obviously someone didnt read the PENN DOT pages that were posted several times in here... In PA it is basically whatever the federal law set it at.. The federal law is at 35%.. Yes some states have lower tint..Thats them.. Not PA.. like I saod before PA is one seriously messed up state.there are some laws here that make absolutely no sense.

I see where you are coming from but there is a federal law on tints weather you know it/like it or not.Scroll thru and click on the links posted by people who looked it up.States just set their own tint laws IF they feel the Federal law is too easy going.The government has alot more to do with laws that have been set by states wheather or not you know it.I had learned this from Government class in High school.. And no it wasnt a general Government BS.. I was in AP classes taking a College government course as well as other College level classes.Just going on what I was taught.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 03:37 AM
Evolved Member

You gonna come back down off that soap box now? lol
Old Oct 26, 2004, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

if you don't tint you window you won't have that problem to begin with

i really don't see why people tint their windows anyway

if it's for UV protection, you can get UV tint that is clear, so no hassles

if it's for anti-theft, then you are drawing more attention by saying "i have something to hide"

if it's for privacy, you scare people see you digging your nose? (joking)

-joe
Old Oct 26, 2004, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

People do it because it looks cool. That's the only reason!
Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

That should settle... Some people like the way it looks... Looks sometimes outwiegh legality for some people!!!
Old Oct 27, 2004, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Had 20% tint on my Eclipse here in Indy with 0 po po problems. Gonna get 20% again on the Lancer and don't expect any problems (law is 30%). The only time I see someone get a ticket for tint is because they were pulled over for something else to begin with (speeding, etc.).
My advice- If you want darker tint than your state law allows, don't give the cops a reason to pull you over and they will likely leave you alone (other than speeding, etc.). If you do get pulled over with illegal tint, roll down your windows before the cop even gets out of the car. This will make him/her less nervous walking up to you (we don't want nervous cops....nervous cops tend to get mad). If it is night, turn on the dome light inside the car, as this makes it easier to see what is going on inside.
Just my opinion.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bigdoggy_dog
You gonna come back down off that soap box now? lol
.. I dunno I kinda been on it so long that I kinda like the veiw from up here.. .. I guess I could share it though... .. lol
Old Oct 27, 2004, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

lol