Notices

Ticketed For Tint

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2004, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticketed For Tint

So today im driving with my friend on the way to get tanks filled for paintball..I get pulled over by a cop and he tells me he pulled me over cause of my tint. So im just like its whatever im not gonna argue with him..they are illegal..So he tells me that the legal limit is 70% and i had 16%..And im thinking there's no way its 70% cause most factory cars come with about 35% . So I ask him and he says its been that was since 1984 or some bs. Ticket was for 105. Not sure what im gonna do about it.. My friends say that you get the ticket and you dont have to take the tint off. You just might get another ticket. And im thnkng there def gonna check up on it. Cause otherwise the ticket is just useless.. Anyway know whats up with the laws and how to go about this? Safer to just plead guilty and deal with it.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

I got ticketed here for the tint on my last car (2002 cav). I had 35% fronts, 15% rear. Btw...he was right in saying that most cars have 70%...35 is pretty dark to look like stock. Anyways, mine was for 75 bucks. I didn't send it in, took it to court, and got it reduced to 50 bucks. I'm not sure what the laws are like in your area, but here, if you just pay it and leave your tint on, and then get caught again, it's treated as a misdemeanor (fine is raised higher).

Just wait until court, and then deal with it there. You'll save money at the very least. Who knows, you might be able to get it thrown out. I'm with you though, tint laws suck. Too bad that a couple thugs with tinted windows who shot some cops ruined it for everyone.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliartJP
So he tells me that the legal limit is 70% and i had 16%..And im thinking there's no way its 70% cause most factory cars come with about 35% . So I ask him and he says its been that was since 1984 or some bs.

Anyway know whats up with the laws and how to go about this?
§ 175.263.
Sun screening location.

(a) Windshields, side windows and side wings. A person may not operate, on a highway, a motor vehicle with a front windshield, side window or side wing that has been equipped with a sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle. This subchapter does not prohibit the use of products or materials along the top edge of the windshield if the products or materials are transparent and do not encroach upon the AS-1 portion of the windshield as provided by FMVSS No. 205 and if the devices or materials are not more than 3 inches from the top of the windshield.

(b) Rear window. The rear window on a motor vehicle may be treated by the vehicle owner with a sun screening device or other material. If the rear window is treated with a sun screening device or other material, the vehicle shall comply with § 175.264 (relating to mirrors). See Table X for specific requirements for vehicles subject to this subchapter.
and
§ 175.265. Exemption provisions.

(a) Exempt vehicles. The following vehicles are exempt from § 175.263 (relating to sun screening location):

(1) A hearse, ambulance or government vehicle.

(2) A vehicle for which a certificate of exemption has been issued by the Department under subsection (b).

(b) Certificate of exemption. The Department will issue a certificate of exemption from § 175.263 for the following vehicles:

(1) A vehicle which was registered in this Commonwealth as of September 8, 1984, and was equipped with a prohibited sun screening device or other prohibited material prior to September 9, 1984.
And, finally,

Pennsylvania has adopted FMVSS 205 as it relates to commercial installers and individual vehicle owners. 67 Pa. Code §175.261. It is the Department’s interpretation that FMVSS 205, which incorporates by reference the standards set forth in Items 1 through 11B in ANS Z-26, only allows window tinting that permits 70% or more light to transmit through the window.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Ohio's legal limit is 55%. You're right that some factory tint is 35%, but that is only on the rear windows. and that's usually on SUV's and trucks. That legal limit is set for the front windows. It's set that way for safety reasons. So you can see out your damn car without obstructions. If you already knew you had illegal tint why are you complaining about getting a ticket? I know what the legal limit is here and I still got 32% all around on my car (55% is a waste of money). If I get a ticket I'll accept it cuz I know I'm wrong. But I still tried not to go too dark, just to help keep cops from harrassing me on GP. The further you get away from the legal limit the more you increase the chances of getting a ticket.

As far as you saying that a ticket is useless, I don't get why you think that. Unless you are rich, if you get enough tickets at some point you will decide that it's better to just take it off. It all depends on what your spending limit is. The more tickets you get the more you help fund that towns police force.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 09:22 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
For a quick, easy to read table on all states' tint laws, go here -> http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

Post aboves delves a little deeper into PA's rather rediculous tint laws.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Unless you are rich, if you get enough tickets at some point you will decide that it's better to just take it off.
They will keep track of these tickets as well, and (depending on the officer's discretion) it will escalate to more severe penalties.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Guy who did my tint said most trucks/suv's come with 20% tint on rear and rear sides. I believe it cuz the explorer that my mom used to have and the F150 my dad has now has really dark, almost reflective windows that are almost impossible to see thru unless close up.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Deltarider99
They will keep track of these tickets as well, and (depending on the officer's discretion) it will escalate to more severe penalties.
Good point.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Ok. So let me get this straight. Tintdude.com says that PA its 70% all around. But some ppl are saying that the back windows are fine. Its just the front windows that should be no less than 70%. So my question is.. Should I just get the front one's redone, or am I still gonna get hassled for the back windows ( meaning back 2 passenger windows and the back windshield ) I know if I just get the front ones done and leave the back the way they are that its still illegal, but cops wont really care most of the time.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

In Illinois, they could care less about the rears, and only care about the fronts. I think that anywhere (despite what the laws state), they'll give you more grief about the front windows than the rears.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

sorry to hear it, wa has a law of 35%
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

There are a lot of factors that attribute to how much you will get hassled. For instance, you live in Philly. A Philly cop will be less inclined to bother with you over something as silly as tint, where as if you are out on the Main Line they have nothing better to do. 16% all around is pretty dark, and if you look like you are a young punk driving a sporty racing car you will be more of a target of cops. Yes, lightening up the front windows will help. I personally like all my windows to be the same around. So maybe you could lighten them all up. But how your car looks and sounds also contributes to how much police attention it will get.

Just remember: A "Sleeper" car does a lot more than just allow you to beat cars that think you are weak. It also helps you blend in with the rest of the crowd when cops are around.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

On this website it says that FMVSS205, which is the code for window tint in PA, doesnt give a degree of what is legal and what is not.
It states Even PENNDOT admits that no PA Statute prohibits tint permitted by FMVSS205, but they claim that it is "... the Department's interpretation that the FMVSS205 prohibits tint below 70%."
This what im looking at.
http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/fmvss205.html

Im not starting this thread to complain about my ticket. The ticket is whatever. Im trying to figure out what is legal and what isnt. Somewhere on that website it says something about 25-30 being of the legal limit. Im always hearing different things about tint that isnt true and im just trying to clear things up..
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:45 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The state can enforce their "interpretation" until someone either cites precedence, or successfully challenges their interpretation.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

I might have to step up to the plate then.