Notices

CAI brand difference rant.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2004, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the topless one of course. i love a man with muscles. eeerrrrrrAAAAAHHHHHH!
Old Oct 24, 2004, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

dude, i know. most threads with points just turn into flame fests. sad, but that is the internet. on a bright note, the comments often get freaking funny.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sillypuddy
personally i think that BOTH ingen and aem are overcharging for a piece of pipe with a filter at the end

if they charge, let's say $150 for their intakes, they would sell a lot more

but over the years they got greed and keep increasing their price

when an "ebay special" cai gets 80% of the gains for $39.95 and you can replace that **** azz filter with a k&n and still stay under $100, you are golden

-joe
agreed 100%. its the name we're paying more for. though i've heard some horror stories about ebay intakes rusting bad, not to mention fitment issues (i had an SRI from ebay way back when... didn't fit at all).

if you have access to a good machine shop (and design software if possible), you could probably make one for a lot less. there are a few guys who do that now, with strut bars and such, and i've heard good things about their products.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

So far I've had no problems with my injen and a nice plus was the powder coated black finish on mine I hate chrome or polished, too much bling for me lol

Guys please don't go out and buy these intakes you see on EBAY they are 99.9% garbage. Unless you like zip ties in the engine bay

Best idea for a home made intake would be some kind of a stock air box mod though.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 04:08 PM

Cool

personally i think that BOTH ingen and aem are overcharging for a piece of pipe with a filter at the end

if they charge, let's say $150 for their intakes, they would sell a lot more

but over the years they got greed and keep increasing their price

when an "ebay special" cai gets 80% of the gains for $39.95 and you can replace that **** azz filter with a k&n and still stay under $100, you are golden

-joe
I totally 3rd that. This BS w/paying out almost/actually $300 for mandrel bent pretty piping and an O.K. foam filter is just gotta stop eventually. Ebay is NOT the place for guarateed goods...but its the performance we're going for...not the look. Buy an off-brand and get a good filter. AEM and INJEN both say theirs is better cause its "tuned"...but...if its a 2 3/4" or 3" piece of bent pipe...then where's the difference if you buy an off-Brand piece of bent 3" pipe? Their both good producers of good application specific parts, however their prices are completely insulting. just my oppinion, I could be wrong.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

You all miss the point about price, it's about the Research and development that make the cost's go way up, sorry but your all mostly crying about different materials not about the dyno time and changing out of intake on one car possibly 100's of time's to make the intake give as much performance as possible threw more of the RPM's, changing runner lengths and MAF position and to still make it fit and perform with top numbers. In the end you have to pay for R&D plain and simlple.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

I personally like the one in the green shorts. HOT. plus he looks tuff, like he just got shot in the gut while strollin through the hood.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ralliart@PDX
You all miss the point about price, it's about the Research and development that make the cost's go way up, sorry but your all mostly crying about different materials not about the dyno time and changing out of intake on one car possibly 100's of time's to make the intake give as much performance as possible threw more of the RPM's, changing runner lengths and MAF position and to still make it fit and perform with top numbers. In the end you have to pay for R&D plain and simlple.
i wonder if each individual design is patented, cuz if its not, i should model up replicas in solidworks and get some quotes from our machine shop. i know its more than just a bent piece of tubing, but i'd be welling to bet that for aem and injen you'll pay more because they are both good companies, with name notoriety.

i'd really like to try to design a few parts for my car. having access to the right software (solidworks, cosmosworks and flowworks) and a close tie to a machine shop... cool thing too is, a lot of the machine shop guys are big into drag racing. a couple even built custom from the ground up. OH! speaking of custom design, check out www.v8bike.com good example of some of the engineering these guys do.

Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by purecoda
you keep missing the point bro. i'm not pro either. i looked at both and only went aem because the flat silver looked better in the engine bay IMO. and no, i don't know you, and i don't know your cars, and i don't care to know. the stupid comments started on your end. first thing you said was aem intakes suck, with the only logical reasoning because they made MORE power on the dyno, according to the difference between your numbers, and the numbers given in the ralliart aem thread.

and rice man. that's completely subjective. i just didn't even know why you threw that in there, other than to bash aem again for no reason. that's my point man. a opinion with some worth and basis would be something like "between aem and injen quality, i'd lean more towards aem". why? do a search, and you'll find posts about how then injen cai brace snapped off on several peoples car. hell, maybe it did with aem too, but i'm not some flamer that just goes "injen blows!"

speaking of subjective, its completely up to you to like chrome man. i know these guys do:

That's pretty funny actually. I'm going to retract my statement about AEM being rice. I'd be lying if i said i wasn't one of the first to pick up their CAI when it came out. They did pioneer the CAI, and that is the reason I'm pulling back on my statement. I still prefer injen though. just an opinion though, we'll end it at that. Either way, when RRM drops the turbo, the CAI's are done.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by purecoda
you keep missing the point bro. i'm not pro either. i looked at both and only went aem because the flat silver looked better in the engine bay IMO. and no, i don't know you, and i don't know your cars, and i don't care to know. the stupid comments started on your end. first thing you said was aem intakes suck, with the only logical reasoning because they made MORE power on the dyno, according to the difference between your numbers, and the numbers given in the ralliart aem thread.

and rice man. that's completely subjective. i just didn't even know why you threw that in there, other than to bash aem again for no reason. that's my point man. a opinion with some worth and basis would be something like "between aem and injen quality, i'd lean more towards aem". why? do a search, and you'll find posts about how then injen cai brace snapped off on several peoples car. hell, maybe it did with aem too, but i'm not some flamer that just goes "injen blows!"

speaking of subjective, its completely up to you to like chrome man. i know these guys do:

Who are these pu$$ies anyway?
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheDriver11421
Who are these pu$$ies anyway?
um.... Eminem wannabe's?
Old Oct 25, 2004, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

You guy's where seriously just playin' when you took that pic right?. I see the classic neeper wheel deal wheels, like i was wanting chome wheels but these are cheap enough to get now kinda deal wheel because everyone has them.

Last edited by Ralliart@PDX; Oct 25, 2004 at 06:29 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

you really belive they spend all that R&D time on the dyno?

they just make 5-10 designs, slap it on the car on the dyno and then pick one

they are still making a killing on the price..

i had brought two intakes off ebay and neither one rusted.. they filter was toss on the first day and if you look at the design, they are a complete knock off copy of the aem..

-joe
Old Oct 25, 2004, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

you really belive they spend all that R&D time on the dyno?

they just make 5-10 designs, slap it on the car on the dyno and then pick one

they are still making a killing on the price..

i had brought two intakes off ebay and neither one rusted.. they filter was toss on the first day and if you look at the design, they are a complete knock off copy of the aem..

-joe
I'd love to see pictures of your ebay intakes.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

one was sold with the 99 accord i traded in for my RA

the other one is on my sister's car

both of them were, i would say, 7 out of 10 in terms of fit and finish and quality, but it was <$150 CAD for both of them

now i get intakes locally when the shops import them from taiwan direct

-joe

Quick Reply: CAI brand difference rant.