Notices

CAI brand difference rant.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry CAI brand difference rant.

this rant was inspired by some of the posts in the aem cai ralliart dyno results thread, and various other cai threads over the years (noobs make a million of them). i've heard quite a few people putting aem down for a while now, saying they can't be trusted, that their numbers are grossly inflated, and other whimsical crap. let's have the numbers spell it out:

injen numbers:

celica gts
hp = 163.0 tq = 118.2 stock
hp = 173.9 tq = 122.2 cai
% = 6.7 % = 3.4

se-r spec v
hp = 143.9 tq = 156.5 stock
hp = 149.6 tq = 159.0 cai
% = 4.0 % = 1.6

eclipse
hp = 180.7 tq = 177.3 stock
hp = 187.3 tq = 181.5 cai
% = 3.6 % = 2.4

avg hp increase = 4.8%
avg tq increase = 2.5%

aem:

celica gts
hp = 154.8 tq = 114.1 stock
hp = 164.4 tq = 122.1 cai
% = 6.2 % = 7.0

se-r spec-v
hp = 143.5 tq = 150.9 stock
hp = 150.9 tq = 161.3 cai
% = 5.1 % = 6.9

eclipse
hp = 163.6 tq = 177.0 stock
hp = 168.9 tq = 183.6 cai
% = 3.2 % = 3.7

avg hp increase = 4.8%
avg tq increase = 5.9%

those cars were selected at random from injen and aem dynos (in which both cars, same year and model, where available). take a couple minutes to read and process them. notice anything?
1. aem's base dyno numbers are lower.
2. even after an aem cai install the numbers are STILL lower than injen's final numbers (note celica gts and eclipse).
3. the percentage gains between manufacturers is the same for horsepower, but better tq gains from aem (but still lower total dyno numbers).

what can you conclude from this? personally, i believe the numbers as far as percentage gains are concerned, and i believe BOTH injen AND aem. and it looks like in most applications, aem is better. and what are people smoking when they say aem is higher priced (see the thread referred to above)?! they are both about the same price, but the first website i found with both has the injen for 20 bucks more AND a higher MSRP!
http://www.300zxstore.com/lancer.html

and rice... dang. if anything, i would say injen is borderline rice, not aem, no way. hell, just by names alone, injen sounds like a rice name! and i believe its INJEN that has a pretty good selection of HIGHLY POLISHED parts... um... *cough* RICE! *cough* and if you feel up to it, look into the history of aem. research how much design work and testing and evalution goes into every one of their products. injen does the same i'm sure (and then puts a nice shiny finish on the part).

why people keep trying to sell opinions as fact is beyond me. what does either company have to gain from lying about its dyno testing? don't you think they'd get found out soon enough and get a bad name that they couldn't shake? that's probably half the reason RRM doesn't post dyno results for stuff like this. its way too subjective at such low percentage gains, where if its off by 1-2%, that makes it as much as 60% off its claimed improvement! as a smaller company, they don't want to deal with the chance of idiots whining about it, when it likely wouldn't even be their fault (not to mention the different dyno machines and environmental influences).

some people love aem. some love injen. some love rrm. hell, some love apc and obx. just be smart before you buy. take all these opinions with a grain of salt and look for something more substantial.

aem and injen

idiots who just like to talk crap
Old Oct 23, 2004, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by purecoda
this rant was inspired by some of the posts in the aem cai ralliart dyno results thread, and various other cai threads over the years (noobs make a million of them). i've heard quite a few people putting aem down for a while now, saying they can't be trusted, that their numbers are grossly inflated, and other whimsical crap. let's have the numbers spell it out:

injen numbers:

celica gts
% = 6.7 % = 3.4

se-r spec v
% = 4.0 % = 1.6

eclipse
% = 3.6 % = 2.4

avg hp increase = 4.8%
avg tq increase = 2.5%

aem:

celica gts
% = 6.2 % = 7.0

se-r spec-v
% = 5.1 % = 6.9

eclipse
% = 3.2 % = 3.7

avg hp increase = 4.8%
avg tq increase = 5.9%

those cars were selected at random from injen and aem dynos (in which both cars, same year and model, where available). take a couple minutes to read and process them. notice anything?
2. even after an aem cai install the numbers are STILL lower than injen's final numbers (note celica gts and eclipse).
3. the percentage gains between manufacturers is the same for horsepower, but better tq gains from aem (but still lower total dyno numbers).

what can you conclude from this? personally, i believe the numbers as far as percentage gains are concerned, and i believe BOTH injen AND aem. and it looks like in most applications, aem is better. and what are people smoking when they say aem is higher priced (see the thread referred to above)?! they are both about the same price, but the first website i found with both has the injen for 20 bucks more AND a higher MSRP!

and rice... dang. if anything, i would say injen is borderline rice, not aem, no way. hell, just by names alone, injen sounds like a rice name! and i believe its INJEN that has a pretty good selection of HIGHLY POLISHED parts... um... *cough* RICE! *cough* and if you feel up to it, look into the history of aem. research how much design work and testing and evalution goes into every one of their products. injen does the same i'm sure (and then puts a nice shiny finish on the part).

why people keep trying to sell opinions as fact is beyond me. what does either company have to gain from lying about its dyno testing? don't you think they'd get found out soon enough and get a bad name that they couldn't shake? that's probably half the reason RRM doesn't post dyno results for stuff like this. its way too subjective at such low percentage gains, where if its off by 1-2%, that makes it as much as 60% off its claimed improvement! as a smaller company, they don't want to deal with the chance of idiots whining about it, when it likely wouldn't even be their fault (not to mention the different dyno machines and environmental influences).

some people love aem. some love injen. some love rrm. hell, some love apc and obx. just be smart before you buy. take all these opinions with a grain of salt and look for something more substantial.

aem and injen

idiots who like to talk crap?? Damn, you took it to another level didn't you? Just giving info based on personal experiences holmes. get a life.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

nope. you took it there, and i took it back down with numbers and reason.
and personal experience being what? butt dyno?

i wasn't trying to blast you out of the water, you just happened to be the final straw. too many people shell out unwarranted opinions against good companies like aem, and i just wanted to set the matter straight. take it to heart as little or as much as you like.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

i think what purcoda REALLY wants is one big apology. all of us "noobs" have stepped into a realm which we can't possibly fatham the reality of. Being noobs as we are, we should know that our oppinions are pointless and offensive. We should know that if we buy a CAI for our car, we are ricers. We are not pros and do NOT deserve to upgrade, let alone SPEAK about cars. Gossip is out of the question. If we want to learn about cars, we have to sit back and read what the pros write and just hope that they talk about something we want to learn. If we want to fit in and seem smart, we have to cut and paste numbers from websites and attack other people's oppinions with oppinions of our own.

and THAT is how you grow up to be a race car driver.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsuSkot
i think what purcoda REALLY wants is one big apology. all of us "noobs" have stepped into a realm which we can't possibly fatham the reality of. Being noobs as we are, we should know that our oppinions are pointless and offensive. We should know that if we buy a CAI for our car, we are ricers. We are not pros and do NOT deserve to upgrade, let alone SPEAK about cars. Gossip is out of the question. If we want to learn about cars, we have to sit back and read what the pros write and just hope that they talk about something we want to learn. If we want to fit in and seem smart, we have to cut and paste numbers from websites and attack other people's oppinions with oppinions of our own.

jump on the ignorance band-wagon, it fits you well. do you even know what he said? do you know what a baseless opinion is? opinion's i respect, baseless ones, ones on a whim, they're pretty much worthless.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

jump on the ignorance band-wagon, it fits you well. do you even know what he said? do you know what a baseless opinion is? opinion's i respect, baseless ones, ones on a whim, they're pretty much worthless.
i'll jump on your mom-wagon

edit: i only say that for i believe she will fit me well
Old Oct 23, 2004, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

i'll jump on your mom-wagon

edit: i only say that for i believe she will fit me well
haha! can't top that man. the sheer originality of it is killing me... haha... mom-wagon. nice.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

injen numbers:

celica gts
% = 6.7 % = 3.4

se-r spec v
% = 4.0 % = 1.6

eclipse
% = 3.6 % = 2.4

avg hp increase = 4.8%
avg tq increase = 2.5%

aem:

celica gts
% = 6.2 % = 7.0

se-r spec-v
% = 5.1 % = 6.9

eclipse
% = 3.2 % = 3.7

avg hp increase = 4.8%
avg tq increase = 5.9%

aem and injen

What does any of this have to do with the Ralliart? You do notice you were posting in the RA section right? Could you please take those rants to OT or something.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

nope. you took it there, and i took it back down with numbers and reason.
and personal experience being what? butt dyno?

i wasn't trying to blast you out of the water, you just happened to be the final straw. too many people shell out unwarranted opinions against good companies like aem, and i just wanted to set the matter straight. take it to heart as little or as much as you like.

Well, your posts happen to be pro AEM, mine happen to be pro- injen. To each his own. As for the butt-dyno, wrong- I have actual dyno sheets from my injen and aem intakes, just my PC is ****ing up with posting them for some reason. I'll get em up soon. Either way dude, you obviously don't know me, or about my cars, so keep the stupid comments to yourself, I'm no newb at this. And back to the rice thing, I'm a former 1G DSM tuner, and the most popular choice for an intake around my way is Injen, I'll take a polished or black Injen intake anyday over a red or blue AEM. They're is nothing "rice" about polished performance upgrades, Muscle show cars have lots of polished or chrome pieces, are they rice? Didn't think so. This is the ralliart forum by the way. Only 162hp and up is welcome in here.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheDriver11421
...This is the ralliart forum by the way. Only 162hp and up is welcome in here.
HA, lol. I didn't even notice he's driving a crappy OZ. That name right there opitimizes ricer IMO. Mitsu gave the Lancer a cool add on name but didn't do anything to make it any better than a base Lancer. "All show, no go". You paid more money for a badge to put on your trunk. lol

And just so everyone knows, I'm only flaming this guy cuz his post is not only intended to put down people, but he even put it in the wrong room.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 03:30 AM
Evolving Member

Actually, Yes.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't say it. If you're speaking out of your butt-dyno, and can't back it up with numbers, then keep it to yourself.

If you are a newbie and have a question, then by all means ask a question. Most of us are happy to help. But, please don't say it's ok for newbs to gossip and post misinformed opinions, because it's not ok.

- Jason

P.S. not to be offensive. I really do believe "newbies" should ask as many questions as possble. I know people that enjoy writing 2 page detailed reponses to simple newbie questions, so it's not a bother. But newbies posting misinformed info is a MAJOR problem on internet car forums.

Last edited by LancerOZ; Oct 24, 2004 at 03:33 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

personally i think that BOTH ingen and aem are overcharging for a piece of pipe with a filter at the end

if they charge, let's say $150 for their intakes, they would sell a lot more

but over the years they got greed and keep increasing their price

when an "ebay special" cai gets 80% of the gains for $39.95 and you can replace that **** azz filter with a k&n and still stay under $100, you are golden

-joe
Old Oct 24, 2004, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheDriver11421
Well, your posts happen to be pro AEM, mine happen to be pro- injen. To each his own. As for the butt-dyno, wrong- I have actual dyno sheets from my injen and aem intakes, just my PC is ****ing up with posting them for some reason. I'll get em up soon. Either way dude, you obviously don't know me, or about my cars, so keep the stupid comments to yourself, I'm no newb at this. And back to the rice thing, I'm a former 1G DSM tuner, and the most popular choice for an intake around my way is Injen, I'll take a polished or black Injen intake anyday over a red or blue AEM. They're is nothing "rice" about polished performance upgrades, Muscle show cars have lots of polished or chrome pieces, are they rice? Didn't think so. This is the ralliart forum by the way. Only 162hp and up is welcome in here.
you keep missing the point bro. i'm not pro either. i looked at both and only went aem because the flat silver looked better in the engine bay IMO. and no, i don't know you, and i don't know your cars, and i don't care to know. the stupid comments started on your end. first thing you said was aem intakes suck, with the only logical reasoning because they made MORE power on the dyno, according to the difference between your numbers, and the numbers given in the ralliart aem thread.

and rice man. that's completely subjective. i just didn't even know why you threw that in there, other than to bash aem again for no reason. that's my point man. a opinion with some worth and basis would be something like "between aem and injen quality, i'd lean more towards aem". why? do a search, and you'll find posts about how then injen cai brace snapped off on several peoples car. hell, maybe it did with aem too, but i'm not some flamer that just goes "injen blows!"

speaking of subjective, its completely up to you to like chrome man. i know these guys do:

Old Oct 24, 2004, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

which one of those winners are your boyfriend?

I KID! HAH!

but seriously though, which one?
Old Oct 24, 2004, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

i just wanted to add that the only reason i am messing around in this post is because this post is just one giant flame, so why not jump in the fire?

Quick Reply: CAI brand difference rant.