Notices
View Poll Results: Do you warm up your car?
Yes.
60.59%
Only in the morning.
23.15%
No.
16.26%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Do you warm up your engine before you start driving?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2004, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definately in the morning, but if I'm running late I'll let it run for 30 seconds or so and drive no more than 3000 RPM. Like previously said before, this car is little rough if you try to drive from a cold start, it actually scared me one time.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

yes i do idont drive it till i see the needle move.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by reTro
This is exactly what I do. I notice it doesn't shift as well if it's a cold start with no warm up. There's even a different tone in the exhaust.
exactly. A few days ago i just turned her on and took off ( it was about 35*) and boy did she not like to shift, i put it into second and she *jumped and thru me in my seat a lil like, "F*ck you, warm me up b*tch"

Dam, my car called me a 'b*tch'...
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
exactly. A few days ago i just turned her on and took off ( it was about 35*) and boy did she not like to shift, i put it into second and she *jumped and thru me in my seat a lil like, "F*ck you, warm me up b*tch"

I feel you bro!!
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

yeah we just had our first big snow in whitewater wisconsin where i work...sucks big time...goin like 40 in a 55...makes for a long ride home..anyway, yeah definitely warm the car up in the morning...cold wisconsin nights...and definitely if its been sitting all day when i get outta work.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:55 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I wait for the needle to move. That's usually enough time for me to get all the ice scraped off the windows. After that I just take it easy on the engine until it's up to temp.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

My car loves its warm garage . 30 seconds and I'm on the road.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

I don't really sit and idle the car before I leave but I drive at under 3500 rpm for the first 5-10 minutes I'm on the road and don't punch it at all if my car was sittin long and if it is cold out.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 07:04 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

It is more important to warm up the Evos than standard lancers.

I wait until by oil pressure falls below 5 BAR before going anywhere.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

as long as i know my car is getting enough fluids, im off.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

I usually just drive below 2500rpm's until the needle reaches higher.

Probably still not a good thing but Im sure it helps just a bit.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by reTro
This is exactly what I do. I notice it doesn't shift as well if it's a cold start with no warm up. There's even a different tone in the exhaust.
I notice that too. I start it and have it in gear before the idle even stabilizes (auto).
Oil, if it is the proper weight for the tempurature or is synthetic will have circulated in at most, 5 seconds. But of course it is thicker so you don't get quite the lubrication. But true metal to metal contact lasts only a couple seconds.
It has been around -10 in the mornings here (celcius). So I crank, it starts, release the key and within 1-3 seconds I have it in gear and it is creeping forward. Within 5 seconds I have my foot on the gas accelerating away. Obviously I take it easy for 5-10 minutes until the temp hits the middle. The exaust tone is very obviously different until it is completely warmed up. Even when the temp gauge is in the middle, it sounds different until the oil is totally warmed up. The auto trans shifts stiffer too when it is cold, I don't mind it. In -40 degrees I will have it in a garage and if it's outside, I will give it at least a couple minutes to warm up. The guys who complain about freezing temps (in the 30s) ain't seen nothing. Last winter we saw it hit -44C and -59C with the celcius. Yep, -59 degrees below freezing. Cars DO still start and run in those tempuratures. We gave our trailblazer 2-3 minutes of warm up and drove carefully the whole way home. The power steering pump was buzzing the whole way. Cars never warm up completely when it is -40 out, so there is no point in idling them for more than 2-5 minutes, they will never warm up more than 1/4 way anyway.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hehe people wondering why your exhaust tone is different probably haven't ever used a manual choke. You know your car runs super duper rich & has a higher than normal idle till it's warm right? It has sort of a virtual choke whereby it runs pig rich & keeps the idle up so it doesn't stall. That's why the exhaust note is different.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Arithmetic

classic
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I always let it warm up in the mornings whenever is cold and the car has been sitting the the garage all night. Moreover I always use full synthetic oil and let the car cool down with the turbo timer.

To me is a habit, it is like going to bed and brushing my teeth or waking up in the morning and washing my face.

If you want the engine and turbo to last follow the simple rules.

my.002c

Quick Reply: Do you warm up your engine before you start driving?