Notices

CarbonTrix logo contest

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fifty
Relax yourself David Ogilvy, you are right about "recgonition", but your looking at it from a small point of view. Alot of the logos in the auto market are horrible, that doesn't mean that they all are. The best example is Hummer. Look at the logo are there "associative qualities" or is it simply a "sytlized name"? 90% of automotive is simply wordmarks and the reason being is that a wordmark is more regonizable (easier) than an enitre logo. Back to Hummer, there is no logo, just a word mark. Look at the product... LARGE and TOUGH. Look at the logo, thats what it depcits, and thats what the target prospect sees. Take a look around alot of the automotive logos are the same momo and injen are great examples of creative wordmarks that entice a feeling or thought (typically without you realizing it).

No one is saying your wrong, but before you attempt to educate the forum realize what your discussing. Plokivos is right, but hes right for a different reason. Take a look at your logo (KEEP IN MIND THIS IS ONLY CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM) Your logo is very well thought out, and somewhat clever, but decrese it in size. Put it on a business card, what happens? Attempt to cut it with a plotter and make vinyl stickers, what happens? It doesn't reproduce at all. What's the point of a logo if it can't be used in every application? On a side note, while your logo is clever, it is weak. Think of carbon fiber, its strong. Your logo consists of all thin lines, what does that tell your prospect? 4 colours? Is RRM insanely rich? Think long term if everything they have to produce must be 4 colours what's the point? There advertising costs would go through the roof, just because of two added colours. Also the colours are weak there is no strength behind them. Colours entice feelings (Purple is royalty, burgandy is rich, etc.). Grab a colour chart from your local bookstore. They should have one that shows colours (Pantone and their CMYK makeup) and the feelings behind them. Look at the market your attemping to push this logo to. It's not going to register to them. Unforunately, our market has become more of a fashion show than anything else. Look at the people driving around town, there are more "ricers" in our market than there are actual "racers". This logo has to appeal to both. Thats the ****ty nature of business. While "racers" will do their research and only care about the product, "ricers" aren't the same. It's got to look cool.

Again this is not me cutting you down, just don't get so defensive. You obviosuly know something about advertising and branding. I'm sure that a little more work and brainstorming and your next logo would be bulletproof.

HAHAHAHAHA!.....it takes alot for me to laugh out loud....but the david ogilvy comment was hilarious....I doubt many people on here even know who that is...good one....llol

also a very good point....i think we have alot of "designers" here that are experimenting with a bootlegged version of photoshop or paintbrush....and have no concept of DPI...or what it takes to reproduce a logo onto different media!...

OGILVY AND MATHER BEEEEEOTCH!
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
man, I can't offer you 1000 full color business cards for free! doh!

I could offer you my friendship to Road Race E and a comment about the RRE Galant VR4 -white that victor (drives evo 7 now) owns.

It's very fast and unique. I like it.

yeh, I didn't sleep last night, I was up all night doing Audi TT photoshop thing. I think I have an Insomnia.

Well i own a print press....
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=Ichiban]David Ogilvy...LOL...that's cute.

3. 1 color vinyl could easily be produced...and for a minimal investment. If fact, I've had 4 color windshield banners (approx. 42" x 8") created for $20/each + $50 - 1 time setup.
QUOTE]

well thats the point as a designer ...you should be able to give your client a logo that he can give to various printers/vinylguys.. that is ready to go....so he can avoid any $50.00 setupfees as he can.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

You've got a point on the business card thing. Although, I don't believe any of the logo's posted really will lend themselves to much reduction. But then again, you wouldn't need to use that specific logo on a business card and/or stationary. I'd be part of a business package. See these examples:

Just add xxx font for the rest of the text in the name.

or this:

Which would also work well for vinyl.

Yes, back to the drawing board!

As far as the setup fee goes, that was for him to convert it to his native format for the software he uses with his machine. The logo was ready to go. I supplied the vinyl guy with multiple vector based files. No cleanup was necessary.

Last edited by Ichiban; Oct 22, 2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by B|ing
Ichiban with the name regognition is what I was going for in all my logos adding a carbon fiber look. I like what you were doing with the idea as carbon as the element. But with your comparisons... brake company logo lookn like brakes, and tire company logo lookin like tires. Why not do carbon fiber lookin logo for a carbon fiber company.

EDIT
if thats the case thicken out the connecting lines and turn them into carbon fiber. just an idea
I realize what you were trying to do and I respect that. Like I said, there's more than one way to skin a cat. I'm doing something similar to what you're doing...just at a different level. You're using the finished product as representation and I'm using the (loosely) molecular structure idea.

I think some people are misunderstanding. I was attempting to show my personal reasoning and philosophy for my design. I'm sure everyone else has theirs as well. More power to you. I'm not in any way putting that down.

Constructively, the idea about thickening the strands and making them look like c/f has merit. Thanks for the input. This is the kind of feedback I was hoping to receive.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ichiban
You've got a point on the business card thing. Although, I don't believe any of the logo's posted really will lend themselves to much reduction...
True

But then again, you wouldn't need to use that specific logo on a business card and/or stationary...
This is my biggest pet peeve. If you worked for me I would fire you (wheres my Donald Trump photo?) A logo is a logo. Much like your name. If your name is John (legally) you don't sign legal documents "J to tha OHN". Don't change a logo around, your talking about recgonition the worst thing you could do is changing a logo for different formats. If you design a logo thats the logo you use on business cards and layouts. Keeping branding in mind when you develop stationary or any identity package. Branding is the only thing that is going to set your company from any other company. Changing a logo constantly will only kill recgonition and branding all in one shot (Holy **** talk about hypocrite eh? whos educating the forum now... I'm sorry)

I must say though, I am enjoying this discussion and the fact that you are passionate about your designs Ichiban and that you will defend them as best as possible. You'll definetly head somewhere good with that attitude.

Last edited by Fifty; Dec 9, 2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fifty
True

This is my biggest pet peeve. If you worked for me I would fire you (wheres my Donald Trump photo?) A logo is a logo. Much like your name. If your name is John (legally) you don't sign legal documents "J to tha OHN". Don't change a logo around, your talking about recgonition the worst thing you could do is changing a logo for different formats. If you design a logo thats the logo you use on business cards and layouts. Keeping branding in mind when you develop stationary or any identity package. Branding is the only thing that is going to set your company from any other company. Changing a logo constantly will only kill recgonition and branding all in one shot (Holy **** talk about hypocrite eh? whos educating the forum now... I'm sorry)

I must say though, I am enjoying this discussion and the fact that you are passionate about your designs Ichiban and that you will defend them as best as possible. You'll definetly head somewhere good with that attitude.
Your reading my post too literally. I mis-stated what I was trying to convey. That is: you do not have to use the ENTIRE 'carbon trix' spelled out as in the larger logos. I wholeheartedly agree with you. When attempting to build an identity package and create recognition, you need to use the same logo. IMO, the two logos do have the same design and would work as a package. The larger would be applicable to say letterhead, while the smaller would work on business cards, envelopes, etc. Flexibility (especially from media driven constrictions), I feel, is just as important in a successful campaign as is consistency.

Hope this helps clear that up.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 01:44 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was going for brand recognition with the colors, which is something RRE has done well with red black and grey slants. I was trying to play off that, but I wanted something to establish CT as it's own thing but a design that could still incorporate the colors of RRE into the new brand logo, hence the letter, C, X, T. There are 3 letter for each color.

but something people will see, like in license plate, "I 8 U" something like that, or skipping words and still have recognition like ichiban is saying.

But a lot more clear, the Carbon TriX, C T X, sorta have that associative recognition.

Then again, when the C and X crosses with T, you have a reversed B in the logo too, so CBTX. it's carbon trix! lol

whatever, don't fight, if you do design for companies, you'll learn it's not what you like, it's what the owner likes and you have to make logos for the company that's paying you.

All my design crap I learned from RISD is squat now, since I learn how to work in the real world. Doh!
Old Dec 9, 2004, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

why is everyone getting so worked up over this contest. This is more or the less the conceptualization process of the logo. Just comps and renderings being presented to Rob so he can see which ideas he likes. I'm sure Rob is going to request some revisions being made before it goes to final print. It doesn't matter if it's a line art, marker comp, in bitmap, eps or what ever format/medium you choose. Eventually it will be imported into Illustrator, Freehand or which ever vector base program you choose, used as a template or a method you prefer, redrawn and prepared for ripping. You can criticize an artist on his style and methods but it's our own unique style that makes us artists. And seeing everyones work in this thread I must say that I am in company with alot of talented people. Maybe we should form our own studio?

Last edited by plastikpyro; Dec 9, 2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

plokivos - You went to RISD? HAHAHAHA I went to Johnson and Wales just down the road from you! Its funny too I went to J&W for marketing and now work in IT lol. just goes to show you.

In any event, I really think that a lot of folks are forgetting that while there have been some excellent discussion posted here, we dont have a lot of room to work with and the fact that unless they have a lot of money to throw away on promo and logo stickers, its impossible to get more than one color at a time for a sticker that is just used as a logo anyway.

We should be trying to develope one color simple logos to be quickly printed, cut and slapped on the product or the transfer paper. If we were desinging the corporate Crabon Trix logo then it might be different, as it stands, we're not.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think we should create one more thread and put ONLY logos there with no other comments so it is more easy to look them all over! Good idea?

Also, I think we should all post THUMBNAILS ONLY since it is a pain to scroll through 5 different full size versions of the same logo with the only diff being color combos!!!

Maybe around the 12th or so, we should start this new thread. I don't really see the reason for 10 diff color combos when we are designers and should already know what looks best. I can see the use of 2-3 combos max.

Maybe nobody gives a **** and should ignore my post? 8-)
Old Dec 9, 2004, 03:30 PM
Account Disabled

retro, i think that's a bad idea. I like your latter comment. lol

Ohcanada, HS! Small world. J & W culinary people used to cook for RISD, I miss the food!

Anyway, yeh in real world you do what you can with the budget, but sometime simplest things are the best solution/design.
Guys are going nuts for something you should be having fun with.

Ok. LESS TALKING, MORE LOGOS POSTED.

THE END.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 04:40 PM
Account Disabled

well, I got a feeling everyone is holding out unitil the day before the end of the contest. evil evil. lol
Old Dec 9, 2004, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Your reading my post too literally. I mis-stated what I was trying to convey. That is: you do not have to use the ENTIRE 'carbon trix' spelled out as in the larger logos. I wholeheartedly agree with you. When attempting to build an identity package and create recognition, you need to use the same logo. IMO, the two logos do have the same design and would work as a package. The larger would be applicable to say letterhead, while the smaller would work on business cards, envelopes, etc. Flexibility (especially from media driven constrictions), I feel, is just as important in a successful campaign as is consistency.

Hope this helps clear that up.

Branding" look it up!.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 04:51 PM

i'm havin lots of fun with this My first actual attempt at a logo besides a small project we had in class.

only started learnin how to use illustrator in Sept.

Last edited by B|ing; Dec 9, 2004 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: CarbonTrix logo contest