Notices

snow build up on rear

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2004 | 08:12 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by pocoRA
Actually, if you look at the rear wheel well of the ralliart, you notice the bottom ground effect body piece sticks into the well and it has like a little hollow part that fills up with all kinds of ****. I havent driven in snow so i dont know if that's what it is or not, but I do know, Ive had to clean it out a few times of leaves and mud and crap.
Anyone have any idea if the mudflaps would cover up this part? If it weren't dark, I'd go out and look.
Old Dec 7, 2004 | 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

We have been using Pam for years on the fenders of our quads. Works great for mud. I have never tried it in snow, however. One tip - to get all that oil off you need to use heavy duty dish detergent or Simple Green, both of which are bad for your wax job. Good luck. I have not had enough snow in Michigan yet to see how bad the problem is.

EVOlutionary
Old Dec 7, 2004 | 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by otter
Anyone have any idea if the mudflaps would cover up this part? If it weren't dark, I'd go out and look.
When I bought my factory front flaps from Mitsu, they did not have a set that would fit the rear yet. That was back in June though.... anyone gotten a set for the rear yet from their dealer?
Old Dec 7, 2004 | 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Ralliart makes a set of mudflaps (hard plastic style), but they are very expensive. If I remember correctly they were a couple hundred dollars. It was ahile ago, though. May be cheaper now.

EVOlutionary
Old Dec 7, 2004 | 08:40 PM
EvoM Administrator

I gotta go to the dealership on Friday for my free regular maintenence crap, I'll ask them about cost and if they have front and back. I would imagine they do since they're offering it as an option for the 05's.
Old Dec 7, 2004 | 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
No they wouldnt, the part I'm talking about is at the end of the side skirt, between the rear door and the front of the tire, not the back part where the mud flap would be. I was thinking about filling it woth foam or something.
Old Dec 7, 2004 | 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Poco,

I though about this too, I live on a gravel road and this part kept on getting filled up with rocks. I've only had 1 good snow fall and can't comment on the buildup as of yet. But, can anyone shed some insight on this small problem. What about some type of urethane or something.???
Old Dec 8, 2004 | 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

pocoRA what you complainin about? you guys don't get snow...lol, missed you while I was up in BC last week. Anywho, I think you can just use that expandable foam and shave it to fill in those gaps, i had the same idea as well.
Old Dec 8, 2004 | 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
We have been using Pam for years on the fenders of our quads. Works great for mud. I have never tried it in snow, however. One tip - to get all that oil off you need to use heavy duty dish detergent or Simple Green, both of which are bad for your wax job. Good luck. I have not had enough snow in Michigan yet to see how bad the problem is.

EVOlutionary
What oil? you mean the PAM build up or the oil that's already inside the wheel well?

thanks

-joe
Old Dec 8, 2004 | 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

mud flaps
Old Dec 8, 2004 | 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, the oil from the pam. I never looked in my wheel wells, are they coated in that black tar crap the rest of the undercarriage is coated in?

EVOlutionary
Old Dec 8, 2004 | 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

yes they are, that crap is dirty
Old Dec 13, 2004 | 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Tell me about it! The first time I worked on my car, when it was practically brand new, I was sitting on the ground with my legs under the car, working on some wiring by the front dash. When I was done my pant legs were covered in that black tar/oil stuff. I thought I had an oil leak or something, and it was splattering up on the undercarriage. Nope, come to find out that junk is normal. At least they (Mitsu) could have used something that solidifies, like spray-in-bedliner stuff for trucks.

There goes one pair of jeans in the trash. That stain never came out. I think next spring I am going to remove all of that goo from under my car.

EVOlutionary
Old Dec 13, 2004 | 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

How could you get all of that off? heavy duty degreaser?
Old Dec 13, 2004 | 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

i get the same problem sometimes, not always

Quick Reply: snow build up on rear