Notices

More 2.4L MIVEC 4g69's!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2005, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink More 2.4L MIVEC 4g69's!

(note: my other thread got deleted becuase it wasnt relevant enough for the ralliart forum, so i'll be more direct and BOLD)

hey RALLIART guys! the engine in the RALLIART is also being used in the 06 eclipse GS's. also, the eclipse gt will have a v6 mivec engine (i think its a 6g72?).

so any motor mods for the new eclipse will also work for the RALLIART and the (very few) existing RALLIART mods should carry over to the new GS. electronics will be interesting, as will engine accessories. if the GS and GT use the same frame and suspension setup, I would have to think that the v6 might just be able to get swapped into the RALLIART! if these new eclipses are like the other recent ones, our engine bay should have a bit more room. maybe even enough room to turbo the v6 =)

so how does the RALLIART crowd think this will effect the RALLIART?

(was that ralliar-related enough for u? geez....)
Old Jan 13, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool... glad to hear that mitsu is planning more around mivec engines now... hopefully we will get some more mods out of this
Old Jan 13, 2005, 08:15 PM

That sounds great...the more parts available the better!
Old Jan 13, 2005, 08:20 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I bet it'll definitely get RRM some more business.

I'm sure that it'll drive the parts market, and it'll definitely draw a bit more attention to this engine, even though it'll get some flak when it gets compared to the new MIVEC V6.

I'd imagine we'd start seeing things like intake manifolds and internals. Probably electronics, too.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Dropping a 6g75 in a RA?

You're wrong. Has anyone ever seen this 3.8 liter motor? It's bigger than the 6g72 because of more emission stuff. Since the RA shares the same chassis as the Lancer, except for the ES model, the engine bay is still smaller than the eclipse.

Go look at the 3g eclipse engine bay. The 4g64 is small inside the 3g eclipse's engine bay while the 6g72 fills it out.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

the v6 MIVEC in our lil 4door sedan, would be stupid fast. That's like dropping a K20A into a civic hatch.

This is good, will see MORE aftermarket support now... since the eclipse has alway had huge aftermarket support.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

The 4g eclipse RS/GS will increase more product recognition for the RA owners. Then again, there is a learning curve for MIVEC. How long did the H&A tuner 100% figured out VTEC . . . it took some time.

Weight isn't my main concern for the 6g75. It's the motor placement size going from side to side. A 6a13 (a small displacement 6 banger) can fit in the engine bay with crampness. Now, imagine a whopping 3.8 liter . . . go look at the top line galant to the 3g eclipse GTS. I can already see the size difference. It's like saying "dropping a 5.0 'stang motor in a miata" . . . how many of those on the street terrorizing "street racers" or the track?
Old Jan 13, 2005, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

In a way its almost too bad. I love smoking people with the eclips GS who paid $3000 more then us and have a lower performing car with less room.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

so lets see the Lancer Ralliart, Galant, Eclipse, Outlander all have the 2.4L mivec. Yeah i think there will be a lot more engine mods. It does however sadden me becasue Mitsubishi isnt producing more engines for different cars. I mean last thing i heard The diamante eclipse and galant have the same V6. Not sure about the SUV's but it might be the old 3.0L in the eclipses and Galants. I think Mitsubishi needs to step up and make some more engines. This is just my opinion so dont go crazy when everyone reads this.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bahamut
The 4g eclipse RS/GS will increase more product recognition for the RA owners. Then again, there is a learning curve for MIVEC. How long did the H&A tuner 100% figured out VTEC . . . it took some time.

Weight isn't my main concern for the 6g75. It's the motor placement size going from side to side. A 6a13 (a small displacement 6 banger) can fit in the engine bay with crampness. Now, imagine a whopping 3.8 liter . . . go look at the top line galant to the 3g eclipse GTS. I can already see the size difference. It's like saying "dropping a 5.0 'stang motor in a miata" . . . how many of those on the street terrorizing "street racers" or the track?
yup what he said....i t would be a really tight fit
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bahamut
Dropping a 6g75 in a RA?

You're wrong. Has anyone ever seen this 3.8 liter motor? It's bigger than the 6g72 because of more emission stuff. Since the RA shares the same chassis as the Lancer, except for the ES model, the engine bay is still smaller than the eclipse.

Go look at the 3g eclipse engine bay. The 4g64 is small inside the 3g eclipse's engine bay while the 6g72 fills it out.
I wasnt saying it could be done, just suggesting the possibility. I checked my girl's 04 Eclipse GS side-by-side /w my 04 RA this morning. The RA has a deeper bay and the eclipse has a wider bay. If it would fit, it might be at the expense of the AC compressor =) Not something for the weak (ie: me), but would be a cool custom job.

as for the mivec v6 taking away from our 2.4L, look at the 2g eclipses that everyone loves. Everyone wants the 4cyl and hates the 6cyl. the 4cyl is small enough to leave room in the bay for a turbo. the 6cyl is too big and there is no room for the turbo. I think u can SC the 6, but still wont get as much power.

thats why i mentioned the RA engine bay size and the 6cyl. because our engine bay is DEEPER. if they same problems exist with front to back clearance on the eclipse for a v6 turbo setup, this may solve the problem. also if the gs and gt share a bottem end and the gs uses the same engine, it would make me guess that compatability would be more likely.

but it all comes down to whether there is enuf room or not. that prob wont be known until someone tries it =) give it a year or 2.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

I have pics of the new 06 Eclipse!! I will post its site here in a few minutes
Also they have a pickup truck out now.Both look very nice in my opinion.I think the New Eclipse is HOT! It has a lil bit of the second Gen style But is alot more sleek.

www.mitsubishicars.com/06Eclipse

www.mitsubishicars.com/06Raider

Here are some options for the Eclipse GT

Available features¹:
3.8-liter MIVEC V6, 260hp and 260 lb.-ft. torque
6-speed manual or 5-speed Sportronic® transmission
650-watt Rockford Fosgate® 6-CD stereo
18" performance wheels/tires

This is from an Email Mitsu sent me.. so its straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

And a pic if it will work...
Attached Thumbnails More 2.4L MIVEC 4g69's!-eclipse.bmp  

Last edited by IllicitRalliart; Jan 14, 2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

The 6a13 MIVEC = 6 banger, 2.5 liter
The 6g75 MIVEC = 6 banger, 3.8 liter
The 6g72 = 6 banger 3.0 liter

The mirage and lancer (a tad bigger) has about the same engine bay size. The 4g64 has already been swapped into a 5g mirage, and it's a tight fit (shoe horn it) as with Euro and Pacific rim owners with a 6a1x swap.

On your GF's GS, the 3g GT's 6g72 takes up every bit of room running north to south and east to west in the engine bay. The 4g64 looks like a dwarf inside the 3g engine bay. When I had looked at the top line 04 galant w/ a 6g75, the motor was huge with a lot more stuff on it than the 6g72 for the 3g GT . . . on the 3g GTS, I didn't get a good look at the motor.

Also, the intake mani runners (itself) for the 6g75 are so huge that it makes the G93 intake mani + runners like a dwarf. Don't take my word for it . . . go to the dealership and open the top line Galant's hood.

It's not the depth or engine bay's distance running north and south, it's the 6g7x block running east to west. It's not like wiping out an AC compressor. It's knocking out the wheel wells and strut placement . . . how? Where would the side enigine mount be placed/relocated?

Last edited by bahamut; Jan 14, 2005 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by amprowler
It does however sadden me becasue Mitsubishi isnt producing more engines for different cars. I mean last thing i heard The diamante eclipse and galant have the same V6. Not sure about the SUV's but it might be the old 3.0L in the eclipses and Galants. I think Mitsubishi needs to step up and make some more engines. This is just my opinion so dont go crazy when everyone reads this.

I do believe the diamnate is dead.

The 6g7x block is saving Mitsu money.

I do believe the 4g6x and 4g9x block are nearing the end of its cycle. Those engine can't get any bigger.

FEw people here have hinted that Chrysler and Mitsu are joinging hands to create a "world engine" of some sort. I'm sadden a bit on it, but as long as they use the same engine mount placement w/ similar size and right way t0belt placement, miragers are creative enough to look at the possibility for a better 4 banger.