Notices

how do you disable ABS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2005, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you disable ABS

I was participating in a winter snow solo event today. The conditions were packed snow and glare ice corners. I was coming into a corner doing about 45mph...2 cars wide. I started to apply the brakes 60 feet before the corner. The traction situation was quite good,..there was a buildup of packed snow. WHen I pressed the brakes my ABS kicked in and I went flying into this corner and slammed the snow bank. I managed to pull the ebrake to rotate enough not to do a nose dive. The point is that the ABS kicked in and never stopped the car. There was a old sentra, like a 1985 and this car had no problems stopping.. or all other other cars for that fact. Does anyone know how or possibly what fuse needs to be taken out to disable the ABS-EBFD system. Its useless for this type of racing.

Anyone?

thanks
Eric
Old Mar 5, 2005, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

it doesnt tell u in ur manual or anything...if u havnt looked there try it but iono.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 09:51 PM
Account Disabled

learn how to drive or get other tires lol !!!!!
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

I've got great tires....I just don't want ABS for these events. I think I can pull a fuse somewhere
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:29 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lancerallyart
ABS = bad on snow/ice. When I get home from work I'll see if I can look up what fuse you need to pull.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

thanks otter, i just found a thread on the evo forum. its a fuse, but I'm sure it does not match the RA. Do we not have a fuse diagram in our owners manual?? I'm at work and I car pool...its not with me
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:46 PM
Former Vendor

pull the fuse that says abs.. its under the hood on my evo...i do it all the time in the snow... more control
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

I'm racing again this morning and I will do that.
thanks
Old Mar 6, 2005, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

yeah just pull the fuse and that will take care of your ABS problem. let us know how it worked.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

got to the track this morning and pulled the ABS fuse. Its well marked. I have to say that I had 1000% more control. with abs I needed to hand brake to induce oversteer and when you do this with the ebrake it disrupts the car alot causing slower times. With the abs disabled, I was using left foot braking and I never had to use the hand brake. My stopping distances were amazing and I always had control over the car in all situations. I was able to brake late and go into a slide to continue through the corner. I was much more competitive without ABS and I think I was dropping at least 4 to 5 seconds off of my old times on the same track config. OVERALL I will be disabling ABS for winter rallies and for SOLO II
Old Mar 6, 2005, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Well i know in my friends integra he puts ebrake to the first click where the light is on the dash but not enough to hold car back and drive4s like 5 feet then puts ebrak down that disables the ABS for the car untill you shut it off and turn it back on again...

wonder if theres anyhting like this for our cars way cooler then pulling a fuse.

i know in my car personally im just gonna run new SS brake lines bypassing the whole abs unit and take all the wheels speed sensors off hehe

Thanks
Tory
Old Mar 6, 2005, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Tory,

I've had that happen to me where the ABS get shut off with the ebrake. I cannot reproduce it consistanly as it accidently happened twice. Is there any particular reason why pulling a fuse out is not good? if there is, I'd like to know so I don't mess something up
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think you could mess anything up. you are just finding a ghetto solution to your problem. besides when has taking the ghetto way of doin anything hurt? :slight sarcasm:
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancerallyart
Awesome advice there, chief.

He's looking for help, not stupid replies.

Glad you got it working, a fuse pull is simple and effective. Since you're racing, i doubt you care much about warranty coverage, but if you do, make sure to reinsert it before the dealer looks at it, god knows they try voiding perfectly good warranties for anything these days.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Pull the ABS fuse, simple. The ABS light will go on, and you have no ABS. Put the fuse back and the light goes out, you have ABS again.
BTW ABS puts the most amount of pressure on the brakes possible without letting them lock up. You can bet you slowed down as much as possible on that ice. When you try stopping on ICE, ABS or no ABS, you are not stopping for awhile...

Quick Reply: how do you disable ABS