New Review: 2005 Lancer Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New Review: 2005 Lancer Ralliart

Courtesy of cars.about.com © Jason Fogelson

Turn your morning commute into a morning romp
Ready for a real kick in the pants? Meet the 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart. For only $18,199 ($20,405 as tested, including optional "Sun, Sound & Side Air Bag Package"), the 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart is a sporty sedan with a snorty 165 hp engine driving the front wheels through a 5-speed manual trans. With Mitsi's standard 10 yr/100,000 mi powertrain and 5 yr/60,000 mi new vehicle warranties, the little Mitsubishi is a great car for a young driver with sporting ambitions.

First Glance
Ralliart is the motorsports arm of Mitsubishi Motors, established in 1984 to prepare and tune its cars for various events and competitions. The Lancer Ralliart occupies a middle ground in the Lancer lineup, between the workaday ES models and the souped-up styling of the Lancer Evolution. Tastefully styled, the Ralliart is distinguished by a short rear spoiler (as opposed to the Evo's "look-at-me" rear wing) and subtle "Ralliart" badging. Nice 16" allow wheels sport low profile rubber, and slight lowering lends an aggressive stance. Overall fit and finish are very good. The Ralliart exterior is available in six different finishes (white, grey, black, metallic silver, yellow and red), all of which come with the same black interior. I drove an attention-getting "Phoenix Red" model, a bold color that the Ralliart wore in style. This is a young, eager pup of a car, one that wants to play, and it looks fun without looking cute or overly designed. No hood scoops or flares for the Ralliart - leave that to the Evo and the other boy racers. In stock form, it won't stand out in a crowd by virtue of its looks, but it will put a grin on the face of its drivers, and leave some dough in their wallets if the customizing bug hits later.

In the Driver's Seat
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart: No needless gee-gaws here - it's all business
I like an interior that doesn't play mind games with you - is anybody really fooled by fake wood or printed carbon fiber? The Ralliart's dash is simple and straightforward, constructed of high quality styled plastic. The leather-wrapped gear shift ball falls naturally to hand, and the tilt wheel has a good feel. A clear, well-placed gauge cluster does the job with little fuss. The cloth seats are firm, generous (I need that) and supportive (I need that, too), with racy-looking patterned inserts surrounded by brushed black fabric sides. Sightlines are superb in all directions, as soon as you get used to the spoiler bisecting the view in the rear view mirror. A few quibbles: The backlit gauges are hard to read after dark. Some parts are slightly cheesy, like the turn signal stalk and cruise-control lever. And it was a tight fit for my size 14 brogans down by the pedals. But when you consider the price point, these quibbles seem like nitpicking. Amenities like standard power windows and door locks, cruise control, air conditioning, fog lamps, remote keyless entry, 8-way adjustable driver's seat, center armrest with storage and cupholders make the Ralliart feel like a real value. And that's before you ever drive the car.

On the Road
Take a drive in the Ralliart and it really starts to make sense. Turn the key and you're rewarded with a satisfyingly throaty growl, as if the 2.4 liter inline four under the hood is challenging you to take it for a romp. Snick into first, give it some gas and let the light clutch out and the car leaps from a start, chirping the front drive wheels in delight. The engine howls in response to your demands, and suddenly you're going way faster than you intended to go. Luckily the four wheel disc brakes are equipped with anti-lock circuitry and electronic brake distribution, so stopping the Ralliart is smooth and reliable. Romping around corners is a blast, as the front wheels pull the car through the turn with excellent grip and feel. Shifts are smooth with the short-throw shifter. This is one fun car. The ride is firm and sporting - a little too firm if you can't avoid the potholes. The Ralliart reacts to sharp ruts and bumps with a bang! as suspension travel is not up to the task - this is not a car for the Dakar Rally by any means. If you have to travel any distance on rough roads on a regular basis, you might want to look elsewhere. If your regular commute is smooth-ish and suburban, the Ralliart can deliver an exciting ride.

Journey's End
So, who is the 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart right for? If you're helping a new college grad buy their first new car, this car should be on the list. Compare it to the Nissan Sentra SE-R, the Toyota Corolla XRS, the Dodge Neon SXT and the Ford Focus ZX4 ST (all sedans) and against the Honda Civic Si and the Chevrolet Cobalt SS (both coupes). Some of those cars have more horsepower, some have more trunk space. But overall, the Ralliart measures up favorably with the cars in its price class, and may have the best manual transmission of the bunch. The EPA claims that gas mileage to be in the 23 city to 29 highway range, though I suspect that it will be tough to attain those numbers with the tempting torque on tap in the Ralliart. Did I mention how much fun this car is to drive? Mitsubishi is going through some tough times right now, and sales are down on all models across the boards. Mitsubishi's bad news can be good news for the new car buyer, though, as dealers will be eager for serious buyers and incentives from the manufacturer can't be far behind. If there's any justice in the car world, Mitsubishi will pull out of its tail spin soon. Building a car like the 2005 Lancer Ralliart is a step in the right direction.

My Take: Good reveiw and read... surprised it did well against the other "named" competetion.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 08:40 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Overall good review, which makes me happy, but a few points - this guy does NOT like the Evolution. Also, what's so cheesy about the turn signal lever? That confuses me.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

i guess its kinda light unlike the bmw turn signal lever ... kinda feels fragile compared to the bmw ones =) haha

but then again its a bmw

P.S. only comparing to bmw cuz i don't drive ne other cars
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:26 AM
Account Disabled

nice review, but im kinda wonderin what he meant about the turn signal lever too.........hmmmmmmmmm............ well at least he didnt compare us to the mini's
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

if the only thing bad with the car was the turn signal lever...so be it. i guess we can't all be perfect.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Snorty???? Um, OK.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 02:25 PM

spoiler bisecting the view in the rear view mirror? (no wonder he hates the evo) havent really had a problem with that.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

ya the only problem i get with the car is the pedals....big feet with boots dont work.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 04:13 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by OC_Ralliart
ya the only problem i get with the car is the pedals....big feet with boots dont work.
Big feet here, too (13 wide). But once I got used to the close pedals I fell in love with them. Heel and toe driving has never been easier.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Pretty good review.

Yes 13's here I got pedals too and I'm still ok. Boots don't work with any car you need a truck for boots

The spoiler does interfere slightly with my rear view.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I found out the hard way. The worst is when your boot is too wide and gets stuck between the brake pedal and the wall and you can't press down on the gas.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure what he meant about the turn signal either, sit in any Japanese car and they are all like that with the headlight switch on it. Plus at least the thing is tight and stiff, not all loose and floppy like American cars.