Notices

So, what's the deal about MIVEC...?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2005, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

^^^ inside the car, so I can see if it switches @ 3500rpms, but now that you mention... ill pop the hood and try the throttle cable instead.

Last edited by Arithmetic; May 4, 2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old May 4, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm... your stubborness has lead to my curiousity. Now I may have to try that just to hear it.
Old May 4, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

hey I guess I'm going to do this to..................hey might as well jump on the band wagon
Old May 4, 2005, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Here is a quick vid (mostly just for sound purpose). I put the silencer on my exhaust and it's kinda windy, but it's there so listen carfully, ull here a lil switch and the engine pitch get higher. I don't stay in MIVEC long, just so you can hear the cam profile. On the 8th revv, i stay in MIVEC for alil and you can hear the engine pitch scream a bit.

Here is the times for the MIVEC cam profile ( I used WMP):
12sec
19sec
24sec
31sec
36sec
40sec
47sec
56sec
1.12sec

http://s4.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0N...71BRZAXMW3B4S9
Old May 4, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

wow that was just a lot of ruckus, maybe try videoing from further away so that sound isn't so overcoming and maybe so we can hear an exhaust note too.
Old May 5, 2005, 04:27 AM

http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...Q3R5NG91ZVLQOF

Can you hear my cam changeover? (not the Ralliart)
Old May 5, 2005, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

^^^ ahhhh, I HATE YOU. .

LIFT @ 6k = Nice tach vid.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

I read in several articles that Mitsu designed MIVEC with three different cam profiles(low, med, and high) as opposed to just two, like VTEC and VVTL. I think this is a major cause of the "less kick" that has been described in this thread because the increase is spread over two profile transitions. The only thing is I can only find mention of a 3500rpm switchover, but nobody mentions when the other takes place. Is 3500 the low-mid switch or the mid-high? When is the other one?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah explain what mods you have, I'm running all the bolt ons, (headers/dp, udp, aem cai, timing box, pnp mani, and the piggyback), now I had lost some bottom end untill I threw on my piggy, and rrm tinkered the map a little bit and there is a huge change. Launches gres and you can deffinatly feel that kick on mivec and I have felt nothing but gains all around the power band. Actually just did a run with a s2000 and a celica gts. Took em both.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 01:08 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lancerguy0208
I read in several articles that Mitsu designed MIVEC with three different cam profiles(low, med, and high) as opposed to just two, like VTEC and VVTL. I think this is a major cause of the "less kick" that has been described in this thread because the increase is spread over two profile transitions. The only thing is I can only find mention of a 3500rpm switchover, but nobody mentions when the other takes place. Is 3500 the low-mid switch or the mid-high? When is the other one?
There's only one switchover. When their talking 3 profiles, they mean that when below ~3500, the intake is at "medium" and the exhaust is at "low" (might be the other way around, don't remember.) Above 3500, both are at a "high" profile.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

people dont understand this at all...theres no kick-in...you dont want a kick-in mivec is always working it doesnt just engage, if you tune your own car you will find out that theres a MAP for it, also it only changes cam duration (timing) not lift thats why its variable valve timing not a variable valve event, think of MIVEC like a computer controlled adjustable cam gear, it optimizes where peak lift will occur during the combustion cycle (how many degrees before top dead center) to control where the cars powerband is and give the car that ability to feel like "it just keeps pulling", more information is pointless unless you grasp that
Old Feb 7, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chabada15
people dont understand this at all...theres no kick-in...you dont want a kick-in mivec is always working it doesnt just engage, if you tune your own car you will find out that theres a MAP for it, also it only changes cam duration (timing) not lift thats why its variable valve timing not a variable valve event, think of MIVEC like a computer controlled adjustable cam gear, it optimizes where peak lift will occur during the combustion cycle (how many degrees before top dead center) to control where the cars powerband is and give the car that ability to feel like "it just keeps pulling", more information is pointless unless you grasp that
Quoted because people need to read this
Old Feb 7, 2010, 06:28 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chabada15
On the Evo, this is correct, on the 04-06 Ralliart, it is not correct. The MIVEC on the 4G69 adjusts lift as well as timing.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
--

Last edited by Ralliart_on_LSD; Feb 7, 2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nevermind. re-edited my post. because the mods on this website dont like me. bottom line. oh well... wish i could help.

Last edited by Ralliart_on_LSD; Feb 7, 2010 at 10:45 PM.

Quick Reply: So, what's the deal about MIVEC...?