Notices

auto RA 1/4 mile times

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2005, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about the 0-60 times for the RA automatic? I haven't seen any magazine test this combo so I'm just curious. I'm figuring 8.1 seconds. Not bad really, considering it could beat a 98 A4 1.8 T with a manual tranny.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

1.8T are not as good as they are put up to be. Now a modded one is a different story. I wouldn't advise doing the 1,2,3 D shifting because it will definitally screew up your tranny. It's your car though so have fun driving!
DRIVE HARD
Old Jun 5, 2005, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RAKenzo
1.8T are not as good as they are put up to be. Now a modded one is a different story. I wouldn't advise doing the 1,2,3 D shifting because it will definitally screew up your tranny. It's your car though so have fun driving!
DRIVE HARD
How will it screw up the transmission? You are telling it to upshift, instead of the computer. The same **** happens inside the transmission. BTW, all the sportshift type of transmissions (RSX auto, Eclipse auto etc) do the exact same thing, except they have + - instead of L, 2, 3, D.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Sportback79
What about the 0-60 times for the RA automatic? I haven't seen any magazine test this combo so I'm just curious. I'm figuring 8.1 seconds. Not bad really, considering it could beat a 98 A4 1.8 T with a manual tranny.
The stock 1.8T is way too hyped up for sure! My bro's A4 can only be described as comfortable. But beware of flashed A4s though! I finally convinced him to go get his' flashed at APR... they gain about 45HP with nothing else than new software (no hardware whatsoever)!!!

-
Old Jun 5, 2005, 10:21 AM

So no one knows 0-60 times for an auto RA?
Old Jun 5, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by captain150
How will it screw up the transmission? You are telling it to upshift, instead of the computer. The same **** happens inside the transmission. BTW, all the sportshift type of transmissions (RSX auto, Eclipse auto etc) do the exact same thing, except they have + - instead of L, 2, 3, D.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...highlight=auto

My comment is toward the end of the thread.

Logic Q: Are the regular tranny in the lancer the same as the sprotronic?

answer: nope. They have lesser parts than the sportronic. Amongst 3g eclipse owners, most would say their sportronic is more sloppy in shifting than a regular auto tranny. Mitsu designs aren't the same as the version from a Ferrai or Acura TSX.

I won't rehash stuff, just read the entire thread in that above link.

When you have toasted your auto tranny within 3 years (severe sloppy shifting and clunking), tell us about it after paying +1500 to 3000 bucks in repairs. People on the net need to see and read all those horrible dead tranny stories to scare them straight.

Last edited by bahamut; Jun 5, 2005 at 10:45 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Embarassingly slow?
I think I'd prefer to have a slow car stock then be a complete jackass from the factory.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks bahamut
Old Jun 6, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

i had a 3g eclipse it had the sportronic tranny, and it was strong. i nautrol-drop it all the time for three years! never died on me or slipped. the only thing that i did not like was when it came down to it was still an auto.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bahamut
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...highlight=auto

My comment is toward the end of the thread.

Logic Q: Are the regular tranny in the lancer the same as the sprotronic?

answer: nope. They have lesser parts than the sportronic. Amongst 3g eclipse owners, most would say their sportronic is more sloppy in shifting than a regular auto tranny. Mitsu designs aren't the same as the version from a Ferrai or Acura TSX.

I won't rehash stuff, just read the entire thread in that above link.

When you have toasted your auto tranny within 3 years (severe sloppy shifting and clunking), tell us about it after paying +1500 to 3000 bucks in repairs. People on the net need to see and read all those horrible dead tranny stories to scare them straight.
I didn't read the entire thread, but I know the ins and outs of automatics pretty well. I know an RSX has only clutch packs (no bands). Not sure if the Lancer 4 speed auto has any bands. But it doesn't matter, what someone mentioned there is true. Downshifting an auto is harder on it, however, read the manual and it says nothing about this being bad for the car (it actually reccomends it for hills if the computer doesn't do it).
Downshifting an automatic manually will wear it out more, but it won't cause "failure". Failure will only happen if you do it SO much that the fluid overheats. The clutches in the auto have to bring the engine up to the speed it should be with the car. Same as downshifting a manual without blipping the throttle, the clutch has to bring the engine up (and you get the lurch).
The clutches in the Lancer's auto, i'm sure, are designed to hold over 200 horsepower at over 6000RPM so that the next clutch can engage. Revving up the engine is nothing compared to WOT upshifting or WOT kickdown. Same as with manuals, forcing the engine to rev faster is nothing compared to moving a 2800lb car from a dead stop.
In any case, downshifting into 1st is the hardest on the transmission. I downshift from 4th to 3rd everyday to stay out of 4th in the city, not a big deal. Going down into 2nd also doesn't do anything. Going into 1st though, it loses a lot of speed and you can feel the transmission slowing the car down. Upshifting manually is doing the same thing as it would if you were in D.
I drive 2 autos and have driven both for months like this, the fluid in both is fine, no problems at all.
#1 cause of automatic trans failure; overheated fluid (can happen with 20 miles on the car if you get stuck in snow for long enough)
#2 cause of auto trans failure; dirty fluid (if you never change it)
#3 cause of auto trans failure; worn clutchs and/or bands (if the trans has fluid changes like it's supposed to, it will last for 200,000+ miles)
#4 cause of auto trans failure; abuse (like neutral dropping, THAT is REALLY bad for the trans).
Old Jun 16, 2005, 09:45 AM

Back to the first question on this thread...

13 passes, best time 16.543 @83.46 mph (was running 16.8s with a set of golf clubs in the trunk if anyone cares) Shiftiing the auto does help to the tume of .2-.3 seconds.

Only mods are RRM SRI and lighther rims. Anyone who says that a stock auto can hit the 15s...let me know the secret. It was hot and humid.

0-60 not tracked
Old Jun 16, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Badgerman
Back to the first question on this thread...

13 passes, best time 16.543 @83.46 mph (was running 16.8s with a set of golf clubs in the trunk if anyone cares) Shiftiing the auto does help to the tume of .2-.3 seconds.

Only mods are RRM SRI and lighther rims. Anyone who says that a stock auto can hit the 15s...let me know the secret. It was hot and humid.

0-60 not tracked
Hot and humid? Give it a try with the stock intake. Do you brake torque? And I hope the A/C was off
Old Jun 16, 2005, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive seen a stock sportback auto hit a 16.0. try the brake launch and lose all the weight u can within reason.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by reimundo
i had a 3g eclipse it had the sportronic tranny, and it was strong. i nautrol-drop it all the time for three years! never died on me or slipped. the only thing that i did not like was when it came down to it was still an auto.
Sportronic trannies maybe a tad different.

If you column shift from a neutral drop on any regular automatic, the tranny will be dead soon. Drive a chevy celebrity and neutral drop the hell out of it . . . within 10k miles, you'll be stranded on the side of the road and hanging with bums on the side of the highway . . . don't forget to wave a thumb for me.

Downshifting an auto is harder on it, however, read the manual and it says nothing about this being bad for the car (it actually reccomends it for hills if the computer doesn't do it).
As for the hill, how many people live in the mountains or very steep hills? Hell, when I was in Pitt, PA, I drove a rental sable . . . I never had to eliminate OD out it normal driving condition. I was too busy cooking its brakes, preventing me going downhill so freaking fast due to the slope.

I know some 4g miragers who thought manual shifting was a better way to get faster . . . after their 3rd tranny rebuilt, they gave up on the car. Believe me, blowing up a clutch (manual) is much more cost efficient than blowing up an auto tranny. A rebuilt auto tranny will never feel solid as before.

Last edited by bahamut; Jun 16, 2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the input Captain and Blk-majik. I did brake torque upto 2500rpm. Interesting point about the stock intake. RRM would have some splain' to do if stock intake would run quicker.