Notices

#$%^% - fog light screws

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#$%^% - fog light screws

I tried (maybe a little too hard) to change the fog light bulbs and I stripped the screws. ( its kind of a tight spot and the screws are weak) I tried to use a dremmel to cut a new groove, but that stripped it even worse. Does anyone know where I can get a new fog light for cheap or should I just go to the dealership. I have hyper white headlights and I cant stand the yellowish color of the fog lights and now I cant change them . If anyone has any ideas let me know.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 02:56 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Go to a hardware store and pick up a bit set made to remove stripped screws. Sears and Harbor Freight both have such things.

Last edited by otter; Jun 23, 2005 at 03:27 PM. Reason: correcting grammar.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

If you actually deal with fog, though, the yellow is a kickass thing to have..I want SUPER yellow ones, if I can find decent bulbs...
Old Jun 23, 2005, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

I feel your pain. I didn't stip my screws but it was a PITA to replace the bulbs.
If you want new fogs then you can get them here:
http://search.ebay.com/lancer-fog-li...fkrZ1QQfromZR8

but I would just get the kit for removing stripped screws, good luck.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

what o2thag showed is actually a very good deal. Order the kit, take the screws that come with your new kit, then resell the fog lights, (just mention that you took the screws out of course). my two cents
Old Jun 23, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks a lot guys...i didn't know how to take stripped screws out ( i have heard of it though) I will stop by harbor frieght and see what I can find. The ebay lights kinda look a little bit cheaper than the ones we have ...they arent projectors...but anyways Im gonna try and take the screws out. Only my drivers side is messed up...I know to be a little more careful on the passenger side.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Azure
If you actually deal with fog, though, the yellow is a kickass thing to have..I want SUPER yellow ones, if I can find decent bulbs...
PIAA Ion Yellow...Im thinking about buying them but I already have the hyperwhite to match.
http://search.ebay.com/piaa-h3-yello...fkrZ1QQfromZR8
Old Jun 23, 2005, 09:27 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38037

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 07:36 AM

you can also take a small drill bit and drill the screw out.... start drilling right in the middle .. once thats done... the rest of the screw just caves in.... so there you go... screw pieces falling out and the thread should be good to go. Get a new screw from Home Depot or Lowes... and youre set... no need to buy any new fog lights.. save your money for another mod instead.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

the fog lights in our cars are a major pain to change.... i had to take out the other one to figure out how to piece back the one i took apart
Old Jun 25, 2005, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what happened to me was that i actually broke the screw.... i just used epoxi and hight temp silicone to bond the two pieces... so far no water in and the fog lights are working great... is been 5 months since that...
Old Jun 27, 2005, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PR_Mivec
what happened to me was that i actually broke the screw.... i just used epoxi and hight temp silicone to bond the two pieces... so far no water in and the fog lights are working great... is been 5 months since that...
What if your foglight burns out...how you gonna change it???

Yeah when I get a chance im just gonna take off the head of the screw and get a new screws...hope It wont be too hard to find the right size/thread because I have heard that auto screw differ from house screws(like what home depot wil sell) But Ill figure it out thanks guys.

I just dont understand why they had to use such a stupid way to change a bulb...all my other cars foglihjts where just like my headlights ( easy)
Old Jun 27, 2005, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbradj
What if your foglight burns out...how you gonna change it???
with a lot of patience... since only one screw is missing is not a lot of hassle....
Old Jun 27, 2005, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

omg I had the same problem. Stripped screw... I had some piaa GT-x i wanted to put in and I had to go to the dealer to get it out and switch them. But they now they look awesome, very purply.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RottyM
you can also take a small drill bit and drill the screw out.... start drilling right in the middle .. once thats done... the rest of the screw just caves in.... so there you go... screw pieces falling out and the thread should be good to go. Get a new screw from Home Depot or Lowes... and youre set... no need to buy any new fog lights.. save your money for another mod instead.
Thank you so much...I just did like u said and I found a match for the screw (better quality than the ones we have) I installed my PIAA paltinum whites and they look great!! ( I havent seen them at night yet, I have been in school ever since it got dark here)

Quick Reply: #$%^% - fog light screws