Notices

Water inside the Headlight!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Water inside the Headlight!!!

It have been raining for the last few days down here. Yesterday I saw just a little bit of water inside the drivers side headlight (The other one is OK). This morning there was a lot of water condensation inside the headlight!

I took the car to the dealer and they told me than that is normal (yeaaa...so why the other one is ok I ask...they told me they don't know...but won't change it under warranty for that). That sucks big time! Now my wagon headlight look like **** because of that!

So the question is: Do this happened before to one of you guys and girls? Did you think that Mitsu should cover it under warranty? What can be done....bake the darn thing and reseal it???
Attached Thumbnails Water inside the Headlight!!!-sportback_head.jpg   Water inside the Headlight!!!-ok-headlight.jpg  
Old Jul 22, 2005, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty sure mine gets a little moist on the inside after excessive rain...usually dries right out though?
Old Jul 22, 2005, 06:25 PM

Maybe one of the lights isnt fully seated? I'd take the bulb out of the back and let it air out in the sun. Then check to make sure they're fully seated when you plug it back in. If it's sealed in the back, then must be a leak around the front. Ya'd think they'd replace it if it's that though.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Its because you have that bra on the car.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ralliartracer
Its because you have that bra on the car.

Yea...that's funny! So how you explain that it only happened to one of them...not both? Also I have been using the bra for a long time and that didn't happenned before! Even one of my friends have one and his car is ok!!!

My friend at the dealer told me that he have seen some Outlanders with the same problem...and they didn't have the bra!!!

I also rechecked the 9007 bulb and it was fully seated and tight!

Old Jul 23, 2005, 06:29 AM

I had Mitsu throw in the full bra when i bought my car. I only had it on a couple weeks, but NEVER had that happen. I only use the bra now for protection on longer road trips because I heard it could 'cloud' your paint over time.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

I remember awhile ago someone had some condensation form behind there, but nothing bad came of it. I'm not sure if this is a similar problem.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ThyPunko_PR

Yea...that's funny! So how you explain that it only happened to one of them...not both? Also I have been using the bra for a long time and that didn't happenned before! Even one of my friends have one and his car is ok!!!

My friend at the dealer told me that he have seen some Outlanders with the same problem...and they didn't have the bra!!!

I also rechecked the 9007 bulb and it was fully seated and tight!

check the rubber seal and make sure is not worn out.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

I just wanted to make fun of the bra. And yes kodam it does cloud your paint. I do car detailing and i see alot of this. Bras hold in moisture that eventually dries and clouds the paint. It's like it bakes the clear coat.

Thypunko. . . just go to the dealer. You need a new light assembly. The seal is defective. It'll be coverd under warranty.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ralliartracer
I just wanted to make fun of the bra. And yes kodam it does cloud your paint. I do car detailing and i see alot of this. Bras hold in moisture that eventually dries and clouds the paint. It's like it bakes the clear coat.

Thypunko. . . just go to the dealer. You need a new light assembly. The seal is defective. It'll be coverd under warranty.
No problem ralliartracer...thanks for the help and info. Anyway I plan to get rid of the bra and install the stick-on one. One of my friends is ordering a roll of the 3M clear material and then he will custom cut it for my car at his shop. But first I have to send my header to Jet-Hot and then go to a shop to custom build a downpipe with a High Flow Cat.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

looks like you black-out your headlights?
Old Jul 23, 2005, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SlowCar
looks like you black-out your headlights?
No, Ralliart comes with stock black out headlights.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

looks like warranty time!
Old Jul 25, 2005, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

1. on a nice sunny day, park the car in the sun
2. take out the bulb from the socket and leave it for the day
3. in the afternoon, put the bulb back and make sure it's seated properly
4. during the next rain storm, see if it still condenses

if there was moisture inside the headlight and the bulb is on tight, you basically "trapped" all this water inside and when it started raining, it got cold and started to condense.. by leaving it in the sun with the bulb out, you are letting the moisture escpape

-joe
Old Jul 27, 2005, 06:40 PM
rdc
Evolving Member

I just went to the dealer for an alignment problem and told the guys over to check the headlights too because they tend to get a little foggy at night (water condensating inside) and they told me that the headlights have some kind of a ventilation hole or something, so as long as there wasnt any water in there, it was ok and it would go away. I still ask myself, doesnt condensation mean "water"???duhh!!!! I just think it´s them avoiding their responsability when it comes to warranty coverage.

Quick Reply: Water inside the Headlight!!!