Notices

Throw-Out Bearing Trouble

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throw-Out Bearing Trouble

At about 1500 miles on the odometer I was driving down the road and I heard what I thought to be crickets... after a while I realized that when I stepped on the clutch pedal it went away... so when I took it in for service they said they didn't here it... I took it in again and the said the same thing... The third time I took it in because I had to get my flex pipe replaced, I left work early to point it out to the tech... he heard it now cause it does it when it's driving and neutral... turns out it's my throw-out bearing going out already and it's a 7-8 hr job... they had to order the bearing and it's in the shop now... so watch out for crickets cause it might be your throw-out bearing...
Old Aug 2, 2005, 01:25 PM

thnx for the info
il look out for those crickets
Old Aug 2, 2005, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the heads up, but i'm confused about this noise you are talking about? Well I always have music on, I guess i'm screwed.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

It's hard to describe the noise... it's kinda like a high pitch, pulsing noise... at first it was only when I was in gear and driving... not in neutral... then after a while it got louder and eventually it did it all the time unless the clutch pedal was pressed... or even if I just barely touched the pedal...
Old Aug 2, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm amazed that the throwout bearing would be going already. My last 3 cars all used Mitsu throwout bearings, and I never had one go out before the clutch disc. I got over 100000 miles out of them, usually.

The job is 7-8 hours because they have to remove the transmission to change the bearing. To remove the transmission, they have to take out the driveshafts, and they have to take apart the front suspension to remove the driveshafts. It's kind of a pain in the @ss.

I've changed clutches in my DSMs in about 4 hours, though, so 7-8 hours seems a little long to me. They have to go by what the book says.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what exactly is a throw-out bearing?
Old Aug 2, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Number 12 in this diagram. The clutch release fork is stationary, but your pressure plate is rotating with the flywheel. The throwout bearing is pushed into the pressure plate by the release fork, and the part that contacts the pressure plate will spin with it. When the bearing goes bad, it makes noise. Sometimes the noise goes away when you step on the pedal, other times you'll only hear the noise when you step on it.

Attached Thumbnails Throw-Out Bearing Trouble-clutch.jpg  
Old Aug 3, 2005, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah the mechanic has been amazed by the things that go wrong with the car... He said that it was defective... I also had a defective flex pipe... hopefully I don't have a complete lemon...
Old Aug 3, 2005, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Are they doing it under warranty? If so, now is a good time to do that aftermarket clutch
Old Aug 3, 2005, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah it's under warranty but I don't really need an aftermarket clutch... you may ask why... well I'll tell you... cause I don't drive it that hard and I'm still working with factory horses and I don't plan on making much more power than that... plus my dealer service is cool but I don't know if they are that cool...
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did it sound like it was coming from the passenger side of the car?

im unsure if the wierd noise ive been hearing is the same as you are describing...need to go in for my tune-up soon so ill have them check it out.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Driver's side... at first you couldn't even hear it on the passenger side... then when it got louder you could hear it... good luck...
Old Aug 5, 2005, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

So far I had a squeaking clutch that went away on it's own which I thought would be the throw out bearing. I thought there was a TSB on the throw out bearing from the 04's. Was the flex pipe rattling? Either my flex pipe or cat just started rattling on downshifts.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah... it was rattling pretty bad... if you get under the car and tap around you can hear it rattle... and I just got my car back yesterday and no more noise... brand new throw-out bearing...
Old Aug 7, 2005, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Always good when the dealership actually honors your waranty.

Quick Reply: Throw-Out Bearing Trouble