Notices

After market steering wheel/SRS light

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2005, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After market steering wheel/SRS light

I was thinking about replacing my stock steering wheel to an aftermarket one. My question is: what can I do to keep the ABS light from coming on? Would I just take out the bulb in the guage cluster or remove the circuit breaker for the ABS. What kind of suggestions do you guys have??
Old Aug 2, 2005, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You mean the SRS light? There should be a way to put a resistor in place of the airbag to fool it.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, thats what I meant. I hope someone has the answer to this.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
All I will say is don't try to measure the resistance of the airbag in order to select a resistor. You might accidentally deploy the airbag.

I read a webpage a while ago about a guy that disconnected his airbag, put in a variable resistor in its place, and just turned the knob until the SRS light went out. Then he measured the resistance if the variable resistor, and put in a regular resistor of the same value. I'm interested to know if our cars are smarter than whatever vehicle that was, though. If you try anything like that, let us know.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Get the "splash" hub adapter from zperformance (or whatever they are called) and it has a wire that comes with it that which turns the light off. The company is in the registered vendor page.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
I read a webpage a while ago about a guy that disconnected his airbag, put in a variable resistor in its place, and just turned the knob until the SRS light went out. Then he measured the resistance if the variable resistor, and put in a regular resistor of the same value.

It makes good sense to use this method... less guess work.

-
Old Aug 3, 2005, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Not to be a downer but I didn't know if you knew it is illegal to remove an airbag equipped steering wheel... you probably don't care but I was just givin you a heads up...
Old Aug 3, 2005, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdizzy
Not to be a downer but I didn't know if you knew it is illegal to remove an airbag equipped steering wheel... you probably don't care but I was just givin you a heads up...

Local laws vary from state to state and province to province. Maybe it is legal in some places? You're insurance company on the other hand might not like this at all and may deny your claim in the event of an accident... so if you remove the airbag, you might continue to pay for insurance but not be covered. I'd give these guys a call before doing it.

Another option (if you're very rich) would be to replace the stock wheel with the EVO wheel (perfect fit). It has an airbag as well...

-
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WoRkZ
Local laws vary from state to state and province to province. Maybe it is legal in some places? You're insurance company on the other hand might not like this at all and may deny your claim in the event of an accident... so if you remove the airbag, you might continue to pay for insurance but not be covered. I'd give these guys a call before doing it.

Another option (if you're very rich) would be to replace the stock wheel with the EVO wheel (perfect fit). It has an airbag as well...

-
It is UNLAWFULL under ANY Province or State legislation to remove ANY safety device on a motor vehicle UNLESS it is being used in a closed circuit racing enviornment. If it is being used as any form of personal or business transportation on public (read: government owned) streets then you are breaking the law as well as voiding your insurance by doing this. So, even if you get pulled over for speeding and a cop recognizes that you have dissabled your air bag he could probably give you a ticket for that.

I'm waiting for a Evo owner to total his car...or for them to come out w/ a aftermarket stearing wheel that is airbag friendly. Does anyone know if there is such a thing??
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:06 AM

you might want to buy the momo milenium evo wheel.... is the evo's but wo/ airbag....

here is a pic
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

But is that wheel compatible with an airbag?? Could you use your stock airbag and sensors with that bag?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Oh, and this is a closer stearing wheel to the evo then the one posted above.
Attached Thumbnails After market steering wheel/SRS light-momo-millenium.jpg  
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Daddymac
But is that wheel compatible with an airbag?? Could you use your stock airbag and sensors with that bag?
No. There are NO aftermarket steering wheels that are airbag compatible. But my God that steering wheel is SWEET.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

i say if u really want a nice looking ,comfortable steering wheel.. got get the evo one w/ bag.. i mean.. spending 200 for a regular momo one w/o a bag is kinda $tupid... think about it.. if i wer u..id spend like a lil more for SAFETY... unless u wana eat steering wheel when u crash... i bought the evo wheel w/ bag... im very happy.. direct fit, no need for hubs.. bolts right up and best part.. u feel safe just coz it has an airbag.. i say save ur money.. and get a safe wheel...

do the math:

wheel w/o bag + hub + trouble bypassing srs light > evo wheel with bag
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

no you cant use your oem airbag w/ another wheel, another thing your gonna lose is the horn and cruise control. normally all that stuff is built into the really long tape reel inside the wheel.

i did this on my honda and although the wheel was badass it was kinda a pita not having my horn, cruise was not a big deal as i hardly used it.

another thing to consider that once you do this ALL your airbags will be rendered useless....

best bet is get an oem evo wheel w/ airbag.

Quick Reply: After market steering wheel/SRS light