Notices

motor ticking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2005, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol yall are funny. ok have ur engine on . and when it starts ticking, push ur clutch in and see if it goes away, if thats it its just ur gear box and its perfectly normal, if it doenst stop ticking when u depress ur clutch then its something else.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it is a ticking at the top of the motor....and goes away wen you give a little throttle, that is lifter tick. This is common with motors that have HLA's (Hydraulic Lash Adjusters). HLA's are what the little bumps on the camshaft touch when they go round and round....if the oil pressure is low (common for low revs on our engines), the HLA is not "inflated" enough to keep in constant contact with the cam lobe....hence the "tick".....I hope this makes some sense.

Is this it, or did I just waste some time typing this?

Last edited by Eclipse2Lancer; Aug 10, 2005 at 08:36 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

mines done that since i bought it as well.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

havent notices any ticking and got about 37000 on my car. ive been runing full synthetic ever since first oil change. i use mobile 1 and was running royal purple for a while being i was geting royal at a discount. i get mobile 1 now at a discount so i run that now. no ticking though as of yet
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:04 PM

here is what i found out. Every time i put the AC on i hear a slight ticking.. if i turn the AC off it stops... its the AC clutch that is ticking or the pump itself... No problems to report! Somone try this and let me know if that works!
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:23 PM

OK lots of different stories. Here's mine:

When you are about to start your car, I hear a couple of ticks. NORMAL

When I start the engine, it sounds normal.

When I drive it around a while, stop, and listen to the engine, I hear the ticks too. ALSO, she sounds like she's misfireing every 5 seconds or so - that's the best I can explain. Idle is smooth at all time. This happened before and after installing the grounding cables.

No modifications yet. I have no clue!
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Get that sucker to the dealer. I'd have to imagine that's a warranty issue.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:45 PM

great input guys, i just took quickshifters advice adn did the mystery oil, its quieter now but it still ticks loudly at startup and quietly right before i turn the car off but during driving i dont notice it
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jeddi
OK lots of different stories. Here's mine:

When you are about to start your car, I hear a couple of ticks. NORMAL

When I start the engine, it sounds normal.

When I drive it around a while, stop, and listen to the engine, I hear the ticks too. ALSO, she sounds like she's misfireing every 5 seconds or so - that's the best I can explain. Idle is smooth at all time. This happened before and after installing the grounding cables.

No modifications yet. I have no clue!
Misfire may be a timing issue.......take it to the dealer to have it checked. If the ticking is about the same as tapping a pencil on a table, and it is at the top of the motor, that is normal lifter tick. If it is loud....check your oil level.
I use a 5w30 syn-blend, and very little ticking issues. The manual actually recommends 5w40 oil. Thinner oil is less likely to give you problems with the type of HLA's our motors have (teeny tiny oil inlet holes).
Old Aug 13, 2005, 07:21 AM

Gang, I thought I read in the owner's manual that periodic valve adjustments were necessary. I never heard of that in a modern car, what with hydraulic lifters and all. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Please check your maintenance schedule in the owners manual to confirm or deny. Thanks. Joe.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, it's in there. Here's the procedure:

VALVE CLEARANCE CHECK AND ADJUSTMENT

1.Before checks, check that the engine oil, starter and battery are normal. Also, set the vehicle in the following condition:
• Engine coolant temperature: 80 - 95°C (176 - 203°F)
• Lights and all accessories: OFF
• Transaxle: Neutral (P range on vehicles with A/T)
NOTE: Vehicles for Canada, the headlight, taillight, etc. remain lit even when the lighting switch is in "OFF" position but this is no problem for checks and adjustment.
2.Remove all of the ignition coils.
3.Remove the rocker cover.
4.Turn the crankshaft clockwise until the notch on the pulley is lined up with "T" mark on the timing indicator.

5.Move the rocker arms on the No.1 and No.4 cylinders up and down by hand to determine which cylinder has its piston at the top dead center on the compression stroke.
If both intake and exhaust valve rocker arms have a valve lash, the piston in the cylinder corresponding to these rocker arms is at the top dead center on the compression stroke.
6.Valve clearance inspection and adjustment can be performed on rocker arms indicated by white arrow mark when the No.1 cylinder piston is at the top dead center on the compression stroke, and on rocker arms indicated by black arrow mark when the No.4 cylinder piston is at the top dead center on the compression stroke.
7.Measure the valve clearance.
If the valve clearance is not as specified, loosen the rocker arm lock nut and adjust the clearance using a thickness gauge while turning the adjusting screw.

Standard value (hot engine):
Intake valve: 0.20 mm (0.008 inch)
Exhaust valve: 0.30 mm (0.012 inch)
8.While holding the adjusting screw with a screwdriver to prevent it from turning, tighten the lock nut to the specified torque.
Tightening torque: 9 ± 1 N·m (80 ± 9 in-lb)
9.Turn the crankshaft through 360 degree angle to line up the notch on the crankshaft pulley with the "T" mark on the timing indicator.
10.Repeat steps (7) and (8) on other valves for clearance adjustment.
11.Install the rocker cover.
12.Install the ignition coils.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AdamRA
I thought it was the fuel pump making that ticking noise.
The ticking noises when you turn the key to on (not start) is, I think, the ABS, but I dunno. Ticking when the engine is running is probably the injectors, but it could be valves (check/change the oil).
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
Yep, it's in there. Here's the procedure:

VALVE CLEARANCE CHECK AND ADJUSTMENT
1.Before checks, check that the engine oil, starter and battery are normal. Also, set the vehicle in the following condition:
• Engine coolant temperature: 80 - 95°C (176 - 203°F)
• Lights and all accessories: OFF
• Transaxle: Neutral (P range on vehicles with A/T)
NOTE: Vehicles for Canada, the headlight, taillight, etc. remain lit even when the lighting switch is in "OFF" position but this is no problem for checks and adjustment.
2.Remove all of the ignition coils.
3.Remove the rocker cover.
4.Turn the crankshaft clockwise until the notch on the pulley is lined up with "T" mark on the timing indicator.

5.Move the rocker arms on the No.1 and No.4 cylinders up and down by hand to determine which cylinder has its piston at the top dead center on the compression stroke.
If both intake and exhaust valve rocker arms have a valve lash, the piston in the cylinder corresponding to these rocker arms is at the top dead center on the compression stroke.
6.Valve clearance inspection and adjustment can be performed on rocker arms indicated by white arrow mark when the No.1 cylinder piston is at the top dead center on the compression stroke, and on rocker arms indicated by black arrow mark when the No.4 cylinder piston is at the top dead center on the compression stroke.
7.Measure the valve clearance.
If the valve clearance is not as specified, loosen the rocker arm lock nut and adjust the clearance using a thickness gauge while turning the adjusting screw.

Standard value (hot engine):
Intake valve: 0.20 mm (0.008 inch)
Exhaust valve: 0.30 mm (0.012 inch)
8.While holding the adjusting screw with a screwdriver to prevent it from turning, tighten the lock nut to the specified torque.
Tightening torque: 9 ± 1 N·m (80 ± 9 in-lb)
9.Turn the crankshaft through 360 degree angle to line up the notch on the crankshaft pulley with the "T" mark on the timing indicator.
10.Repeat steps (7) and (8) on other valves for clearance adjustment.
11.Install the rocker cover.
12.Install the ignition coils.
Are you f'ing serious? This isn't something that Mitsu expects the owner to do is it? I am going to look at my manual......
Old Aug 16, 2005, 08:13 PM

The "Valve Clearance Check and Adjustment" posted by Myszkewicz are the instructions from the Lancer Service/Repair manual. If you intend to do it yourself just follow those instructions. It took me about 2.5 hours the first time I did that and 1.5 hour the second time. It's not that difficult - just requires some patience.

Once I completed this adjustment the second time, the loud ticking noise by the valves/lifters was significantly diminished. It sounded like when I first got the car.

You can bring the car to the dealer to get it done as it is part of the the maintenance schedule on the RA. To my understanding the dealer says it's about a 1.5 hour job.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to pick up a new set of feeler gauges before I do mine. I'm sure it's due, though, I've got 42k on my car now.