Notices

pinging engine noise due to aftermarket.....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2005, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pinging engine noise due to aftermarket.....

Hi I have a 2004 ralliart with a few mods. I have a rrm short ram intake and exhaust.
I have just put my car in for service due to pinging noises in the engine. The dealership says it is caused to the aftermarket parts! Has anyone had any similar problems with this? Please let me know! I only put CHEVRON GAS IN IT and the dealership is claiming it is the gas however had the problem for 5 months when I was only putting premium gas in now I am putting regularbut still have the noise.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

I have a 'ticking' noise from the engine, but what i've heard from the dealership, and others on here, its normal. I have never heard of a new car's engine making a ticking noise that was normal, but we'll have to wait and see.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Of course the dealer is going to say it's the aftermarket parts causing it. Otherwise, it's a warranty repair, and comes out of their pocket. I bet if I took my car in with the same complaint, they'd tell me it was my aftermarket springs or swaybar bushings or something.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

yah... so your warranty pretty much just walked out the door...
Old Oct 19, 2005, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CF-Ninja
yah... so your warranty pretty much just walked out the door...
Yeah... unless you're really cool with all the service reps, you might get kinda screwed outa this one. Going in about a small problem with all your aftermarket stuff on might have been a big boo-boo.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

The dealership cannot prove that said aftermarket parts were the cause of the problem. Pinging in the engine is not caused by an intake or an exhaust.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make them prove it, and be there when they prove it or try to.. some of these dealerships are sneaky. But yea i tend to go through the killer process of removing all the aftermarket parts from my cars when i bring them back to the dealership. Obviously if you look closely you can tell there were other parts installed, but that's only if you've seen the parts installed and know what you're looking for.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 03:25 PM

Think I am going to take off the aftermarket stuff and take it back in to the dealership to prove to them its not the aftermarket intake or exhaust.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

They are full of it. Plain and simple.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

I also have this Ticking noise from the engine... first i though it was my Injen CAI hitting the engine but it was on there good and tight. then i heard it some more. I brought it to the dealership and he said "where do you get your oil changes?" and i get mine at Wal-Mart. They said the ticking is due to the "after-market" oil filter. since the Mitsubishi Oil Filter has this blah blah blah in it. I am gonna get my next oil change from mitsu just to see what happens. he also said it was normal but ehh whatever. I personally think its like one of the Tapets or something just needs to be adjusted, but we are just gonna have to find out.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Starlite Demon
I also have this Ticking noise from the engine. I personally think its like one of the Tapets or something just needs to be adjusted, but we are just gonna have to find out.
This is what I'm thinking. I'm developing a noise in my engine (much more noticeable when cold), and I'm also thinking it's got something to do with the valve clearances. You're supposed to check them every 30k miles, and I'm over 47k, so I'm sure mine are off. I guess I better either find my feeler gauges or buy a new set. Maybe I'll even do a little write-up on it.

For archival purposes, the valve clearance for a fully warmed up engine is as such:

Intake valve: 0.20 mm (0.008 inch)
Exhaust valve: 0.30 mm (0.012 inch)
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

yes plz do! if u find out more about tell me becuz i am also curious
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:19 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
This is what I'm thinking. I'm developing a noise in my engine (much more noticeable when cold), and I'm also thinking it's got something to do with the valve clearances. You're supposed to check them every 30k miles, and I'm over 47k, so I'm sure mine are off. I guess I better either find my feeler gauges or buy a new set. Maybe I'll even do a little write-up on it.

For archival purposes, the valve clearance for a fully warmed up engine is as such:

Intake valve: 0.20 mm (0.008 inch)
Exhaust valve: 0.30 mm (0.012 inch)
Be prepared to burn your hands. I wish Mitsu would publish the cold specs, would be easier to check and set the lash.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

how do you adjust this?
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

I've always heard that when you turn your car off and it's ticking, then it's the engine cooling down from being hot. If you are talking about when it's running then sorry, I don't know about that. Here is some info on the matter:

Warranty Info
Warranty Info
I found more info on this.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says that a manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim because of an aftermarket part, unless the part in question actually CAUSED the problem that the warranty claim is about.

That means that if you install aftermarket shocks, and then your turbo blows, the manufacturer cannot deny you warranty coverage on the turbo. (Unless the shocks somehow directly caused the turbo failure, which defies reason.)

But if you install an ECU chip upgrade that increases turbo boost, and then your turbo fails, the manufacturer could probably deny your claim. It is reasonable to think that increased boost could lead to a turbo failure. (That doesn't mean it does...we have not seen a single turbo failure attributed to an ECU mod.)

Of course, that's just the law. Reality is that the dealer can make life awfully hard on you if you pull in with your lowered car and they decide they're not going to cover your turbo failure just on principle. While the law is on your side, the dealer service department may or may not be. For that reason, we suggest you get to know your local service manager. Be honest with him or her; ask what is the department's policy on aftermarket modifications and warranty service. You'll find a range of stances, from super-conservative ("We don't work on modded cars, ever") to liberal ("Yeah, we even install turbo upgrades here at the dealer!"). Find a service department you can live with.

Note that we do NOT endorse any kind of deception in terms of warranty coverage, including parts-swapping or any other "mod reversal" to try to gain warranty coverage. If you buy an aftermarket part and it causes a problem, it's YOUR problem, and there's no reason the manufacturer should pay for it. If you are modifying the car, be mature and face up to the consequences if the mods DO cause a problem. (For more help on dealing with a warranty repair, see the SEMA web site.)

It sounds simple enough on paper, but there are lots of fuzzy gray areas. What about a clutch problem on a car running higher turbo boost? What about transmission trouble? What if your front ball joints give out and the car is lowered? Did the lowering cause the problem? Or does it happen on lots of non-lowered cars? Be prepared to make your case, and be prepared for the decision to not be in your favor at times. If you really love your warranty and never want to pay for your own repairs, we recommend NOT modifying your car at all.

But if you want to have a fun time taking a great car and making it better, the way YOU think it should be, and you're willing to take your warranty lumps if they happen, then you're our kind of car owner.

Provided By: http://www.machevo.com/index.html

http://www.alternativeauto.com/water.../warranty.html

another resource for warranty related issues. some good insight, nothing ground breaking though.

posted by -James

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
By the way, for those that didn't know, there is a federal law prohibiting what the dealership tried to do(Mark Mitsu denying coverage for something claiming mods were present elsewhere). The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that is illegal for a dealership to deny coverage based on the fact that there are aftermarket parts unless they can prove that the afermarket part specifically caused the stock part in question to fail. Even then they can only deny coverage to that one part. Here is a link to the governments site about it. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm
The next time a dealership tries to give you that **** tell them you will have them brought up on charges.

Here's a good write-up on Evom if you don't feel like wading through all that legal bull****. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=magnuson-moss

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: pinging engine noise due to aftermarket.....