Notices

first oil change!!! ECU Reflash!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2005, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first oil change!!! ECU Reflash!!!

well, yesterday i went in for the RA's first oil change at 2400 miles in 4 months. i know, i went a month over but i had to reschedule and they told me it was going to be a month. i was like whatever. anyway, when i turned the car in, i asked if they would reflash the ecu. of course they asked me why, but i just kind of bull****ted with them and told them i want the car broke in my way. so they did it and they put on the bill something like internal repair and it was like a $35 charge. i didn't have to pay a cent since the first oil change is free.

well, to get to the point. i really have to say wow! i don't know if anyone else did this on their first oil change but i've heard rumors of the RA getting a nicer "set of *****" after the first oil change so i went ahead and said what the hell, i'll reflash the ecu. now i know for a fact that evo's and sti's pick up some power from a simple reflash so i just thought maybe the RA would pick up a little if any. and boy it did. you wouldn't believe the cars i raced last night just to spank their ***!!! i know we can't post street races so if anyone wants to read about my kills, go to mitsu united . com under the kills section. the first thing i noticed tho was that the RA had really picked up some torque. hitting 2nd feels awesome! and 3rd gear has a pretty decent pull now! now i know some people may say impossible, and i honestly probably wouldn't believe it myself if i hadn't done it. but i'm telling you that was probably the best thing i did for my car. questions comments welcome.

brad
Old Dec 10, 2005, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

What kind of reflash are you talking and by whom?

Mitsubishi?

WADAD
Old Dec 10, 2005, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

^- what he said.

I stock flash won't do anything except in this case waste your money(unless there was a recall).
Old Dec 10, 2005, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by r3z0nate
^- what he said.

I stock flash won't do anything except in this case waste your money(unless there was a recall).
What he said, a stock reflash is just going to erase everything and put it back on exactly the same way into your ecu... So, ya, your butt dynos off.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

the only thing i san say positive about this post is...maybe at first when he was breaking his car in.. he didn't drive it hard... and him thinking that a "reflash" to stock would help.. he drove it hard after the stock reflash..and that may have had some slight increase on the ecu. btw.. candycain... those reflashes you're thinking of... for a low end one.. usually cost around $200..

Last edited by keviin; Dec 10, 2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 03:29 PM

I'm very confused about this "flash back to normal" on a RA.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

There is no aftermarket reflash for this car, only piggyback.

What he had done could have been done by just simply un-plugging the negative cable and plugging it back in after 10 minutes.

I've heard they use a diff. break in oil until the cars first change.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 04:44 PM

well, what i think it did was let the car reprogram to guam's climate. it learned it's surroundings so to speak. all i know is that there is no way i would have won a couple of races that same night had i not had the oil change at least and i think the reflash did it too. i was told by an 05 rsx type s owner that my car is pretty fing fast! anyways, i have been driving my car a little hard. i have went to the track twice before my first oil change, i did shift like 1000 rpms early tho and was trapping with low mph. i can't wait to go back tho. my friend pulled a 15.8@86 in his TC with injen cai, megan racing header, and injen exhaust and lets just say when i raced him it wasn't pretty for him. lol.

thanks for everyone's comments. sorry for the confusion. i didn't think many people would agree with me. i highly doubt anyone has asked for a reflash at their first oil change, so i said what the hell and did it. it wasn't a waste of money because it was free. so i think it was worth it. the car has a lot more torque than what it had before. now i'm just waitin on pr_mivec to get a hold of that PR shop so i can get my ecu done and then start with the modding.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think that they intentionally use a different oil for break-in. I do know that it's not recommended to use a synthetic (which most of us switch to) until it's been broken in.

As for your reflash....yea your butt dyno is off. You can gain some power by resetting the ECU and driving hard so it tunes itself accordingly, but not that much power...
Old Dec 10, 2005, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

i would flash my ecu but i dont have any boobies......
Old Dec 10, 2005, 07:52 PM

lol, that's funny^^
Old Dec 10, 2005, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ralli04Art
i would flash my ecu but i dont have any boobies......

ba-da-bing!
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

I honestly dont see how resetting it back to stock is going to get you anywhere other than more wasted money. That'd be like me doing a cold boot on my laptop. Its essentially the same philosophy. I think its just the thought that you got your oil changed and in your mind, you think you have more power. Sort of how like you put on an SRI and say you feel the rush of power, when in reality, you arent noticeably any faster. Get my drift?
Old Dec 11, 2005, 12:04 AM
Account Disabled

its all in your head
Old Dec 11, 2005, 01:12 AM

right, it must be. i couldn't get any faster than a 16.0 in the quarter last time i went and my friend takes his tc to the track for the first time and runs a 15.8 and i walk him like a dog. plus i managed to scoot away from a 05 rsx. i'm just telling you what i think and my results. it could all be in my mind. who knows. but before all this, i raced a different friend that has already pcs'ed to little rock and him with injen cai, carbon fiber hood, and header back exhaust walked me like i walked my friend the other night with more mods. and you can't say it was because of the drivers either because that friend ran a 16.0! so i must have gained something. the proof i have must not be relavent enough. i'll make sure to get the race against the rsx on video and show you guys!!

Quick Reply: first oil change!!! ECU Reflash!!!