Notices

So your sitting at MMNA headquaters in the boardroom...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2005, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WoRkZ
Well, it's not like the RA is an OZ with a bigger engine... but anyway
I wasn't implying that it was. I was just saying, if they are limited to one engine for the entire non-Evo Lancer lineup for the first year or so, they probably won't have a Ralliart model until they can do more to differentiate it from the lineup. I don't think suspension tweaks are enough to make an RA better then an ES and OZ, if they all came with the same motor. Or maybe they'll have non Mivec versions in the ES and OZ, then the RA gets it along with better I/E for perhaps a 15-20hp advanatage. Maybe the RA will take a year off until they develop a turbo version, or it gets dropped completely and they come out with a Lancer with a 2.0 option that is cheaper then the rest. I dunno.

They just announced a co-CEO for MMNA today(yesterday). His name is Hiroshi Harunari. Maybe this means a new commitment to the American market to have a Japanese co-leader with a direct link to the motherland. More cool stuff should follow I think.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WoRkZ
-The new lancer model (2008 model year, available in the fall of 2007) will get the new 2.4l engine as a base engine (would put out in excess of 150HP). The RalliArt should remain, but be placed closer to the middle ground, between the base model and the EVO X. The engine will be a mildly-turbocharged [my personnal guess is on 7psi] version of the new 2.4l engine and should put out in excess of 200HP. The styling differences between the base Lancer and the RA should be maintained, as well as the difference in driving dynamics... again, to place the RA smack down in the middle between the two extremes in the Lancer lineup.-
I totally agree. There's a place for people willing to pay a couple thou more for that turbo (koffkoffSRT4koffkoff) but not really crazy enough to buy an Evo. Plus, the extra high performance, more aggressive styling and AWD give the Evo plenty of distinctions from a Turbo Ralliart.

While the Evo is a VERY reasonably priced car for the performance you get (starting at 29k) can Mitsu really ignore the youth market calling for cheap speed? You've got SRT-4 (RIP) Cobalt SS Supercharged, WRX, a supercharger available for the Scion TC... wake up Mitsu! The time is right for a turbo Lancer... and you have the perfect model already! Hell, then you could make a turbo Outlander as well!

The only shame is, since it's a new motor, we can't take advantage of it on our cars.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

1)I think it should be at least 190 hp

2)Stick with FWD, if you really need AWD the buy an evo

3)Keep it NA to keep the price down, you dont need a turbo to achieve 190 hp

4)The evo can compete with the WRX STI, its out of the RA's league

5)Definitely keep the MIVEC, keep the good technology

6)Same spoiler, some nice 17"s would be cool but not necessary. SMALLER steering wheel, similar to evo's.

7)Seats with more support, smaller steering wheel with leather, NO NAVI SYSTEM (this is suppose to be a sporty car, use mapquest ) Leather would be nice, but something like that would jerk the price up, if you REALLY need leather get an evo. Just some sporty looking fabric. Some suede-like material. BRIGHTER interior lights. Beef up the suspension a bit for a lower look. 6-disc changer should stay an option

8) We dotn wanna make it more than 22 grand or so fully loaded, still need it affordable. Thats why we dont need a turbo, or leather, and navi system.

(I am thinking from a developer's POV)
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKRalliArt04
1)I think it should be at least 190 hp

2)Stick with FWD, if you really need AWD the buy an evo

3)Keep it NA to keep the price down, you dont need a turbo to achieve 190 hp

4)The evo can compete with the WRX STI, its out of the RA's league

5)Definitely keep the MIVEC, keep the good technology

6)Same spoiler, some nice 17"s would be cool but not necessary. SMALLER steering wheel, similar to evo's.

7)Seats with more support, smaller steering wheel with leather, NO NAVI SYSTEM (this is suppose to be a sporty car, use mapquest ) Leather would be nice, but something like that would jerk the price up, if you REALLY need leather get an evo. Just some sporty looking fabric. Some suede-like material. BRIGHTER interior lights. Beef up the suspension a bit for a lower look. 6-disc changer should stay an option

8) We dotn wanna make it more than 22 grand or so fully loaded, still need it affordable. Thats why we dont need a turbo, or leather, and navi system.

(I am thinking from a developer's POV)
I think you need more power than that, that's why I fervently believe that we need a turbo-charged Ralliart. And remember, there is a "base" WRX, not just the STI. I feel it can be done in the 22k range, SRT-4 did it, and WRX does it with AWD for a few thou more.

On everything else I agree.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ralliartist
SRT-4 did it,
Yeah, see how long that car lasted

The interior was pure crap. The suspension sucked just as bad. Alls you got was a fast car. The base WRX is in a league of its own sort of. Yeah 190 should be upped a bit to 200-210 perhaps. Now we need to compete with the new SI. If we upped the power to 200, we would certainly have the torque upped to around 195. Man then the RA would kick so much ***.

edit: The WRX does cost about 4 grand more, but you need to realize that we need to keep the price absolutely no more than 22, and if we added a turbo and AWD, it would jack the price to well over 24-25, and we need a car that is affordable.

Last edited by BLKRalliArt04; Dec 13, 2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

(on the topic of SRT-4 costing 22k)

Originally Posted by BLKRalliArt04
Yeah, see how long that car lasted

The interior was pure crap. The suspension sucked just as bad. Alls you got was a fast car. The base WRX is in a league of its own sort of. Yeah 190 should be upped a bit to 200-210 perhaps. Now we need to compete with the new SI. If we upped the power to 200, we would certainly have the torque upped to around 195. Man then the RA would kick so much ***.

edit: The WRX does cost about 4 grand more, but you need to realize that we need to keep the price absolutely no more than 22, and if we added a turbo and AWD, it would jack the price to well over 24-25, and we need a car that is affordable.
The SRT-4 wasn't all that bad, sold well, and really only got killed because of the death of the Neon line in general. As far as the WRX thing goes, I don't think we need teh AWD (as you said, if you need AWD, get an Evo) but if we got a mivec engine with a turbo and the previously mentioned suspension upgrades (not forgetting better stock tires) we'd make any SI owner weep.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe we could get a turbo kit, but the AWD is certainly out of the question, we cant have both or the price would certainly go over what it should be. I think the main car we need to compete with is the SI. Maybe a medium between the base WRX and the SI. It also doesnt need to be all about power. But practicality as well.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Okay, AWD might make the price go up considerably but for me, like most of the ralliart owners, I didn't/couldn't get an evo because my insurance would have been so ridiculously high that I couldn't afford both the car and the insurance...

Adding a turbo to the RA would probibly make the insurance somewhat similar to the EVO. Some people also didn't buy a ralliart because it wasn't awd like a legacy or WRX. I'm all for making the RA have all these options but for the price, make it higher and add turbo and you might as well buy an evo rs.

Practically, they probibly couldn't change much except the interior which needs a huge overhaul, some minor styling for the exterior, and maybe an LSD without effecting the price that much.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Right. I don't think the answer is to turn the RA into a WRX fighter. Either a DOHC head and high revs so it can be a Si/RSX style car, or turbo to go up against the Cobalt SS/SRT-4. I don't see Mitsu adding AWD to any other cars any time soon.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Just as long as we can have a cooler interior and can beat an SI, and the price is reasonable. Then we should be content.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Everything costs money but to make it a better performance FWD in its catagory....

LSD and 20 more ponies. Clean up th e look of it. I know the guys at MMNA who will be reading this. Don't goof this opportunity for imput up.

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Well, LSD should be a must. It is something I've wanted from day one..if you can't get AWD this is the next best thing.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Oh yeah i forgot about the LSD. Thats DEFINITELY a must-have. Perhaps if we cant get 17"s, then 16"s with some GOOD tires would definitely work. Actually that would probably work out better, so they can reserve the 17 inchers for evos.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dohc, mivec, lsd, proyector head lights, 2 piston calipers on the brake system...
and ill think more later....
Old Dec 13, 2005, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Ehh, they're putting 18's on Eclipses. Should be no problem for the RA to have 17in Enkeis of a different style from the Evos. They keep hinting at bringing over a small car too, like a coupe or hatch, similar but not necessarily the Colt. Would everyone rather stick with the 4 door Lancer? Or would a RA style cheaper 3-door car rob too many Eclipse GS sales?

Quick Reply: So your sitting at MMNA headquaters in the boardroom...