Notices

So your sitting at MMNA headquaters in the boardroom...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LancerMMC
GPT you cited that Lancers have had more sold units than Impreza. But Mitsu also throws in all sorts of rebates and incentives which kill resale value, while Subaru cars have outstanding resale. It might not seem that important, but try to trade in your RA and you'll see what I mean.
Subaru uses incentives to sell cars too. They aren't immune to it. I contend that Lancers have a good resale value, in fact I showed black book values of it in another thread where a guy was complaining about the very same thing. It varies from region to region of course, but the results aren't as bleak as you say. The RA was very competitive. I should hope the average Subaru Impreza has a higher resale value, they definitely cost more then the average Lancer.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Mitsu (hell all car manufacturers) should look at the new Civic lineup when coming out with their next premier compact car. Very impressive machinery for the $$$.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, it doesn't appeal to everyone. I never liked the bugeyes front either. But it kind of grows on some, and on the spec sheet it's still better than the RA.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

-

I think the new Civic looks like crap, even the SI (which is the least ugly on the lot)... so I sure as hell hope Mitsubishi can come up with a decent design for the new Lancer and kick all these losers collective a$ses!

They already have the best combustion engine technology out there... the value is there too. All that is missing is a great looking car... and tons of marketing and ads for Pete's sake!

-
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerMMC
and on the spec sheet it's still better than the RA.
But in the only comparison I have seen between the two cars, the RA bested it.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
RWD is a pipe dream, I mean really - we are talking about a platform that has to support Mitsu's cheapest vehicle as well as their performance car. RWD cars don't do so hot at rallying either.

The only way to do a RWD car would be to develop a new platform. That would take, like, a billion dollars. Then it would probably only be for one car. A DOHC MIVEC head on a 3.8L V6 and then call it a 3800GT or whatever. Might as well twin turbo it for kicks, then charge 50 grand. Oh yeah, I can see that happening.

I also think bolt on factory supplied turbo kits are out of the question. Superchargers are easier and less labor to install, and less possible to goof up and don't mess with emmisions. No manufacturer has ever done a bolt on turbo to my knowledge in a common car.
From a business standpoint, it is a risky venture changing the platform, but in another way, not everything will need to be re-researched. The evo already has the bottom for a rear drive shaft, and it is pretty much using a lancer based frame. It's just remounting the engine longitudinally and making new motor mounts that will be tricky. The rwd will give buyers a greater incenitive to buy over a SCION or a Civic with all its current gismos.

but then again, i'm no business major, just an engineer in training and that is my opinion.

But honestly, my old man is a systems engineer for Toyota. Their philosophy to being the greatest car manufacturer in the world has always been continual improvement. Of course, by that they mean improving the current product and not innovating so much that you lose a lot of money in R&D. Based on the success of Scion and it's KISS ways, I think mitsu should look at that as an example.

1. Keep the evo and not drop it like a rock like toyota did with the supra.
2. Make the lancer a more reliable, luxurious simple car.
3. Improve the lancer by making it a bit more powerful with better fuel economy, improve safety and the interior,
4. and cut back more unnecessary car models.

In addition, if I were in the market for a new car, what makes the scion TC so much more appealing to me than a lancer ralliart?
Answer for me is: All of what I mentioned above except for maybe power. Quality and the bang for the buck. Just sit in one.

Last edited by mr96gsx408; Dec 14, 2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mr96gsx408
The evo already has the bottom for a rear drive shaft, and it is pretty much using a lancer based frame. It's just remounting the engine longitudinally and making new motor mounts that will be tricky.
I am no engineer, but I realize what you just said might be fine for a one off on Monster Garage, or Chop, Cut, Rebuild, but it would never work for an OEM who has to pass all kinds of structural, safety and budget constraints. I understand Nissan's FM platform is very versatile and if I am not mistaken, has the ability to support both FWD, RWD and AWD cars with longitudinal and transverse mounted VQ's - (I thought it was under just the Z/G and FX, but I guess the Altima and Maxima use it too) but it was designed that way from the jump and is under a more expensive car then the typical Lancer. The Lancer platform just isn't going to be able to enjoy that kind of versatility and remain a cheap car. Neither is the Civic, Corolla, Sentra, etc. that it has to compete with.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

-

I agree. But he's got a point about the quality... and the new global Lancer is already rumoured to be a higher quality car, with good ergonomics and quality finish.

-
Old Dec 16, 2005, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

I'm sorry... I didn't mean to start a Lancer vs Impreza debate. I like both cars as my sig says. I just think the Lancer, especially the Ralliart could use a lot of improvement and should try to compete with the WRX while the OZ competes with the 2.5i.

For me the Impreza is a better car, but that's of course a personal opinion. I was looking at either the RA or 2.5i and spec wise, value, and even a slightly less MSRP I went Subaru. You might think the '06 is ugly, which seems to be the only problem people have with it, but the Evo X Charger aint exactly winning a beauty pageant in my opinion.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

I think that first question to ask is:
What trim levels should the 2007/08 Lancer have in its line-up?

IMHO the business case for the current ES, OZ, RA line-up is still valid.

Therefore, what would the next RA need to be competetive in the segment (next gen Sentra, Si, and Corolla XRS (?))?
Power should, and most likely will, come from the new 2.4l DOHC MIVEC found in the new Outlander. (I belive this due to the distinct possibility that the new 2.4l will eventually also power the next gen base Galant and Eclipse.)

Specs: 190hp/170 ft-lbs torque (makes 170hp/165 ft-lbs torque in the new Outlander)

The Outlander features monotube shocks and I belive these will transfer over to the Lancer, or at the very least, the RA. Either way, IMO the existing suspension set-up is decent enough... (better tires please!!!)
Though a 6-speed manual would be perfect, I think will stick with the 5-speed due to cost (as long as we don't get stuck with the 6-speed CVT, I'm happy)
The Outlander also features use of aluminum panels, again, I see application potential for this in the RA to improve handling.
My $0.02.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think we will see the CVT. I read an interview with Osamu and he said there were know plans to bring it over.

The RA needs something more to keep it from being an also ran. The 6-spd and better tires are a must. It is going to have to rev higher or be F/I I think to become more competitive.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Realistically, they wouldnt put a six speed in our cars. This is due simply they wouldnt want an RA to be better than an evo in any way other than price. Just thinking from a developer's perspective
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

With the budget.. no way for a turbo to push out 220-240.
I say keep it fwd, maybe luckly some type of lsd, some option for sick wheels.

Keep it N/A, and pump it close to 200 hp. Or some simple supercharger or turbo to make around 200hp.

The key thing is to compete wit the new SI and WRX platforms, and also try to get related performance to the srt-4. Try to get the interior like the JDM ralliart.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLKRalliArt04
Realistically, they wouldnt put a six speed in our cars. This is due simply they wouldnt want an RA to be better than an evo in any way other than price. Just thinking from a developer's perspective
+1 honestly i think that we're getting our hopes up, although i would love to see a turbo RA from the factory or even AWD, i just dont see them doing it. as much as the evos cost they would really have to jack the price up for turbo or AWD. i just see them making a new design(interior, exterior) and probably keep the same mivec and instead of 165hp theyll get it up to maybe 180hp. the reason i say that is because they didnt give the evo 9 much more than the 8 and thats their top car so their not gonna spend alot of time worrying about the RA. i really hope that im wrong about all of this but only time will tell, ill just keep my fingers crossed
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoJutsu
With the budget.. no way for a turbo to push out 220-240.
I say keep it fwd, maybe luckly some type of lsd, some option for sick wheels.

Keep it N/A, and pump it close to 200 hp. Or some simple supercharger or turbo to make around 200hp.

The key thing is to compete wit the new SI and WRX platforms, and also try to get related performance to the srt-4. Try to get the interior like the JDM ralliart.
that sounds pretty close to what theyll probably make the final product

Quick Reply: So your sitting at MMNA headquaters in the boardroom...